1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nope, I wont go there - Schlitterbahn building the Worlds tallest water slide

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DFWRocket, Nov 19, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Duncan McDonuts

Have you jumped Jacob's Well? Doesn't look as tall but it's a smaller target, more rocks, and kinda eerie how deeply you can see to the bottom.

The wife didn't want to hike to Devil's Waterhole but we did paddle our kayak by it.

2. Buck Turgidson

If there's a cliff or a swing on it, me and my idiot friends have all done backflips off of it.

"Hey! What the hell are ya doing?"

"The double-dooie-half-hooie-whoknows-what"

3. Lar

Lar Member

Yep, the Schlittercoaster. Terrifying and fun when I was a kid...saw many people wipe out on that when they got to the pool at the bottom (including memorably, my uncle captured on home video).

4. Buck Turgidson

The sled got air right at the top, I do believe that's the first time my balls jumped up into my throat.

Lar likes this.
  5. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

i have jumped from that spot many of times. TEAMIDIOT

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  6. leroy

leroy Member

I did enjoy watching to see how long it took people to make the decision to jump...especially from the boulder. I'd put the average around 30 minutes. Some went right away...others sat there stewing over their life choices for a good hour.

7. Buck Turgidson

Once you make the effort to get there, just take the plunge.

I've got pretty solid vertigo, so it's immediate go time.

ETA: so I'm hanging out of a helicopter with a camera in my hand, taking this pic:

[​IMG]

#47 Buck Turgidson, Mar 27, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I was there too. It's not that high but my jumping days are over.

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Notable Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

That's nothing -- this is "The Shingle' on Barton Creek 68-72 feet depending on the water level.

10. Buck Turgidson

Been there, done that. Paleface too. The climb back up sucks if you don't have buddy with a boat, I do remember that.

11. Buck Turgidson

Diving platforms at Hammerly?

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Notable Member
    Supporting Member

You jumped off the shingle? Not many can say they have -- it's 20-25 feet higher than Paleface -- there is another shingle like jump on Barton Creek that is much lower (about 50 feet) next to the natural bridge.

13. Buck Turgidson

The key, most important key, is to have a buddy down there checking for rocks and logs before you take the plunge.

14. Joshfast

Supporting Member

That’s one I haven’t done!

Texas has some great swimming and diving. I’ve been to Devils Waterhole, Barton Springs, Balmorhea, Hamilton Pool, Jacobs Well, Pace Bend and tubbed Comal and Guadelupe River. I’ve been to Pedernales Falls but never swam just hiked the river when it’s been low but I’m not sure that’s known as a swimming spot anyway.

15. Buck Turgidson

No idea if there still there, but HS....drink a few, smoke a few, climb the fence, then climb the ladder to your desired height. I just went cannonball, I was terrified.

Joshfast likes this.
  16. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

when I was kid back in the 80's, I saw some a bunch of people jump off the top at Hamilton Pools. This was before the State grabbed the land from the original owner. One girl hit the water on her back and had to be carried out. So anytime after that, I've never wanted to jump from anywhere very high into the water because I always think about that girl.

17. Buck Turgidson

Hammerly (Agnes Moffit Park):

[​IMG]

I may be wrong about the picture, but it sure looks right. It's only been 25 years since I was there.

18. Joshfast

Supporting Member

That’s certainly a butthole clincher but at least you know for sure there’s no rocks under the water line!

19. ATXNekko

ATXNekko Member

We used to ride our bikes down 620 to the oasis and jump off the cliffs to the right side. was hell of fun until we had to climb back up and ride home. The other places mentioned I have jumped growing up at one time or another. I even ruptured my ear drum one time at Pale Face from diving off that rock. If stood at any of those ledges today I would prolly be the guy sitting drinking a beer wondering how do I climb back down and still be cool.

DFWRocket likes this.