1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Non lottery prospects you like

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by sydmill, Jan 24, 2023.

1. sydmill

sydmill Member

Obviously the Rockets are aiming for the top pick and Wemby with the idea that second place and Scoot Henderson isnt a bad consolation prize. But who do you guys like later in the draft. What diamond in teh rough value picks do y'all have your eyes on in the upcoming draft? Two guys that I would love the Rockets to get their hands on later on are Jordan Walsh and Adem Bona. Both guys need polish and would spend next season at RGV but I think would play huge dividends down the road.

Jordan Walsh: 6'7'' wing with a 7'3'' wingspan. He is a very good athlete and apparently has a motor thats always running. I think he is an impact defender almost just by showing up at that size with the ability to move the way that he does.

Adem Bona: 6'9'' with a 7'4'' wingspan. This kid could be the ying to Sengun's yang at the 5. Rim runner and defender with speed, power and hops.

Note about the videos: Both of these guys are freshmen and so there isnt a ton of availabe film that shows their talent against quality comp. So these videos are just to give an idea of their potential.

2. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Tramon Mark - 3 D special somewhere in that high 2nd to late first range

Astrodome likes this.
  3. YOLO

YOLO Member

Mark is more likely than not returning to UH for his 3rd season and the right decision as he isn't a legitimate draft candidate at this point. He has a long ways to go and next season may be his best chance as he will have an even bigger workload

The only two people leaving for the NBA for UH are Sasser who will be a late 1st round pick probably and Walker a lottery pick

To answer OP's question: I'll take Sasser/Jalen Wilson as guys I would want on my team with late picks

#3 YOLO, Jan 24, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2023
    Astrodome, saleem and Plowman like this.
  4. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Can't disagree with anything there. I want him back. But, when he does come out, I expect him to be in that range. Sasser late 1st, Walker around 8?

5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Cason Wallace?

Believe It! and BaselineFade like this.
  6. comrade

comrade Member

Imagine if we had someone who could throw a lob like this to Bona...

sydmill likes this.
  7. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

Later 1st Rounders:

Cason Wallace - Guard
    Defensive guard that should be strong enough to check wings, while bringing something offensively with his shooting and decision making. Jrue Holiday vibes. Good chance he goes late lotto, but if he drops to the late teens, I'd ship the Bucks pick and a few guys to move up. I think his fit with Green and Sengun is that good.

Leonard Miller - Wing
    After a disastrous NBA combine, Miller joined the G-League Ignite where he's put together a promising season. A ~6'9 wing with handles that rebounds like a PF. Saw some time as primary ball handler when Scoot was injured, but hasn't really showcased the point-forward ability seen during his international games. Tricky below the rim finishes and off balance middies that show impressive touch. Weird shot mechanics. Great off ball mover. Reminds me a bit of Jarred Vanderbilt.

Noah Clowney - Big
    Reminds me of Chris Boucher, Nic Claxton. High motor, mobile center that finishes everything in the paint. Flashes 3pt range and perimeter defensive ability. Potentially a lob threat, PnR finisher that can also space the floor. On defense he protects the rim and defends in space. Sounds great next to Sengun.

2nd Rounders, UDFAs:

Matthew Cleveland - Wing
    Was a sleeper late 1st pick last year as a freshman. Went back to school, improved all around, but has seemingly fallen off big boards. Maybe people were expecting him to develop off the dribble creation, but that's not his game. What he can do is finish plays at all 3 levels. Catch and shoot. Lob threat. Cuts. Active on the boards. Quick decision maker, ball doesn't stick in his hands. His shot mechanics are improved but he's still a lower volume 3pt shooter.

Jaime Jaquez - Wing
    Senior. Plays bigger than 6'6. Does a bit of everything. Heart and soul of UCLA. Dude hustles and plays physical. Standout skills are probably his IQ, vision, and defense. He can get to his spots using his craftiness and strength in college, but not sure if that translates against NBA defenders. Shaky shooter.

Trayce Jackson-Davis - Big

Senior. Slightly undersized for a 5. Non-shooter. He's had a triple double with assists, and a game with 9 blocks. The guy just knows how to ball. His bully ball offense won't work in the NBA, but he can finish on PnR and putbacks. I like his defensive skillset and think he has enough talent and IQ to crack a rotation despite the lack of shooting and tweener label.

omgTHEpotential and sydmill like this.
  8. i3artow i3aller

9. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

All of a sudden a draft possibility as well.

10. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I never see Kendrick Davis being mentioned. He may be the best PG in college. Is he just too short?

comrade likes this.
  11. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

If one of C. Wallace or GG. Jackson is their with the 2nd pick I'd be all over it. Regardless.. would love to aquire a late pick for A. Bona. Played with AlP in Turkey. He's an athletic, defensive minded, 6'10 center with a 7'4 wingspan who grew up playing soccer in Lagos Nigeria then switched to BB in his late teens! Imagine that story. Dream as his mentor...

All Day Baby!

peleincubus and sydmill like this.
  12. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Aidan Mahaney - St Mary's. Might be a year away from declaring. Would be a fun guy to have run the 2nd unit and probably would be in the top 10 in the league in jersey sales if he plays for Boston (like Scalabrine did).

Nook and clutchdabear like this.
  13. comrade

comrade Member

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I think he's gonna be 24 come draft-time, which is about retirement age nowadays. :D Ironically enough, I recall reading he worked out for the Rockets last year before deciding to withdraw his name from the draft and go play for Memphis. It's like his 3rd school. I wonder if the Rockets would give him a shot if he's not drafted since they already seemed to have interest in him?

15. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Yeah I realized after posting, but age shouldn’t be that big of a deal later in the 1st or 2nd round. He is a great passer, has very good ball skills and is an excellent 3-pt shooter. He is only 6 foot, but is pretty stocky. If he does last to the second I definitely go for him.

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

Kendrick Davis won't get drafted and rightfully so

17. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

You may be right, but he is definitely worth a shot as a FA. After this season, he will be no. 1 in scoring and assists in American Conference history. I watch every game and he is every bit as good a passer as Lamelo Ball and a better 3 pt shooter. HIs negatives that may make him undraftable is age at 24 and height at 6 foot. I would definitely buy a late second rounder to spend on him. I have no doubt that Memphis or somebody will sign him as FA for the g-league.

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

nah he isn't. hes the epitome of a good college player who doesn't translate to the league. he'll be fine overseas

19. i3artow i3aller

20. i3artow i3aller