1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

North Korea Fires Ballistic Missile Towards East

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by No Worries, Nov 28, 2017.

1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

North Korea Fires Ballistic Missile Towards East

North Korea has fired off a missile for the 18th time since President Trump has taken office.

2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Fire and fury coming!

[​IMG]

No Worries likes this.
  3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Trump and Kim Jong need each other to keep power in their respective countries.

Trump needs the threat of being attacked to keep everyone scared, and Kim needs the threat of their country being overtaken and given to South Korean leadership so the people of NK rally around Kim.

These two idiots are made for each other.

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

He must be doing it wrong because the more he makes me worry that he will stumble into a war, the more urgency I feel to get him out of office. I can't be the only one. Even congress, which wrote Bush a blank check to wage war after 9/11, is talking about blunting his control over nuclear weapons to make Trump less able to fight. If Trump did get us into an open conflagration, do you think the country will be rallying around the flag? Some will, but they'll be outraged by all us millions of "traitors" who will condemn him for it. This isn't 1984 yet.

Yung-T likes this.
  5. dobro1229

Yeah I absolutely believe its a miscalculation by the Trump admin. I think they saw the uptick he got in approval after the fake Assad strike, and they think that playing up Kim Jong actually helps him politically when I think it hurts him. I think this country is bi-partisan about very few things but being tired of wars are one of them.

The other more scary thought is that he's actually trying to get them to act so he can bank on Americans rallying behind the flag like we did after 9/11 as you allude to. I'm with you as well on this one that it wont be treated like 9/11 was at least I hope not. Actually longterm Bush ended up being harmed politically when it came out that there were significant errors by his administration that could have helped prevent the attack.

Either way, I'm with you that I believe its a miscalculation if there is political interest here to stoke up NK. It helps NK garnish power and legitimacy more than it does anything for us.

Deckard and da_juice like this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

If that's the Master Race then I want no part of it.

Deckard likes this.
  7. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Obama's rhetoric did not work.
    Trump's rhetoric has not work.
    Sanctions have not worked.

There are now two options: learn to live with North Korea's weapons program, or don't.

amaru likes this.
  8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

'We're going to handle it...'.

9. mick fry

mick fry Member

So the world watches as we once again handle a problem that must be taken care of for the good of the world.

10. Spooner

Spooner Member

Perhaps you weren't aware, but North Korea officially is at war with the United States. This is due to a Trump tweet in which they took as a direct threat.

11. Buck Turgidson

What in the blue **** are you talking about?

What "problem" is America tackling that the rest of the world is ignoring?

Middle East? Nope. Korea? Nope. Russia? Nope. Africa? Nope.

What am I missing?

12. mick fry

mick fry Member

Who the **** said they were ignoring? Nobody is ignoring but who the hell is going to do anything about this psycho mutha fuker but the U.S.?

13. Buck Turgidson

Your whole b.s. line about "...the whole world watches while the U.S...." pretty much states exactly that.

14. mick fry

mick fry Member

No it doesn't unless you're a dumbass. You said ignoring not me. Sanctions are not going to stop this regime.

15. da_juice

da_juice Member

You're probably right. There's a really good book by Victor Cha that I recommend everyone read. The book is from a few years ago, but he more or less predicted that the next administration (aka this one) would deal with a major crisis with North Korea.

I think a lot of this is scary for a number of reasons. One, nuclear proliferation from non allied states is just a scary thought in general- especially ones that have a tendency to fund rogue actors. Two, it signals to me that the Kim regime is trying to pacify threats from their own military by playing up the possibility of war- which means that there might be serious internal problems with the regime.

Worst case scenario, we end up with a collapsed North Korean state, a refugee crisis the likes we can't even imagine in Asia, and unsecured nuclear weapons on the peninsula.

All that said, I really don't see how we prevent N. Korean proliferation without a war.

16. dobro1229

What a load of garbage.

A. The United Nations has unanimously passed sanctions on NK for some time now.

B. As late as yesterday NATO has sounded the alarm publicly about NK and Russia but the US is undermining what NATO is trying to do to prevent “future war” as they put it.

