1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

No Verlander Appreciation Thread Needed

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by lnchan, May 7, 2021.

1. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

really? I thought starting and closing were exactly the same. Thanks man.

2. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

You were the one insinuating that just because he gave up a bunch of 1st inning home runs at starter that using him as a closer is silly.

All, I was pointing out is that given the different approaches, it doesn't really show how effective he would be as a closer.

The Beard likes this.
  3. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

but it might. See we don’t know. I think everyone on this board is well aware of the differences between closing and starting. Its cool though, the way you broke it down is a lot like how I would tell my 5 yr old son, if he were to ask me the difference. AND it is fathers day!!

4. SuraGotMadHops

"The fundamental question is, will JV be as effective as a closer like he was as a starter? And he will be, even more so. But until he is, it's going to be hard to verify that I think he'll be more effective." - Little Carmine Lupertazzi

[​IMG]

5. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Not saying we would, also not saying he would

But

Is it possible, rules wise, to sign him to a 1 year extension at a lower number right now, and have they reduce our tax number immediately which would increase the player pool we can go after by the deadline?

6. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

Yes they could do that, if he agreed

The Beard likes this.
  7. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I'm not 100% sure they can do that once the season started already. They have done it in the past in spring training, but not sure you can lower the AAV during the season.

Also, I'm not sure I want Verlander back.

1. Before I give a 39 year old coming off TJ surgery a contract I need to see him pitch. So he really needs to come back for the end of the season and show he still has his velocity. Also, he was apparently a sticky stuff user. Need to see the spin rates and how well his fastball plays without the Anaheim Goo.

2. Verlander will still be somewhat innings limited coming off the surgery. So not sure I want to see the Astros pay 15-20 million for 140 innings of Verlander.

3. Astros have 6 starters already for next year with Valdez, McCullers, Urquidy, Garcia, Odorizzi, and Javier.

4. Astros have holes to fill at SS, CF, and the bullpen

HTXSportsAddict likes this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

NVM. Brilliant.

Knew I recognized that name, for whatever reason your pic didn't show up.

9. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

There is no prohibition on extensions during the regular season. They may occur at any time. If it is arranged such that it lowers the AAV for the year, it is what it is, just like adding or losing players affects the AAV in season. As for wanting Verlander back, that was not part of the question.

The Beard likes this.
  10. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

John smoltz comes to mind.

11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

"A team's Competitive Balance Tax figure is determined using the average annual value of each player's contract on the 40-man roster, plus any additional player benefits. Every team's final CBT figure is calculated at the end of each season. (Note: If a player signs a contract extension that doesn't kick in until a later season, his AAV for the purposes of the CBT doesn't change until the new deal begins.)"

There would be far too many ways to abuse this if it were allowed.

12. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

Which part of this statement says it is not allowed?

13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I'm not sure how else one can interpret the last sentence.

14. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

"If a player signs a contract extension that doesn't kick in until a later season..." He asked about an extension that would involve the current season. At least that is how I interpreted his question. So if the player agreed, he could sign an extension that would encompass the current season and one additional season that would increase actual cash for the current season, but also lower the AAV for the current season.

15. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

16. HTXSportsAddict

17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

18. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

HTXSportsAddict and Snake Diggit like this.
  19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Yeah I was thinking a 2 year deal with Houston to win another ring then a 2 year farewell tour with Detroit just as they should be entering their window.

HTXSportsAddict and BigM like this.
  20. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

This surprises anyone exactly why though? He wasn't really looking to leave Detroit when he came here and has always been clear that he wouldn't mind going back.