1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NOH-SAS/DEN-POR

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ItsMyFault, Apr 15, 2009.

1. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

4/15/09 Game Thread

New Orleans @ San Antonio -- Well, do we want New Orleans to win this or not? I don't know, I mean I frankly don't care who we play, whether its Dallas or New Orleans (of course pending on our game against Dallas) but yeah, I mean I don't care who really wins the game. I guess I'll go New Orleans just because I don't like San Antonio.

Denver @ Portland -- Well, this one is pretty obvious for most people. We want Portland to win this and they better win this.. I really want the Rockets to get the 2nd seed so we can at least have homecourt in the 2nd round if we get there. Denver played well on Monday against a scrubby Sacramento team, but this game will be played in Portland where I think Portland plays really well. I think Portland would want to win this too, especially if San Antonio losses to New Orleans, that would mean they would get homecourt over San Antonio. Anyways, Go Blazers!

LAST DAY OF THE REGULAR SEASON!

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

If the home teams play well, the road teams have little chance to win, especially the Hornets in San Antonio.

3. Shaud

Shaud Member

I would rather face New Orleans but doesn't really matter to me I think we can beat any of them.

4. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

We want NO to win, that way if we lose to Dallas we still take the division and have home court in round 1 versus the Spurs. I also would not count out NO entirely. Paul and West are a lot of trouble for the Spurs.

Portland will have the tiebreaker on the Spurs. If Portland wins they have homecourt as the #3 seed (if the Rockets and Spurs lose) or the #4 seed if one or both of those teams win--since SA loses the tiebreak to both Port/Hou unless SA is the division winner vs Port (which to make happen we have to lose and then Port is ahead of us by a game)

Besides, I fully expect Portland to win--every bit as strong as the Spurs over NO. These are two teams where home court really matters--and I think Portland is just a more complete team anyway.

5. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

Guys, I love you all and I love this board, but I REALLY hope you lose tonight. :D My ideal situation is for the Mavs & Spurs to both win. According to my calculations (I suck at math), that'd put the Nugs at 2, Spurs at 3, Rockets/Blazers at 4/5, Mavs at 6 and Hornets at 7. I want NO in the first round (mainly because I don't want to listen to two weeks of Mark Cuban and I LOVE CP3) and the winner of Dallas/SA in the second. I want to avoid the Lakers, Rockets & Blazers as long as possible. Provided the Nugs even win in the first round that is.

This is going to be a phenomenal opening round of the playoffs no matter what the matchups are.

6. nolimitation

nolimitation Member

If we win tonight we want NO to win and that will push SA to the 5th seed. And if PO wins they'll have HCA over SA which makes it easier for them to go to the 2nd rd. This way they can face LA, which they really want.

7. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

After the show that New Orleans put on here in Houston the other night, I don't see how they have a chance to win at San Antonio. I say SA wins in a blowout, honestly. New Orleans has phoned it in on this regular season. Portland-Denver is going to be a slugfest, but honestly, Denver just isn't playing for all that much. I know 2nd seed gets home-court in the first round, but they are very similar to us in that they just want to get out of the first round, and then go from there. I feel like Portland will come out hot and put this game away early.

8. Artesticles

Artesticles Member

Assuming full health, it seems the Nuggets may want to avoid Dallas if they could? Even though Denver swept the season series 4-0, look at the scores.

W 108-105 (home)
    W 98-88 (road)
    W 99-97 (home)
    W 103-101 (road)

Barely winning at home seems to be the biggest concern. One Dallas road win could change the series in their favor.

9. Nuggets4

That's actually the exact argument I made on the Nugs board this morning. Take the one "blowout" out, and each game was decided by a basket. Plus, I can mentally handle losing to the Hornets (I love CP3), I can't deal with Dallas.

OK, I'm a little confused about the 3, 4, 5. Do you guys have the tie-breaker over Portland if you lose the division (i.e. 4 & 5)?

10. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Yes, we won the season series over Portland 2-1.

11. abc2007

abc2007 Member

The rockets win, then I hope the blazers win so that the rockets can be the no.2 seed.

But if the rockets lost, I would hope the hornets and the nuggets win so that the rockets would still be able to win the division and have the HCA.

12. Nuggets4

Thanks.

13. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

NOH @ SAS: The Hornets will take it easy, they are tired, will probably choose to rest their players, not too much difference at 6th or 7th. Advantage: home team SAS.

HOU @ DAL: I give the Rockets the edge. 6th or 7th dont have too much difference to the Mavs. The Mavs will probably rest Josh Howard. But it's hard to lay dead in front of your home crowd. The Mavs will at least try to win the game at home. The Rockets need to play hard to get the win.

DEN @ POR: Denver will lay dead if Rockets lose to the Mavs. Otherwise, they will play for HCA in 2nd round. The Blazers want to win for HCA.

14. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

simple day of rooting.

ROCKETS
    BLAZERS
    HORNETS

i can't wait!!

15. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

If the Rockets win:

Hornets/Spurs - I don't care. We're locked in against the Mavs.
    Nuggets/Blazers - Go Blazers! So we get that #2 seed.

If the Rockets lose:

Hornets/Spurs - Go Hornets! We could still retain home court advantage if they win.
    Nuggets/Blazers - Go Nuggets! Same reason as the Hornets.

16. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

That's not entirely true, is it (the part about being locked in)? If the Rockets win, I thought they would still play New Orleans if Denver were to beat Portland (making Rockets the No. 3).

EDIT: Although obviously in that scenario the only game with relevance would be Denver/Portland, so I see what you mean. My mistake.

17. archinkent

archinkent Member

watching rockets beat mavs, while cheering for the spurs to win during TOs and halftime, then watch denver lose to portland. if it all goes well, its gonna be a good night :)

18. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

Close game between Spurs and Hornets so far...

19. TesseracT

TesseracT Member

Wait so we should cheer for the Spurs? Why?

20. archinkent

archinkent Member

man, whats with the runs in the SA-NO game. one minute NO is leading by 5, next i checked spurs is leading by 5. now NO is leading :confused: