1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nokia N-Gage

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Sane, Aug 12, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Sane

Sane Member

I just got this Nokia N-Gage as sort of a gift...

Do any of you have it? Any comments? What's good or bad about it?

Also, could you make any suggestions which I could exchange it with in a similar price range... I wouldn't mind throwing on $60 or $70 to make up the difference... But only Nokias, can't stand other phones... Definitely need Bluetooth too...

Anyone think I should just keep it?

Thanks..

2. SoSoDef76

SoSoDef76 Contributing Member

I've heard pretty bad reviews about the N-Gage. I don't know anyone who has it personally, though. Gamespot had an article about the newer N-Gage QD that supposedly fixes "numerous design flaws." If you have the newer one, then maybe you're in luck.

------------------------

N-Gage QD arrives in US
    [UPDATE] Nokia gives game deck a second chance at success; enlists wide array of retailers to offer rebates.

Nokia announced today that it has finally sent its N-Gage update, the QD, to retailers. The new model is an updated version of the original N-Gage model released in October of last year. It corrects a number of design flaws that hampered sales of the original N-Gage. As an added incentive, the game deck comes bundled with a copy of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater.

The game deck/cell phone hybrid is now available at a slew of retailers, including most EB Games and GameStop outlets and online at EBgames.com, Gamestop.com, Walmart.com, and Buy.com. Almost all are offering the device with either an instant or mail-in rebate (with activation) that brings the QD's price down from an MSRP of $199.99 to $99.99. Currently, T-Mobile is the only carrier that supports the phone, but Nokia says customers will have the option to tap into the AT&T Wireless network "soon."

In a statement, Nada Usina, Nokia's general manager of games business for North & South America, said, "The N-Gage QD game deck shows that Nokia is fully committed to the N-Gage platform." After the device suffered from critical reviews and tepid sales when it launched last year, Nokia quickly began reworking the N-Gage. Since then, Usina and other Nokia staffers have assured media and industry reps that the QD will not suffer the same fate as its predecessors. Now, it’s up to the consumers whether or not that happens.

[UPDATE] GameSpot spoke with industry analyst Billy Pidgeon of Zelos Group to get his view of the relaunch.

GameSpot: Do you think the revised and upgraded N-Gage is ready for prime time? Can it best the performance of its predecessor's model?

Billy Pidgeon: The new N-Gage QD is a huge improvement on the original N-Gage. Playing games on the previous model was a frustrating experience, but gameplay on the QD is satisfying.

GS: What do you see as impediments, if any, to the QD's success?

BP: The QD still needs exclusive triple-A software and a higher ratio of quality to mediocre or worse software. Nintendo and Sony's announcements of impending DS and PSP handheld devices also helps create a tough environment to excite consumers about the QD.

GS: What are the key specs that will make it a viable product this time around? What is it still missing?

BP: Nokia corrected one of the worst design flaws--software can now be hot-swapped in and out of the device. Nokia also greatly improved the feel of the device for gameplay control. The QD is smaller and better looking than the previous N-Gage. The QD has decent battery life and with carrier subsidization is now competitively priced. The QD could still use a larger, horizontally oriented screen and a 3D chip. Lack of quality software remains the biggest problem.

GS: In a case where a product is so heavily discounted, is it usual that the manufacturer is compensating retailers, or is it the carriers who are behind the pricing strategy?

BP: With dedicated game devices and software, retailers usually get compensation for placement and comarketing initiatives. Deeper subsidization is normal with cell phones, where carriers offer more aggressive price cuts on handsets in return for long-term service contracts with consumers.

GS: Six months from now, will the QD be a viable SKU in the Nokia product line?

BP: Yes. A year from now, it may not be.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/07/27/news_6103570.html

3. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

The idea behind it is that it's supposed to be your phone, but it's so badass it can play more graphically intense games than regular phones. The thing looks awfully big to me, as a phone anyway. I can't see myself carrying it around in my pocket daily. I'd return it, especially if you already have a phone.

4. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

Well I think we can say for a fact that it won't stay long in the market against Nintendo and Sony, and contrary to what Nokia's saying, they will compete directly with them. Ditch it.

5. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

its gotten terrible reviews. my sister was anxious to get one as her first cell phone and now its an easy laugh between me and her. i know theyve changed the format....but the "sidetalking" is pure comedy.

6. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

Well I just swapped my old TDMA 3595 for the GSM 3300 Music Phone. Nokia still produces the 3300 which was introduced late last year. Cingular isn't offering it anymore as one of their phones in certain areas, saying it's being discontinued. Again, when I talked to Nokia, they had no idea what Cingular was talking about.

Cingular just decided to stop carrying it, but still supports it (as I have Cingular). ATT Wireless still offers it, but again, they're about to merge with CIngular.

I really love this phone, but the only thing is it only holds 64 MB of music memory. However, you can buy larger cards on places like ebay.

Good luck with whatever you choose though.

7. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

I have the 3300 also but with a 128MB chip in it. I love the phone. It is great for working out. I can listen to the radio, mp3's, or the tv's at my gym. I got a black face plate and leather case for it. Its the best phone I've had so far.

8. Saad

Saad Member

I don't know about it... I think the better alternative would just be to get a nice phone and then get a GBA SP or something. That way, you can have the best of both worlds.

9. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

So yours picks up the tv signals as well? Yeah it's a really nice phone; I wanted it especially for the QWERTY format keypad. And it came with all this great stuff; the CD recording cable; USB cable; boom-style ear piece; and the stereo earphones.

It's awesome. So did you buy the 128MB card seperately? I'm considering getting the 256 on ebay in a few months.