1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    The Timberwolves are roughing up the Nuggets, can they hold on for a Game 2 win? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Noel or Okafor to be traded

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jamesdelia, Sep 8, 2016.

1. icecreamman

icecreamman Member

They seriously getting rid of potential superstars but not embiid? just lol. terrible franchise

2. rockscluch75

rockscluch75 New Member

lol potential superstars. okafor worst defensive player in the league last year and already a head case...oh can't shoot free throws either...oh and log jam in the middle. See what you can get for him and move on

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

Imo I think he can improve on that side of the ball unless he goes through his career not caring for it. that's an area players are always able to work on over a longer duration of their career compared to the offensive end. it takes commitment, effort, a better understanding to improve defensively. You don't have to be the most athletic person to be able to be solid defensively. Okafor has good size and can use that to his advantage more often. At 20 years old hes still just a kid playing amongst men. Still has a ton to learn.

4. 92i

92i Member

Embiid has been sidelined for more than 2 years, he probably doesn't have much value because of that even though he still has a lot of potential. The Sixers would get more in return by trading either Okafor or Noel. If I was them, I'd keep Okafor because the kid is already good and has IMO more potential than Noel.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Embiid is the stud, these other two are solid players - but Embiid is special - and he is ready.

DD

6. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I would take both of them and solidify our front court rotation for the foreseeable future with Noel, Okafor and Clint Capela

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Can someone give speciific reasons why they think Noel is better than Capela. Pretty much every per 100 stat out there favors Capela. I don't watch Philly so need some help here

Seems Noel is just expected to be better because he has 30mpg stats on a horrible team, and because he's a #6 pick, even though it was arguably the worst draft in NBA history.

8. Sanity2disChaos

Can Okafor play the 4 spot? at any serviceable level?

9. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Maybe. Okafor is not a stretch 4, but he has have a decent mid range J. He also can create on the low blocks *and* the elbow.

Guessing that Okafor's defense is bad at both the 4 and the 5.

10. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

My point still stands Okafor. He was a rookie last year, only had one season in college and is very young to be in the NBA. Okafor had a very successful rookie season. One should expect that both his offensive and defensive game will improve with time. By the time he gets to his prime (~27 year old), he may develop into an elite NBA player.

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I didn't realize how right this was until I looked...
    You're right... it's crazy.

12. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

These are all fair criticisms, but I'd imagine you're one of the many posters that are on-board with the Nene signing, correct? A lot of what you just described about Okafor's game applies to Nene too.

Nene has always been known for his average rebounding and defense. Which, of course, you overlook because of his high skill level, work ethic and $3M sticker price.

So why is it okay to overlook those weaknesses in the case of Nene but not Okafor? Sure, acquiring Okafor is a much more expensive proposition than the "$3M - that's it?" cost of acquiring Nene. But you have to keep in mind Okafor is an All-Star level talent. How much is the prospect of having a player with that type of upside worth to you?

I'm not saying chasing Okafor is the way, but for a team in transition that's trying to re-brand itself, I can't deny my intrigue. I also can't deny the fact that the shoe seemingly fits: we need a center, Okafor needs a change of scenery, also needs discipline and we have a veteran with similar strength/weaknesses that could mentor him.

13. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I agree with your analysis. Don't really have any feelings on Nene one way or the other, but your analysis is correct. He is a veteran, was available and was cheap. I'd take Okafor on that basis as well. I'd take Okafor at the right price no doubt.

But just pointing out his flaws.

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Which part, the Per-100 stat comparison, or Noel's draft being so horrible.

15. finsraider

finsraider Member

I seriously doubt we are involved.

When there was the rumor about an Ariza + Beverley for Noel, it was while we were courting Kent Bazemore, who would've taken Ariza's place.

My guess is plan B was to trade Ariza and Beverley for Noel, sign Bazemore, Anderson and Llull, and keep developing Capela.

Llull
    Harden
    Bazemore
    Anderson
    Noel

Looks like a very MDA team to me, but alas.....

16. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Capela rates higher than noel on practically every start measure and advanced measures except for per game, which Noel has the huge advantage.

Noel is the better defender tho and it shows in the drpm and d/WS. He's better at paintball defense and limiting fouls where Capela struggles.

If Capela averages about 25mpg I can see him putting up better than Noel's start line from last year. Something like 10-12 rbds, and 10-12 pts per game. I realize that would typically be bullish to think he would average double digit rebounds and be one of the best in the league but he already has a high rbd% and will have increased rebound opportunity in this system.

Him being cheaper and under control already makes me not want to commit assets in a trade. I would however facilitate a 3 way trade and take Covington from Philly who is appearing to be on the outside looking in now