1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nolan Ryan in favor of moving Astros to the AL

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by RocketMania1991, Jun 30, 2011.

1. juicystream

juicystream Member

Only because of the lack of playoff games between the franchises. We've met the Mavs twice in the playoffs (IIRC). We have more history with the other franchises, having epic victories and epic losses against those other 3.

2. MadMax

MadMax Member

The Astros have averaged 2.77 million fans/season since moving to MMP. Seriously, that's damn impressive.

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Member

I'm always fascinated how certain ideas can grow such deep roots. Like "Drayton is cheap," for instance. I think there was a time he absolutely was. But then he must assuredly was not during our heyday. Yet fans would break out if often despite mounting evidence.

Here's another one, IMO. Among the top 9 qualifying DHs in the AL right now, just one has double-digit homers, meaning none of the others rank among the top 40. Johnny Damon DHs. So, too, does Michael Young. Bobby Abreu. Hideki Matsui. These are 300-lb sluggers? In fact, if you look at the top 10 OB%s in the AL, 3 belong to full-time DHs (and they claim the 11th spot, too, FYI).

So this idea that a DH is a 300-lb, swing-for-the-fences machine, ala Rob Deer or Pete Incagavlia, is sooooooo very 1986. That's just no longer true. There are currently some highly efficient hitters manning the DH spot in the AL these days.

4. MadMax

MadMax Member

right..that's kinda my point.

just being in the same division...and in the same state...hasn't insured any rivalry for the mavs/rockets.

5. MadMax

MadMax Member

Of all the players you listed there, all but Michael Young is a defensive liability at this point. The Rays take Damon out of LF when they have the lead late.

6. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Member

That's because they've been concurrently good at the same time once in the Mavs sorry existence. Had it been the Mavs, and not Jazz, we played all those years in the playoffs......

No; the current Silver Boot confirms there's more to a rivalry than mere proximity. What I'm suggesting is that *if* the teams were both very good *and* in the same division that it would absolutely be inherently more heated due to the city's histories.

7. msn

msn Member

You are precisely correct. The DH used to be a overweight slugger who could no longer field his position but still keep a job with his bat. Nowadays, it's generally reserved for an old yet still moderately athletic has-been who can no longer field his position but can still wield a decent OPS.

In other words, it's still garbage and not real baseball. Play the whole game, or don't play at all.

8. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Member

I was responding specifically to the idea that all DHs were a "overweight 300 pound guy who just slugs for a homerun" - none of the players listed, defensive liabilities aside, match that description in way, shape or form. It's an outdated idea.

9. MadMax

MadMax Member

right..but it's not. which brings me back to my point: simply having these teams in the same division does not insure a rivalry. i don't see the astros being good enough anytime soon to build a real rivalry with anyone new.

That's true. I just don't see that being the case anytime soon. If the Angels and Dodgers played in the same division, that would be something, too. And if the Yanks and Mets did, wow! Royals/Cards? :)

10. MadMax

MadMax Member

cool...it doesn't change my criticism of the DH. whether the guy is overweight or old, his limitations are the same...he can't field the position so he just bats in the order without taking the field the other half of the inning. gets us to the same spot in the end.

11. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Member

David Ortiz is posting a gigantic .307/17/48/.959. Bobby Abreu has an OB% of .404; Billy Butler .396. Victor Marinez is hitting .329; Michael Young .319. Travis Hafner, in fewer games, has a .975 OPS.

These guys would find a place in *any* everyday line-up regardless of league.

12. msn

msn Member

The point isn't how well they're hitting but that they're only playing half the game. Would those stats be impacted, even by 5 or 10 percent, if they didn't get to sit on their asses half the game while the rest of the lineup, you know, plays baseball??

The DH is such a sick joke.

13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

I can't believe guys are that star struck as wanting to move the Stros to the AL West just so you can see the Yankees and Red Sox. I live in an AL city and because of the unbalanced schedule you will only get to see the Yankees and Red Sox one series a year but moving to the AL West will get you a lot of series against the Mariners, A's and Angels. Consider that versus the many series against the Cards and the Cubs, storied franchises that the Stros have built a rivalry with.

14. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Member

I disagree. I absolutely loathe the Mavericks. I think when they come to town, the crowd is generally pretty hostile on both sides. It's great to have the HOU-DAL rivalry.

As for baseball? I actually like the Rangers. Gross. I've never had a reason to hate them, their play doesn't really factor in much to the Astros season. But if we were in the same division? I'd sure grow to hate them pretty easily.

We're all entitled to our opinion. I don't care much for the Rangers, but I want to hate them. I want the Houston-Dallas Jr. rivalry to take to baseball -- just like I'd love for the Texans-Cowboys to be in the same conference.

15. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Member

I would agree; which is why I've positioned this as the two teams being *good*. Move the Astros *anywhere* right now and, no, they're not going to develop a rivalry with anyone - who wants to kick sand in the wimp's face?

I'm operating from an admitted very big "If..." scenario. *IF* the Astros were cuurently as good as the Rangers, then Astros/Rangers would be bigger, better and more fun than 2004-5 era Astros/Cardinals.

But I'm very much aware that until that distance between them decreases, there would be no rivalry.

16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

Just to add if MLB wants to move a team over move the Brewers. They've only been in the NL for 15 years and most of that time they haven't been that good. Plus if we are talking benefiting rivalries they can play more games against the Twins for MN-Wisc. bragging rights.

17. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

Here's another questions for those eager to pump up the Dallas Houston Rivalry. Do you think its a big deal that the Texans aren't in the NFC East?

18. MadMax

MadMax Member

Absolutely. Or move the D-Backs..or the Rockies. There are much more natural fits than moving the Astros, I think.

I read an article earlier that said the author believed, ultimately, it would be the D-Backs to move because they seemed far less opposed to the idea than what's coming out of the Astros front office and from Crane, directly.

19. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Member

Not really because I'm not really arguing the merits (or lack thereof) of the DH; only this outdated idea that the DH is a plodding, swing for the fences, strikeout machine/has-been who slows down the game. Those guys are undeniably *very* good hitters.

20. conquistador#11

what's the fascination with playing the yankees or the red sox? The Cardinals have won one less world series championship than the yanks this decade.
    If you want tradition and mystique, you have the cubs and billy goat.

I just simply don't understand why in a sport where tradition is holier than though, some want to see the move to the AL.
    Unless Nolan Ryan has fat free chicken mcnuggets, that I can purchase at Kroger's, to tell me about, I really don't need to hear from him, especially when he is with the Rangers.

1 person likes this.