The Trump administration has the ability to work with our allies so we don’t have to stand on an island but they continue to act as if the infrastructure of our post WW2 war prevention structure should be obliterated. Case in point - go look at the state departments gut job. The state department is maybe the most important factor in war prevention since WW2. Do we have one single diplomat engaging North Korea right now to find a diplomatic solution?

Also North Korea only acts emboldened because of Russia. Putin uses dictators like Assad and Kim Jung to help test and destabilize NATO and the UN. The ultimate goal for Putin is to break up NATO and regain the Baltic States. What is Trump doing to make sure Putin doesn’t start WW3?... oh yeah... he calls NATO obsolete and repeats the Putin talking point about some countries not paying their fair share.

So don’t come here spouting BS about our allies not rushing to our aid to put pressure on NK. Nobody wants Kim Jung to fire a nuke at anyone. You want strength in numbers, go tell Trump to bring back the state department, tell him to stop publicly undermining NATO, and put some actual pressure on Russia to back the F off of their support for dictators and cyber warfare.

(Also NATO officials as of yesterday recommended outreach to China for their help. Yet again another opportunity for China to seize the role as the top super power in the world. Congratulations to those Trump fans who thought “Nationalism” sounded pretty cool last year)

#16 dobro1229, Nov 28, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  17. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

The New York Times has sent Nicholas Kristof to North Korea. He was in Iraq in 2003 just before the invasion.

Just sayin'.

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

As you may have noticed, I've been very worried about exactly that for several months. War against North Korea would result in an incredible number of dead and maimed civilians, and not only in South Korea. We would suffer thousands of casualties and if, god forbid (I'm not religious, but if there's a Big Guy up there, I hope he's looking out for us), there is a nuclear exchange? Casualties in the millions. There's no question about us defeating this madman and his worm infested military, but it would be long, it would be bloody, and it might not be contained, an even worse nightmare. Starting a war is a frequent pastime of wannabe dictators with terrible approval numbers, who are worried about keeping their jobs - or staying out of prison.

This is one time where I have to disagree with No Worries. I'm worried. Two fat madmen on a collusion course, and they both think they know what they are doing. God help us all.

There's one thing that would not only severely hurt North Korea, but could help prevent nuclear proliferation by the regime. A blockade. We declare a naval blockade of North Korea, one that does not apply to China or Russia, while asking those two countries to honor it. Everyone else? We stop by force, if necessary. We would consult with both of those powers beforehand, of course, but we'd tell them that we are doing it, regardless, and if North Korea decides to fight if we do, then we fight. I would at least try that before a military strike, which would certainly lead to all out war, a war that is technically still in existence.

What I'm suggesting would be a last ditch attempt to stop their nuclear program, short of war. Assuming war doesn't break out when we declare a blockade, we offer major inducements to the regime if they will end their atomic weapons program. Billions in aid with an agreement, recognition of the regime's legitimacy (similar to what we did with Cuba in the 1960's after the Cuban Missile Crisis, except that instead of being a secret agreement, it would be public), on sight inspections by the United Nations to insure compliance, and a gradual withdrawal of our troops stationed in South Korea if North Korea signs a treaty ending the state of war that still exists. The withdrawal could be over a period of several years if the regime complies with the agreement. Just a thought.

#18 Deckard, Nov 28, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
    No Worries likes this.
  19. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

We have been quietly planning for an engagement with N Korea for awhile. N Korea knows this which is why they have been taunting the US with their missile program. The provoking has been going on before Trump. The question is are we really planning for an attack or is this cold-war tactics? I will not be surprised to hear about more of our troops being deployed in S Korea come beginning of the year.

20. mick fry

mick fry Member

What a load of liberal BS! You act like Kim has just now became a threat. If your boy Obama would have pressed the issue years ago we wouldnt be in this predicament but it goes back to the whole world watches as this ruthless dictator develops his nuclear capabilities then want to blame Trump because he is "undermining". So your proposition is to continue to sit and wait until he has the capability to rain ICBM's all over the earth. Can you imagine what position we would be in if Hillary was elected? I know it's against every fiber of a liberals being to take a stand but sometimes it must be done.

#20 mick fry, Nov 29, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2017