1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

No suspension for Green

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jeevinesh, May 23, 2016.

1. vj23k

vj23k Member

You can't possibly think those plays are remotely equivalent to draymond's assault.

2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

There is a vast difference between the usual Green kick and this kick. He is watching his own foot kicking Adams in the nuts, and he accelerates the kick half way.

A man kicking a man in the nuts should be a jail sentence, nevermind a sports suspension.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

honest question, hasn't everyone else who did something similar been given a minimum 1-game suspension?

keywords from the question by ipaman. Those are very much similiar as far as his specific question

4. Kwame

Kwame Member

How come Westbrook has never been suspended for all his arm flailing and leg kicking over the years?

5. francis 4 prez

the difference is in reckless vs a natural basketball play. no one thought green should be suspended for kneeing adams in the groin in game 2 b/c he was just bringing his knee up to take a shot in the lane. it was natural.

ryan anderson didn't get suspended for kneeing ginobili because he was just taking a shot. lyle was just turning to create space, like love did to patterson earlier this series and both got flagrants but it wasn't like they did some crazy move no one does.

the westbrook/duncan play, westbrook a) he jumped in the air and b) was pushed in the direction of duncan so his leg probably was going to be close to hitting duncan no matter what. he may have barely flailed his leg but it still never got higher than duncan's groin even considering he was already high up in the air. whereas green's leg would've kept going significantly further even though he a) was already basically back on the ground and b) wasn't pushed toward adams or was even bumped back away from adams. there's no explaining green's actions as anything but reckless. and on the "basketball play" to "reckless" spectrum, all of the other reckless plays got suspensions and the more basketball plays didn't. it's like all the people over the years that have been hit in the face or groin in the process of taking a charge. we don't suspend the offensive player for driving to the basket just because the collision happened to incidentally hit the defensive player in the face/groin.

6. francis 4 prez

because he hasn't had the same result as draymond just did. i supposed we can argue whether punishment should only occur based on the result and not the action itself, but the league has been consistent on only punishing the result. otherwise every player in the league would've been suspended for basically every game. i guess the league is saying that you can play with fire but occasionally, even if it's just happenstance that your move connected, you might get burned.

7. Kwame

Kwame Member

This play could have injured Danny Green:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Is this a &quot;natural motion&quot; while shooting 3 as well? Spare me the I've never seen someone kick like that talk <a href="https://t.co/xsZwE6GSUl">https://t.co/xsZwE6GSUl</a></p>&mdash; Jim Park (@SheridanBlog) <a href="https://twitter.com/SheridanBlog/status/734793628409843712">May 23, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This is one is self-explanatory:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KNHW1ljCZt0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I guess I kind of get it though. People don't like Draymond Green because he talks trash and can back it up with his play and people hate the Warriors for their success so they will use anything they can to criticize the player and the team. They might lose today, but I still think Warriors will win the series.

8. Rokman

Rokman Member

Let's see if Westbrook gets suspended after he accidentally kicks Green in the nuts in the 4th tonight while the Thunder are up by 15 and the game is over. THAT would turn into an all out brawl! Would be great for ratings which is all the NBA cares about. Just remember everyone, all this attention paid to the NBA right over this controversial call is great for them and exactly what they want to keep people plugged in. The higher the ratings, the more they can make off of their sponsors. Everyone is being had and the NBA is laughing all the way to the bank. The old saying there is no such thing as bad publicity fits perfectly in this context. The NBA LOVES this!

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

you can go back and forth on how this incident can be interpreted all day. its going to be different with any one you talk to. there's valid points either way this won't be the last time something like this happens. The fact that its DG and the hate he has put on himself throughout the years just enhances it.

10. Duncan McDonuts

Or how protected he is by the league? No other player gets away with the moving screens, bear hugs, arm holds, tackles, suplexes, and barking at the refs like he does.

Add kicking players in the nuts to that list.

11. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Credibility lost.

12. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

It's clear the NBA didn't want to "influence" the conference finals and in part... have actually influenced the WCF by making this decision.

It should have been a suspension, but whatever.

13. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Member

It would be nice if they thought the same way when the NBA suspended Amare and Boris Diaw for walking into the court when Steve Nash got hip checked by Robert Horry. Hell, Zach Randolph punched Steven Adams a few years ago and got suspended as well.

They didn't seem to have any problem "influencing" the game back then. And that was for crossing a white line on the court. In this case, Draymond Green kicked a guy.

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

well the league is going to protect their stars. that's just the reality of it though. there's never really been a consistent basis amongst players. Stars being a priority for many reasons

Look at what KD did to Justin Anderson and Mejri in their series. Deliberate hits to the head and chest yet no suspension. Those were clearly thrown intentionally and meant to send messages.

Until they actively do a better job cleaning up all the extra curricular non basketball plays like flopping/flailing etc, these things are going to continue regularly and in some cases just like this, it can be bad. I mentioned this in another thread and it just seems like the NBA has basically just given up on really regulating it. They're pretty much saying this has become a part of the game and they'll address whatever issue arises when it happens

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/fines-suspensions/

The last person to be fined $25K like DG did for this was WB and that was just for cussing. There's not nearly enough penalties with all the flops going around we see night in and night out.

15. Blake

Blake Member

This just tells me the refs are gonna give GSW the game tonight. The NBA...what a ****ing joke sometimes

16. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Yea I wonder where he would've come up with that idea:confused:

[​IMG]

17. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I really hate this argument of "everyone does it so it should be fine". It's a way of detracting from the primary issue. I'm not talking about the field at large, I'm talking about a subset. The GSW illegal screen and make dirty plays, they should be punished for it. It doesn't mitigate the crime if other people commit it as well.

With that said, drawing comparisons as precedent for punishment is fine. Every situation is different and I get that, but the punishment didn't fit the crime here. I don't care if on the very previous play Green himself was kicked in the nuts by Adams. Green doesn't have a right to play that way. Anyone who does, should be punished.

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

^^^ After Winning a NBA championship who wouldn't go to Vegas haha

19. vj23k

vj23k Member

They are not similar in the least. Westbrook was in the air. Draymond LANDED then kicked up only his right leg in a very deliberate motion.

You only live once, and you've chosen to spend part of that life making the dumbest possible argument.

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

oh shut up. you and whatever agenda you have against DG makes you sound completely stupid. stop replying to me if you don't like it. Just because someone isn't hating all over DG like you are, it doesn't give you the right to think others view on this situation are less than you. go find something else to waste time with