1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Nostalgia]First reference of ClutchFans or ClutchCity.net?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SwoLy-D, May 8, 2006.

1. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

A coworker, who goes by the nick I can't remember came into the office and showed me and another now member who lurks. He said there was this site where discussions about our Rockets took place. We were the biggest followers in the office and maybe department or entire University where we work, and this was a Godsend. I've been addicted since 2002, but lurked it anonymously since 2000.

When did you first hear of ClutchFans.net (or the artists formerly known as ClutchCity.net) or who referred you here?

2. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Back in 1999. I just did a search on Yahoo! and the site was one of the results.

3. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

A guy I used to know checked the front page every day in study hall my freshman year in high school. That would have been in '98. I wandered into the BBS shortly thereafter.

4. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

I'm not sure which year it was, but the first time I came across this site there was the April Fools joke up about turning clutchity into a Spurs fan site. I just remembered being really confused, and wondering why anyone would forsake the Rockets...

Haha. All I know is, that was a hell of a long time ago. And I was really young and gullible.

I didn't come across the message board until just recently. I used to read Clutch's witty game re-caps all the time. This site has always been so much better than rockets.com, and I have probably checked it thousands of times in my life.

5. Party Boy

Party Boy Member

i first came here thru a yahoo search in 1996 when i was 14 and clutch was still on a college server. my username back then was "CHI" and i was an annoying little kid to everyone.

can i have my old nick back clutch?

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Major was the first person I ever knew that visited Clutchcity.com. I registered on the BBS before he did; however. For the young 'uns, Major used to be known as shanna. He started that moniker during a "hot girl" thread because that was my psycho ex's name who would get mad at me anytime a hot girl was in our vincinity, much less me talking about one. I think his first post was something along the lines of "what are you doing talking about this stuff?!?!?!"

:)

7. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

It was pretty early on, 97 I think. Found it by searching Rockets. Took awhile to get on the bbs. I've tried to reclaim my original nick on here, but it never goes anywhere. I miss all the commentary on the site from the early days, the GARM is too hard to wade through.

8. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

i was 2 years behind him

9. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

First found clutchcity linked through a Rockets webring late 96 or early 97. I stumbled across the bbs a short time later, but mostly lurked early on.

10. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

RocketDawg, who does not post in here but does occasionally read the GARM (he has WAY more patience than I do) turned me onto the site. I waited about 4 months before posting.

BTW RocketDawg just had his first kid, congrats brutha.

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I think I pretty much joined the day I found the site. I was looking for information on the draft. That was May 2000. The Rockets had the 9th pick and eventually got Jason Collier. My first post, ironically, was about Kenyon Martin vs. Stromile Swift.

12. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

I don't exactly remember....was looking for an ootp leauge or something, somehow got mentioned to look at this board...i think thats how it went. Anyways been here ever since.

13. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Some guy I worked with was browsing the site one day and I asked him about it. I can't remember his name (real or bbs) so if you worked in IT at a company called Fugro back in 99 or 2000, then thanks! :)

14. RyanED

RyanED Member

I remember when I first heard of clutchfans.net. It was back in 2000, or 2001. I was too busy playing Diablo II to get around to joining clutchfans.net, and then they started charging. :confused: So now that clutchfans.net is now free (THanks Clutch!) I can post on here! :D :eek: :D I have been posting on the ezboard astros forum, but not here before this. I think clutchfans.net is a really good source of info for my AOL sports blog that I keep.

15. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I believe I became officially "hooked" when we traded for Pippen. Around then, I would print the wallpapers and hang them on my walls. :)

16. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

Googled Houston Rockets and chat group and voila!

17. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

I did the same thing at work. I still have a "Save Our Rockets" bumper sticker on my toolbox.

18. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It was Hakeem's last year with the team. I was actually trying to discuss the Rockets on some AOL BBS. I was fed up with the immaturity and poor level of discussion going on.

One of the posters on that board then told me I should check out ClutchCity.

I don't think I ever had a chance to properly think that person. It was such an amazing and refreshing thing to see level of discussion going on at that time.

That was two screen names ago. I kept having long periods of absence from the internet, often due to poverty, or other priorities. I would forget the screen name, and then have to make up a new one.

19. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

I found the site via saveourrockets.com the grassroots efforts by Jeff and others to save the Rockets from relocation. Was that 1999 or 2000? I cant remember.

Anyways, Id always been a big fan, and this was a cool site with cool people that enjoyed the same thing that I did - what could be better?

20. slickvik69

slickvik69 Contributing Member

Yea that's when I heard of it, when the Rockets were thinking of moving. Also my roommate posts here and I saw him posting, that's when I joined. I lurked mostly for a long time until I made my debut with the infamous "Indian Rapper" thread.