1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[None of their business] Japan measuring people's waistlines

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Isabel, Jun 13, 2008.

1. XxShadyPinkxX

XxShadyPinkxX Contributing Member

My favorite part was about the people and the fish being liberated by the one true moon!

2. Isabel

Isabel Member

We all have the right of free speech. You can make fun of fat people if you want to. Some of us can make fun of a**holes and douchebags instead. I have no problem with it.

But what is up with the government stepping up and regulating people's bodies? What kind of shape you keep yourself in is no one's business but your own. People can talk about you, but they don't need to mess with you. Not to mention that people are naturally designed to occur in all shapes and sizes; our one-size-fits-all approach to what we think looks healthy doesn't take this into account.

If they want to promote fitness, why not something that emphasizes the positive only? Like making healthy food cheaper or easier to access? Or subsidizing athletic teams and programs and encouraging (not forcing) more participation? Not just making people feel like they should fit into some unnatural box.

3. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:eek: You know what I think?

I for one feel that the enigma of Japan running into people's waists is understated in today's society. We here in the U.S. feel that waists are a private-public matter and this is to be understood because of our culture and beliefs leading to a feeling this way.

However, it is not truly private because, obviously, waist size can be construed (as elephants have waists as well). I don't truly believe that a waist can be completely hidden, except for if one were to where no belt or maybe a large overcoat in the style of some older people and or culture--such as maybe the eskimos or inuits as some may call them in history. The belt can be hidden but the number of holes used may not be so.

As for it to be public, it is hard to say for sure how one may feel upon this matter, but if you may be less than comfortable, one would maybe recommend that you not travel to such countries where your waste size would be public.

Maybe you should not be able to hear or see other's waists. If everyone wore blinders and then there would be peace because waists could not be seen and would be private as they ought to be. But who can really say what the ideal waste size would be? In my opinion, it is very hard to say for sure what size waist would be ideal. It depends on many factors, such as hereditary diet (amongst other things). That one may not be privy to the information to submit.

I feel like this information is unknowable and maybe be harmful to the person knowing, especially if there are samurais on the loose. They have been known to be used in ancient feudal systems. One could make the argument that japan and other East Asian communities feel the same way about waist size because the dietary needs of the peoples of these communities are different than the waist size needs of lesser valued communities in the region. So it is hard for a samurai to say for sure if that would be the case or if there is some other element at work that would make it difficult. The information once there gleaned would make life difficult for some waist sizes. People need help living their day to day life in front of where the news goes to make bob go to school.

But I don't think this would be fair to these various civilizations. In the past, sushi has a small waste but that does not stop sushi from being held to the same standard of public measurement except in some marketplace where to for buy. And then, when time stands still, and sushi no longer exists, the moon will come over the hill and the people and fish will be liberated by the one true moon. And then they will rejoice in their knowledge, but that is neither here nore there nor anywhere.

For that matter, that is proper discussion on these internet web message boards, such as [ClutchFans], particularly discussing basketball and Yao Ming. But I am happy that we as a people can publicly discuss pressing issues like waist size and others that make people happy or sad depending on what the facts and the mood might be. Such is one that a happy person when measured may remain happy, but a sad person would obviously be very sad and this is not what one must say for sure if time would be there.

And that's all I have to say about that. :eek:

4. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'm sorry, but you ruined it.

5. Isabel

Isabel Member

But there are samurais on the loose. I wonder how that will affect the fish.

6. SwoLy-D

^ My momma said stupid is as stupid doe-is. :(

7. ChenZhen

ChenZhen Contributing Member

I think only chubby people are against this and skinny people agree with it. You can just tell what is their waist measurements based on their response here.

8. SwoLy-D

^ LOL! From that post on, everyone will lower their tone of voice... :D well done, sir.

"WTF!?!?!? :mad: Government can't tell me ssch*ettt!!!!! Efff them!!!"
    to
    "I believe people can regulate their own stuff :eek:. Sure, the gov. can do things... but..."

