1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Noise Canceling Earbuds

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by yuantian, Dec 1, 2011.

1. yuantian

yuantian Contributing Member

going to need a pair for long flights.

been looking at the sony ones.

anyone has these?

also do noise isolating work almost as well as noise canceling?

thanks.

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

These should work

[​IMG]

3. CourtOfDreams

CourtOfDreams Member

I have a pair of klipsec (sp) in ear buds that cancel noise. Sound good they were like 60 to 70. Would recommend.

4. peterrkim

peterrkim Contributing Member

have the klipsch as well. probably the same ones. image s4i.

pretty good sound quality and do a pretty decent job of blocking things out as long as something is playing.

and comfortable which is pretty key.

5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Another vote for these. Great sound, can't hear a thing when they're in and comfortable. Also have an in-line mic and controls for an iPod/iPhone.

6. E_Saiyan

E_Saiyan Member

Have these as well. Replaced Bose in-ears that just stopped working one day with these. They are comfortable, great at isolating sound, and sound great for $60 headphones.

7. yuantian

i have a pair of the bose earbuds that sound great. have been thinking about the klipsch image s4 since it's got good reviews.

the only thing is that, klipsch is noise isolating, but not noise canceling. how well would that work on airplanes?

8. A00man

A00man Member

As long as you even have some light music playing, you won't hear a thing from the plane. The image s4i's have iPhone controls on them as well. I have a pair, and they are my favorite pair of headphones. The s5i's are out as well. I don't know what improvements Klipsch made on those, but they also have great reviews.

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

10. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

I'd think that noise cancelling earbuds would be a better solution for you. The isolating ones attempt to shield your ears from external sounds, whereas the cancelling ones actually have a mic that pics up external sounds and emits an inverse frequency to cancel out those sounds. I wouldn't think that noise isolating earbuds would work very well since the isolation relies on blocking external sounds, something an earbud would have trouble with relative to ear-muffs.

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

If you are just looking for noise isolating ear buds, I have used three sets:

Shure
    Bose IE
    Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10

Of those, the Shure ones work the best. They fit in my ear much better than the others.

12. davo

davo Contributing Member

I have had the Sony MDR-NC33 for about 12 months, and I would rate them as moderately good. You can defintely notice the noise canceling effect when on a plane, and it helps listening to movies/music.

They are "in-ear", and can be uncomfortable for some. I find myself pushing them back in quite often.

Obviously they will not be as good as the Bose "over you ear" type, but they are good, portable solution.

Overall, I am happy with them.

13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Noise isolating is better than noise cancelling but they can be uncomfortable after hours of use.

14. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Etymotic IEMs are known for their isolation. I just got a pair of HF5 headphones, and I can't hear any outside noise with them on. (And they sound fantastic.)

15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The Klipsch Promedia ear buds are the same drivers as the S4i but is half the cost and includes a mic and play/skip buttons.

16. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

I don't know anything about earbuds other than the ones the give you with the iPhone are terrible. I've had to get 3 new sets over the last 6 months. I should probably invest it some better quality ones.

17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I'm reading on Amazon that all the buds mentioned in this thread are not Android friendly.

Any good noise cancelling/isolating buds for Android phones? For under $100?

18. Acedude

Acedude Contributing Member

Noise cancelling is pretty gimmicky as it introduces new sounds into the hearing experience. I'd go with a good pair of IEM headphones (sennheiser, klipsche, shure)

head-fi loves the off-brand Head Direct RE0. I got a pair when they were on sale and use them frequently while flying, not too bad. Now they're going for about 60 on amazon.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/head-direct-re0-in-ear-headphones

1 person likes this.
  19. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Nice- they seem more geared towards pc though. I'd still stick with the si4 for my iPod.

By the way- they have a great warranty. I killed my first set with sweat working in the yard this spring. They replaced them within a week.

20. yuantian