1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nolan Ryan's place amongst pitchers

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rezdawg, Sep 25, 2004.

1. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Fellas, I need some help here. One of my friends was arguing that Ryan was the greatest pitcher ever. I laughed in his face. He pointed to Ryan's strikeouts, no-hitters, and a couple other things. But, I know that there are a couple handful of pitchers that could be considered better. I thought back to when I saw a thread in here regarding this issue. I have been searching through pages of threads, but cant seem to find it. If anyone can find that thread, then I'd appreciate a link to it. Otherwise, you can go ahead and give me reasons that Ryan shouldnt even be close to the top. I need all the ammunition I can get when I shoot down the Ryan express. Thanks.

2. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

I happen to think he is one of the top 10 all time pitchers. It would be hard to call him the best due to his close to .500 record and the fact that he is the all time leader in walks. Granted you can attribute his .500 record to the teams he played for....and the walks to his longevity (which is one of the things that made him so good). I think guys like Cy Young , Koufax, Gibson and even Clemens will be considered as better pitchers over the course of their careers.

3. twhy77

twhy77 Contributing Member

Yeah Koufax, Young, Walter Johnson, the Rocket. Those are guys I think are better.

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Cy Young is the greatest pitcher ever.

5. Dirt

Dirt Member

Pitchers who I believe were better than Nolan Ryan [in no particular order]

Cy Young
    Walter Johnson
    Sandy Koufax
    Steve Carlton
    Christy Matthewson
    Lefty Grove
    Tom Seaver
    Warren Spahn
    Roger Clemens

There's some others I could put above Ryan as well,but don't know enough about them [Grover Alexander,Tim Keefe,Eddie Plank?? ]. I also believe that Randy Johnson will end up in that list as well.

I tend to downgrade Ryan myself due to his average winning percentage and his perceived lack of "clutchness". I don't have the book anymore [I believe it was a Bill James book from the early 90's],but it showed that Ryan actually underperformed some of the "medicre " teams he was a part of,and that his medoicre record should'nt be attributed to the lackluster teams he played for.

6. Ender120

Ender120 Contributing Member

Didn't Cy Young play in an era when the pitching rubber was a good ten feet closer to the plate than it is now?

If you moved the mound ten feet closer for all teams, you'd see a lot of pitchers putting up Young-esque numbers.

You only get a fraction of a second to see and hit the pitch already. Try moving the mound closer and lessening the time even more.

Baseball is more hospitable to pitchers. That's why a .300 batting average is considered "good". That's a success only 3 out of 10 times. How is that "good"? It's because it is so hard to hit Major League pitching.

I'm sorry if any of the above was repetitive or nonsensical. I've been at a debate tournament all day long, and all day yesterday, with only 4 hours sleep between them, and I'm practically falling over.

I love this BBS.

7. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

I think if you are going to compile such a list, you would need to compile it in such a manner that separates players in certain eras. It's worthless to have a list that has players such as Matthewson and Clemens one in the same, because there is no substance to validate a comparison.

8. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

im sure you guys are missing some negro league players.

9. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

Excuse my ignorance but, has anyone alive even seen Cy Young play?

10. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

He's second only to Redding. :)

11. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Really? I never knew that. If that's true I can't see how anyone would think those older guys were so much better, especially with today's pitchers being 10 feet further back.

12. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Nah, Charlie Kerfeld was the best. :D

13. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Satchel Paige was a name I was thinking should be thrown in as well.

It's hard to measure acheivements from different eras. It's best off really just to say Ryan was one of the best of his time.

14. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Yea but it's not neccessarily a player striking out 7 out of 10 times. He can fly out, ground out, etc. He can hit it but it doesn't always translate to bases. A .300 batting average has to deal with a little bit more with the hitter and not the pitcher he's facing.

15. Ender120

Ender120 Contributing Member

You're right, the hitter can fly out, ground out, etc. However, we have pitchers who are described as "fly out" pitchers or "ground out" pitchers. Pitchers who are skilled at inducing these outs.

Baseball is a pitcher's game.

16. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

One way to look at it is would you want Ryan on the mound for game 7? I can name quite a few pitchers I would rather have out there including Clemens.

17. PhiSlammaJamma

I'd take Nolan Ryan over anyone. He's unhittable. I'd want that in games 1,4, and 7.

18. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

I hear you man. I used this same argument a while back. I bet most of the people on this BBS havent seen the majority of those pitchers.

I would expand on that argument but I broke my finger this morning lifting weights and it is very hard to type.

19. edc

edc Contributing Member

It has been 60ft-6inches since 1893. Only the first year or two of CY's career were under the old rules. Any advantage he might have had from the early rules are easily countered by the fact that for the majority of his career he was throwing off of flat ground, instead of raised on a mound.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=3026

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

you'd think that...but it didn't work out real well for the 'stros in the playoffs. if i remember right, he pitched game 2 against the mets in 86 and got beat.