:D Nice one, ChenZen. Bravo.

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'll emphasize to Isabel that it doesn't seem like they'll be punishing people who are too fat. They'll punish local governments who can't meet thresholds. The local governments will give these arbitrarily determined fat people pamphlets and junk mail. Still, I don't like it for most of the same reasons you mentioned. But, Japan is a strange country to me.

10. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

LMFAO!!!!!

Don't take away my cheesburger!

11. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

[​IMG]

No one measures E Honda!

12. jgreen91

jgreen91 Member

This isn't alarming at all. I'd be all for it if this were implemented in the USA. I do think the standards are a little strict tho. I'd bump it up to a waistline of no more than 35 inches.

I'd say we need to do a nationwide education on nutrition. Most fat people really don't know how to eat correctly. They just don't know about protein/carbs/fat, timing, mixing them, and proper exercise.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

there goes the right to be fat

What about something for underweight people?

Will we not be happy until everyone is a clone of each other?

Rocket River
    DIFFERENT BAD!!

14. TheMountainTop

Fat b****es Need Love to!

But I aint down with that.

15. thelasik

thelasik Contributing Member

As someone mentioned earlier, people's feelings towards this program are very telling (re: their own waistline). Good stuff.

16. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Hmmm.....

17. SwoLy-D

Most of the time, Mr. River, I agree with your stuff. This time, I think if I may, I would like to disagree with you: I think that it's not that they're just "different", it's that it's more unhealthy to be obese, while we don't really have a problem with too many skinny people in the United States and America. If you're fat, I'll help you lose the unnecessary weight until you have less of a risk of a heart attack from too many cheeseburgers. I hope you see my point. :cool:

18. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Do Sumos get exemptions?

19. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

granted it is the japanese doing this program but....do you know what the fastest growing disease in america is? type 2 diabetes. obesity and morbid obesity are at epidemic proportions in america. it costs our nation billions upon billions in healthcare and productivity. if being obese was a disease like aids (it certainly kills a lot more people than aids) it would be all over the news every night and we would be working on ways to stop it immediately.

instead we have so many obese people that view it as benign and normal that they try to force you to accept it as normal variations of the human body when it simply is not normal and certainly NOT HEALTHY. almost all obesity is not caused by people just being different. it is caused by overeating and not exercising or being somewhat active. imo the american government needs to take action by doing the things you say or by doing something more extreme like the japanese are doing. accepting obesity as a normal condition like isabel says is just wrong.

also, i'm not trying to sound like a complete hard ass about diabetes because i know pgabriel got diabetes after losing weight too fast and that just completely sucks. you try to do something good for yourself and end up getting punished for it.

finally, i think you can make some sort of an argument that it is their business since japan does have a national healthcare program and obesity is a national health issue.

Health Risk Factors for Type 2 Diabetes

Type 2 diabetes is believed to have a strong genetic link, meaning that it tends to run in families. Several genes are being studied that may be related to the cause of type 2 diabetes. If you have any of the following type 2 diabetes risk factors, it’s important to ask your doctor about a diabetes test. With a proper diabetes diet and healthy lifestyle habits, along with diabetes medication, if necessary, you can manage your type 2 diabetes just like you manage other areas of your life. Be sure to continue seeking the latest information on type 2 diabetes as you become your own health advocate.

Other type 2 diabetes risk factors include the following:

* High blood pressure
    * High blood triglyceride (fat) levels
    * Gestational diabetes or giving birth to a baby weighing more than 9 pounds
    * High-fat diet
    * High alcohol intake
    * Sedentary lifestyle
    * Obesity or being overweight
    * Ethnicity: Certain groups, such as African Americans, Native Americans, Hispanic Americans, and Japanese Americans, have a greater risk of developing type 2 diabetes than non-Hispanic whites.
    * Aging: Increasing age is a significant risk factor for type 2 diabetes. The risk of developing type 2 diabetes begins to rise significantly at about age 45 years, and rises considerably after age 65 years.

20. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member