1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nolan Ryan and the Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tinman, Oct 25, 2010.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I wonder how the Texas Rangers players feel now that they have an owner who cares about baseball and has proven it all his life with his involvement in many areas.

I'm happy for him too.

2. msn

msn Member

so did Hatcher, don't forget.

3. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

You are way off base here. As a kid growing up in Houston, baseball AND the Astros were one and the same to me. When you love something that much, it consumes you - that's what happened to me. All that I asked was for the Astros to love the game and team as much as I did. Well, McMullen sure taught me the error of my ways that's for sure. Look, if you feel that way about baseball, then I applaud you but you need to respect the feelings of others especially when they concern something as personal as this. A lot of us have lived to an awful lot of hard times with respect to Houston professional sports.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

wow. i'm sorry you missed out on a lot of fun seasons since then.

5. tinman

Supporting Member

what about that 94-95 season?

that was a great season for the NBA.

6. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Hey I didn't say the Stros were cheap in general just with Ryan and that is fact. Ryan had given you two decades of consistent pitching so it can be safely assumed he would have provided all start level or close to it. Again, if they where truly set on rebuilding then okay, letting him go was the move but that wasn't the direction the where headed and the money saved for Ryan wasn't spent on development, it was spent on Rhoden and Clancy.

Hey, I respect your take don't get me wrong but in your original comparison to Oswalt you make it seem like this was part of rebuilding and that wasn't the case. The rebuilding process began the moment Davis got injuried and Scott's arm went to hell but before than they believed they could contend without having to spend on Ryan.

7. msn

msn Member

not really. you had this love for baseball that "consumed" you, and you gave control of it to a greedy miser.

All of us were floored and angry when the Astros and Nolan parted ways. Some of us picked up our toys and went home pouting. Others of us stuck it out and were around for the party when he sold to a much better owner.

Same for a lot of us.

Your error wasn't loving baseball or getting wrapped up in a franchise, it was giving others control of your feelings or disposition towards something that "consumed" you. Bud Adams and the Oilers sickened me, for example, and it's still nice to see the Titans lose--but I still followed NFL football week in and week out the whole time Houston had no team. Because Butt Adams couldn't take that away from me.

I meant no disrespect, and I'm sorry it came across so personal. But I'm not backing away from my take. Take it or leave it. Again, I'm sorry for the way it comes across.

Myself included, but these "hard times" are nothing like the *real* hard times, like the oil bust in the mid-80s. Or the Carter Administration. :grin:

8. msn

msn Member

As an example, there are also plenty of people who "gave up" on baseball after the strike in 94. Their prerogative. It says nothing about their character, just that they didn't love the game as much as I do -- because I didn't quit.

I *still* love college baseball and little league baseball. I can *still* go to the little league fields and spend an hour or two watching kids I don't even know play the game. If you do, too--then you still love the game just like you always did--just not MLB.

No spoiled millionaire playing a child's game or no megamogul owner can ever take that away from you. Not without your consent.

9. Bojangles

Bojangles Contributing Member

except for the fact that maxwell is a deadbeat.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

objection: relevance

11. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

You're a weak fan HillBoy. Weak.

12. tinman

Supporting Member

you obviously know I hate baseball. but the time when I did like baseball was a good time, no steroids, no yankees buying up every good player, no 94-95 strike.

the astros had nolan ryan. A real living legend.

since you are the baseball fan here, what Astro comes close to Nolan Ryan since then in terms of baseball significance?

steroid users don't count.

13. msn

msn Member

I know you didn't ask me, but how the hell does that matter?

Every team can't have an all-time great on its roster every year.

What current Rocket approaches Dream in terms of basketball significance? well, then I'm done with the Rox. And basketball!

14. Buck Turgidson

Nah, they were just all tweeked out on amphetamines every game. TOTALLY different.

15. msn

msn Member

more doubles and steals, fewer dingers. :grin:

16. tinman

Supporting Member

Nolan Ryan wanted to stay an Astro at a mere 1 million dollars.
    The Rockets paid Matt Maloney more than that.

17. msn

msn Member

sweet irony! using a strawman to grasp at straws. your posts are a form of literary art, sir.

18. tinman

Supporting Member

hahaha! :grin:

ok in terms of today's game. what would happen?
    That entire Astros team, Ryan, Scott, Glen Davis, Doran, Hatcher etc

would all end up on the Yankees or Red Sox or Mets or Dodgers

That's the game you love.

19. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

The Astros have had Biggio and Bagwell, both almost certain Hall of Famers, since.
    OK, then just Craig Biggio for his entire career.

But you have to realize that Ryan made a total of 2 All-Star teams in the 9 years he played in Houston. Steve Francis was here 5 years and started 3 All-Star games, by comparison. (Basketball comparison for your benefit)

20. tinman

Supporting Member

I know about Biggio and Bagwell, how are they compared to all time greats?

Nolan Ryan threw 5700 strikeouts, 7 no hitters and considered a baseball immortal.

Biggio and Bagwell are great, but they aren't Highlanders