1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Norton Antivirus Troubles

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Nikos, Sep 21, 2004.

1. Nikos

Nikos Member

I am having trouble opening my word and excel files on my computer courtesy of my Norton Antivirus.

I had it before I came onto school campus, and my net works fine. But just yesterday I noticed it didn't let me open word or excel files, and it keeps giving me errors when it comes to Auto-Protect and updating my Virus Definitions.

I have Norton Internet Secrity, and it seems to let me update most stuff except for Anti-virus.

My school gave me a copy of it as well, and I tried to install that, but it won't let me for some reason.

And for some reason I can't REMOVE OR CHANGE my Norton Antivirus as it is, even when i follow the instructions.

Anyone know how I can fix this problem, or why it is occuring?

Thanks

2. Nanui Akahi

Nanui Akahi Contributing Member

i got the same problem too dude i dont have any freaking clue what to do

3. TraJ

TraJ Member

Try going to Start > Run and then type in msconfig. Click on the Sevices tab. At the bottom click on the "Hide All Microsoft Services." Of the services that remain, uncheck any that look like they have something to do with Antivirus or NIS. Restart your computer, then try uninstalling again. I had a problem with NIS 2003 awhile back. Although I only have one account on Windows XP, it wouldn't recognize that I was the administrator, and therefore wouldn't let me change any options or uninstall. This allowed me to at least uninstall the program.

4. jjryulee

jjryulee Member

change service tab is a method of your trouble possibly.
    also you can try to kill process .
    open "windows process tab " and find the process relevant to Norton Antivirus.
    in my opinions ,you can kill all process including word "tray".dont restart and then try to uninstalling Norton Antivirus.