1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

noisy neighbor... what to do??

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rm365, Jul 24, 2006.

1. rm365

rm365 Contributing Member

Hey all.
    I recently moved to Manhattan for work. Yeah rent is a b****. 1650 for a studio apartment.
    Anyway, my neighbor is always making a lot of noise when I go to sleep 9pm - 2 am or so.
    My hours are rough. I work from 6 am to 6 pm roughly, meaning I have to be up at 5 am most mornings.
    When I first approached him, I told him about how he makes noise like he is moving furniture and how that affected my sleeping. I was real courteous and I told him that if I ever made too much noise for him, to tell me. I introduced myself and asked his name. He gave me a ****face grin and acted like he didnt give a ****... he did say that he would "try" not to make too much noise anymore.
    next thing I know, he's keeping at it with the furniture moving ****. I mean we have hardwood floors so maybe he's just adjusting his chair, but he should be more courteous than that. Now, he wont even open the door when I ring his bell or knock. I feel like decking the guy, and if it werent for my job and legal record, I probably would.
    I told the souper earlier today about the situation, but tonight he's still at it.
    What should I do?

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Beat his ass... ;)

But seriously, the only other option is to call the cops, which will most certainly not foster a healthy relationship with your neighbor. Ask the people on the other side of him and under/above him to see if they have the same complaint. If so, gang up on the super. If he still isn't going to do anything, there probably ain't much you can do...other than beating his ass.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Get something that makes a constant noise like a fan or something to drown him out.

Use that white noise to get rid of his noise.

We use the fart fan in the bathroom to drown out the kids early noises.....

DD

4. aeroman10

aeroman10 Contributing Member

Soundproof the walls...
    Spy on the neighbor to find out exactly what the hell is he doing all night long :D

5. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Call mateo.

6. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Dial 311, report his ass...if the noise is something actually preventable and the cops will agree. If its just a thin-floored building, you may not want to do this. 311 and the boys in blue of the NYPD removed my evil dog neighbor.

Otherwise, you may be able to break your lease if the living conditions are impossible.

7. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Um...what? Hey, if you were to kick his ass and he continued to make noise, then what? It's why I always figured beating someone's ass didn't make any sesne. I mean, if you aren't willing to kill the guy and go to prison for it or potentially getting your own ass handed to you, there are probably better ways of handling it. :)

But, seriously, Da actually makes a good point about the noisemaking device. I use an air purifier and it works wonders. I have a mild case of tinitis and if I don't have something, I can hear the ringing in my ears (exascerbated by years of playing music).

If that doesn't work, you may have to call the police, unfortunately.

8. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

i must admit that i laughed out loud when i read the title and the first sentence was "I just moved to Manhattan", as my response was going to be "try living in NYC"

the best thing is to call 311 like mateo said, but it sounds like he isnt really doing anything wrong... is he playing loud music? is he throwing parties?

he is probably just walking around, i doubt he is actually moving furniture around every night...

its going to be hard to file a complaint, I'm afraid...

just curious, what neighborhood are you in?

(I have called 311 two times, once on a Sunday morning after a night club played their blaring music through the night, it was Sunday morning at 6:00 AM and the salsa was still going strong... and the other was for fireworks going off for about two weeks prior and after the 4th of July... I live in Washington Heights)

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

311 is real? Seriously? Where the hell have I been...

10. Xenochimera

Xenochimera Contributing Member

yeah washington heights is pretty noisy, especially over summer, all i hear is the same radio station block to block.

11. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

haha... welcome to NYC!!

Get some earplugs?

12. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

ask a ninja.

13. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

from wiki
    "3-1-1 is available in many, but not all, communities in America including Baltimore, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Chicago, San Jose and New York City."

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

get a very loud alarm clock
    Set it for 6:30 am.
    Make sure it won't go off by itself

then SET IT . . and FORGET IT

Let him deal with it from 6:30 am until when HE GETS UP

Rocket River

15. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

have sex with his sister.

16. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

... and make it loud.

17. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

get a gun and shoot the mofo

18. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I had a guy upstairs from me in college that somehow was able to make it sound like he was banging a sledgehammer on the floor. I don't know what the crap he was doing, but I was always waiting for him to come falling through the cieling. Luckily I only lived in that complex for a summer and he was only there the last month.

Funny thing about him moving in was they evicted my drug dealing next door neighbor right before the guy above me moved in. My next door neighbor had people in and out at all times day and night, and occasionally had extremely loud arguements with people. One morning at like 5 it sounded like some girl actually ran him out of his apartment. I actually found that situation rather amusing due to the fact that I could sleep through all but a random few of his shennanigans.

If I can at all help it though, I will always live on the second floor in a complex where there isn't anyone above me.

19. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

No problem can't be solved with fresh faeces.

20. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

The best idea and it works.

btw... Have you ever lived close to a train track? At first you're like, "What the hell?". Then you're like, "This isn't too bad... Kinda soothing." Then you can't sleep without the damn thing. You wake up at 3am screaming, "Where are you!? I need to get back to sleep!"

In the past, we have used one of those stand-alone fans on high, pointing away from the bed. I also have a white noise device in my office that I use when the guys in the lab play cards at lunchtime - It gets pretty rowdy.

Noise takes out noise. It's getting a noise that you can adjust to. White noise is easy to get used to.

Don't waste your time talking to him. You have made a courteous effort to confront this guy and he obviously doesn't care.

Try the noise thing first, then 311. You would be amazed at the level of noise a person can sleep through.

Good luck.