1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Not a talent scout but is #2 draft pick supposed to have single digit PER?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JCDenton, Jan 19, 2022.

1. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Wow. Did you really just... Now that's a classy take!

hakeem94 likes this.
  2. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

Everyone on CF has the three 7s, 7-Figure Salary, 7-inch Dong, and 7% body fat.

No Worries and Bo6 like this.
  3. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

Talent scouts don't use PER to evaluate players

4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Silus would also made Mobley look not so good...its 100% gotta beleive it....

JG is a terrible player but i have to give kid some slack because silus is his superior...

for gods sake hes denying alpi of roy and even of the playing time

hes gotta be a big big factor in why jalen green is not good

5. Bo6

Bo6 Member

4's might be more accurate.

4-figure salary, 4 inch dong, 40% body fat

6. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

thats probably why theyre so wrong oftentimes

7. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Mostly, all this evaluation of Green is WAY premature.

But there is one thing. Isn't this the guy who was supposed to be the most NBA ready of the top picks based on all that G-League play he had accumulated?

GotGame15 and hakeem94 like this.
  8. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

That's a good ammo to use in the college vs g-league prospects. debate.
    Personally i think there's still too much small sample size of g-league players to clearly say that college train dem rookies better.

It's also important to note that coaching, team composition does play a role in making Green look good. We are basically having a young prospect learn pg, a new hc, etc, etc.

Like u said it's way too early to fully evaluate Green, but he does look like he needs to hone his game. Luckily we are rebuilding, and hopefully the org doesn't fk it up.

9. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Lol...I love these "is he a bust?" posts.
    He...is...a...19...year...old...rookie.

10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

there are a a lot of 19 years old who are terrible at basketball why we had to draft him of all people?

11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

they probably thought marketing wise, he has insane support despite being bad basketball player

12. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Lol, he's not terrible at basketball. Please stop.
    YOU are a bad basketball player, this is a 19 year old in the NBA.

13. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Nothing wrong with being hard on the guy. He talked the talk and hasn’t walked the walk as of yet. He said he’d win rookie of the year and defensive accolades. He isn’t even first team rookie at this point. Hope he gets there, as it is still early. His lack of defense always concerned me as I wrote on this board prior to the draft. He does have elite offensive skills….just needs to put in the work.

14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

As someone that was in the Jalen Green camp - my only redeeming factor is i wanted them both, was hoping they could trade CWood ++ to Cleveland for the 4th pick - i have no clue what JG will turn into.

There is a scenario where he gets better and better and becomes that 25/5/5 guy.

There is a scenario where he is Jordan Clarkson, but worse.

But, it is what it is...

In the Sixers "bad years" they had picks including Vucevic, Jrue, MCW (who won ROY and then sucked), Embiid, Payton, Okafor, Simmons, Fultz... that's as many if not more misses than hits. Then there are the late teens+ type picks, also lots of misses, and some hits.

Do I aspire to be the 76ers, who when it is all said and done might have walked away with Embiid, who when healthy indeed is MVP level and good enough to fill around with others enough to be very competitive, yet still haven't advanced past the 2nd round? Well... not, but, they're just an example.

Memphis has drafted very well, and has 1 first round exit to show for it. Boston drafted crazy good, and is getting worse. The Kings and TWolves actually have some hits draft wise, and still suck suck suck. You can go on and on - Atlanta, Dallas, Utah, Phoenix, Cleveland...

What it means is.. this is hard. Even when you "hit", it might not work, and still takes a while. Which, admittedly, SUCKS.

You need the INCREDIBLY RARE back to back to back hits in a draft to build a potential dynastic team. GSW. OKC, yet outside factors still prevented a championship.

What I want to avoid - the Kings, TWolves, Magic scenarios. Year after year of drafting, even of players that are actually good, yet still always sucking. That's almost more important than anything else. That's a 10 year or more abyss of such ineptitude that even as a diehard basketball, NBA and of course Rockets fan, my interest would certainly wane.

What I am "ok" with beyond that is the fact that 3/4 of their first rounders at least seem like NBA players, that they're all INCREDIBLY young (Alpi is 4 months older than Paolo and younger than Chet) and still have legit upside cases where they could be really really good, and if that happens for 1 of the 3, that's a "win".

A note beyond all that... JG's MAIN two issues: (1) size, (2) efficiency. I'm not sure why he can't shoot. He was streaky, not bad, historically. The upside on that is lots of great scorers were horrible inefficient their rookie years. One thing I have been very happy about is his effort on defense. He still gets lost in scheme at times, but there are definitely moments where he looks like he can be a plus plus defender in the future. I mean this, because those are, ultimately, the two key factors to WINNING basketball. Being efficient offensively, while active, with effort defensively (then having those bigs to anchor the defense).

HI Mana, NewAge and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

lol i am not a terrible basketball player at all.. i am very good, high iq, willing and imaginative passer, team player, with a hookshot and tatesque, and better, finishes around the rim...

sengun and me would have beaten Jalen and KPJ in game of 2 vs 2

16. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

This is true? Is 31k current numbers?

17. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

I appreciate your satire.

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

lol its not a satire we would have beaten the scrubs

fancy dribbles NOT EQUAL playing good basketball

but perhaps if scott foster would have officiated then they might stand a chance

19. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I've seen you play....you couldn't beat Betty White yesterday

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I've always thought this argument was pretty hilarious....you must REALLY think a professional athlete is terrible if you want to compare them to any random jagoff on the internet.

If you had ANY respect for the athlete at all you'd only compare them to other professional athletes.....and that's what most people are doing when they say that a random professional athlete is terrible at the sport they play.

Of course they'd destroy people at the YMCA, that says literally nothing...

harold bingo likes this.