1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nolan Ryan and the Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tinman, Oct 25, 2010.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This thread has been quite popular, it's just a straight fastball.
    but you guys are trying to make it a curveball.

you can't cork a basketball or scuff it.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

don't mistake number of responses opposing and correcting you with popularity.

the whole thread is trollish. you started with the end in mind...you admitted, you hate baseball. that you don't care about the astros. so why the hell come to the Astros forum and start a thread on them to begin with??

3. tinman

Supporting Member

and he threw 5700 strikeouts and 7 no hitters.

Hey MadMax,
    No Astro pitcher now or in the future will ever come close to that.
    Ever.
    repeat. Ever.

you realize when the aliens invade and learn that humans played this wierd game that they would be amazed that Nolan Ryan threw 5700 strikeouts and that the Astros ownership are cheapskates.

4. msn

msn Member

for the entertainment value. you know that.

5. tinman

Supporting Member

The title is about Nolan Ryan and the Astros.

1. Nolan Ryan was denied by Astros ownership back in the day a new contract because they were cheap and they felt he wasn't good enough anymore and he wasn't generating enough money for them.

2. Nolan Ryan is now in ownership with another baseball team in Texas. he is ownership and he's in the world series and he cares about baseball not profits. And the Astros? they keep getting rid of their best players.
    Oswalt didn't even get a chance to get "Nolan Ryaned" by the Astros.

3. I did this for you. Like that Janet Jackson song.

6. MadMax

[​IMG]

I believe the youngsters say....pwned.

7. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

Correction: John McMullen was a cheapskate.

8. msn

msn Member

now you're both pissing me off.

9. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Ruined my morning... :(

10. tinman

Supporting Member

Let me give a Rockets history lesson and tell you the difference.

Nolan Ryan wanted to stay an Astro.
    Hakeem wanted to leave the Rockets.

Dream post Rockets only played one year for Toronto.

Nolan Ryan post Astros:

In 1989, he went 16-10 and led the league with 301 strikeouts. Against the Oakland Athletics on August 22, Ryan struck out Rickey Henderson to become the only pitcher to record 5,000 career strikeouts. (Following the game, Henderson was quoted as saying, "If he ain't struck you out, then you ain't nobody.") Two years later, at 44, Ryan finished fifth in the league in ERA (2.91) and third in strikeouts (203).

In 1990, Ryan threw his sixth no-hitter (on June 11 against the Athletics), and earned his 300th win (on July 31 against the Milwaukee Brewers). On May 1, 1991, Rickey Henderson broke Lou Brock's career stolen base record by stealing his 939th career base. However, Henderson's achievement was somewhat overshadowed because Ryan, at age 44, set a record that same night by throwing the seventh no-hitter of his career, striking out Roberto Alomar of the Toronto Blue Jays for the final out. Coincidentally, Ryan's second baseman in his first two no-hitters had been Alomar's father, Sandy Sr.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iRb9PONMeLY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iRb9PONMeLY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

YOU GOT SERVED.

11. MadMax

tinman could never watch a minute more of Rockets basketball after they made the decision to cut ties with Hakeem. he's through with them.

that and all the wacky free agency. i mean...guys changing teams every year? crazy!

he'd had enough.

12. MadMax

It's understandable, tinman. I support you. After he left, they were never really legit contenders ever again.

Oh sure..they shuffled through some players they thought were the answer. But it just never caught anything remotely close to that glory again. No one that great ever again.

And, like you say, with these players changing teams so often, who can blame you for moving on? Certainly not me. You had this innocent dream...you just wanted them to care as much about Clutch City as you did. But they sure showed you different. They showed you it's just a business, after all.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9BqcnsMnPug?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9BqcnsMnPug?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

13. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Nice photoshop. We all know that never happened.

14. tinman

Supporting Member

I do agree the Rockets didn't treat Rudy T and to some extent Hakeem well at the end.

But they didn't Nolan Ryan them.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

madmax posting a video from one of the best soundtracks ever!!! holy crap, i knew i loved that dude, but i'm blown away!

16. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

So this thread is to hate on the Astros even though it was John McMullen's decision? You don't like baseball but wanted to come in a rub some past in Astro's fans faces?

Do you think present day Astros fans = Astros ownership from that 80's? And also, who is your choir you are preaching to here? EVERY Astros fan is/was/still is pissed about Nolan going.

So it sucked McMullen let Nolan go, what a new, fresh spectacular insight! Whats next? A thread telling us it sucked how the Oilers left? I know that has never been covered before too like this Nolan leaving the Astros topic so go for it.

17. msn

msn Member

lol @Joshfast. in other news, 38-35 sucked, Judge Roy's bankruptcy sucked, signing Matt Maloney and Kelvin Cato for 7 years sucked, and the oil bust of the 80s sucked. :grin:

1 person likes this.
  18. tinman

Supporting Member

Why is Nolan Ryan in ownership with the Rangers?
    The story started with this incident when the Astros refused to resign him.

19. MadMax

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

we get it. you don't care for the Astros. i like turtles.

20. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Joshfast, meet tinman. tinman has yet to discover any sporting event that happened after 1995. Someday, he'll talk about the great Tracy McGrady. That will be sometime in 2030. He'll even discuss how awesome the 2005 World Series was...in 2050.