1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

No, we are not a bad team. Yes, there is certainly a problem.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocketfanatic2, Nov 14, 2015.

1. Rocketfanatic2

The problem with this team is that we don't know how to handle success. This stems from not having a true leader.

We got away with it last year because we were a younger team that hadn't experienced success as a unit yet. Making it to the WCF was a remarkable feat last year given the circumstances, but it is also a big reason that we are struggling now. Everyone always talks about how important it is to respond to adversity, but I'd argue it is just as important how a team responds to success.

This team is certainly not void of talent. I am not concerned about Lawson. Yes he has struggled mightily early but I think he will settle in soon. I'm sure this was an abnormal offseason for him. D-Mo will come back and barring injury, we will be a pretty talented team. That is not our issue.

How do we fix this? We either bring in a coach who will lay into these guys and gain their respect, add a 'glue guy' in terms of leadership, or James has to take the next step in his development as the face of a franchise. Without the leadership trait, he will never be as good as he could be.

While Harden did enough to warrant the MVP last season, the fact that he focused so much on it showed exactly what is holding him back from being a true great.

McHale is not doing anything to solve this issue. Leaving the court before the game ended yesterday? I don't care how frustrated he was, that's not what the team needs to see from him.

Right now these guys feel entitled due to last year's accomplishments. It must end soon or we will be in trouble.

Regardless, something must be done. We might win some big games here and there, but we won't be winning a title without a leader, whether it be a coach or a player. We must learn to deal with last year's success and build off of it.

1 person likes this.
  2. Jfan27

Jfan27 Member

Interesting viewpoint here. Last year's sudden success hurting us now? I don't know, but something needs to change before it is too late. In the west, 'too late' comes at you pretty fast.

Harden doesn't consistently show passion, and that is disconcerting.

3. Rocketfanatic2

It's amazing to me how different he can look on any two given nights. He has too many nights like tonight to be labeled a true superstar IMO. Needs to get that fixed, part of being young I guess/hope.