1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

No suspension for Green

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jeevinesh, May 23, 2016.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

so obviously intent matters because he's still playing tonight

2. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Is anyone surprised? The NBA's cash cow right now is the Warriors...

Being kicked in the groin is not fun...but it also can have dangerous consequences. Intentional or unintentional kicks can lead to testicular trauma or other serious medical complications. As JVG stated...the NBA has lost credibility by protecting their star TEAM instead of punishing an intentional act. To show how contrite Green was...look at him trying to intellectualize his actions instead of just saying I am sorry. The NBA suspended Dwight Howard at the beginning of this nightmare season for the "elbow" that clipped Bogut during the playoffs.

Unintentional arm/leg flailing has become very blurred and players have gotten adept at deceiving the league at this.

3. Duncan McDonuts

No idea how you get that, but you've been consistently wrong in every post regarding the subject that nobody is listening to you so I also have no idea why you continue to post about it.

4. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I have to agree, it's hard to call something "unintentional" when it is so blatant. It's incumbent on the flailing player to control themselves...

For this reason, in hockey if a player is hit in the face by a stick, the offending player will get a high sticking call 100% of the time (unless the ref doesn't see it). It doesn't matter if it's intentional - it's up the player to keep themselves under control and not swing around wildly.

To a neutral fan, it makes more sense to protect the person who was just hit in the jewels than the player kicking his legs in an upward motion 'unintentionally', right?

5. count_dough-ku

Yep, and there's no justification for not suspending him given the precedent set just the day before with Jones. I don't wanna hear any crap about intent. It happened 2 games in a row between Green and the same player. Even if by chance, he didn't mean to do it, he needs to be sent a warning to cut it out. And a flagrant foul won't suffice.

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

no idea how i get that? ok, you just said intent doesn't matter pushing the "criteria" he apparently checked 5 of the 6. Yet he's playing tonight still.

lol ive been consistently wrong yeah ok. looks like ive been pretty spot on with this incident actually. thats why Green isn't suspended like people such as you thought he would be.

7. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Stephen A (Black Only Fan) Smith making bull**** excuses.

8. PhiSlammaJamma

First thought is that Silver letting Kike take the fall for these suspensions ( which is why you have an operations guy ) is a slap in the face to how Goodell and the NFL handled their business.

Second thought is that Kike is unfortunately doing the same thing that Goodell did, which is to make judgements based on public opinion and what is right, and not what is policy. That works for a while and everyone is happy, until eventually it all comes crashing down into the form of ultimate power and inconsistency. Policy and equality is your best policy. Kike headed down a dangerous path even if I agree these actions don't warrant suspension, they have, and that has been the policy.

9. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

But overall, having Draymond play is the better venue to watch. This way when GSW loses this series it will be even more humiliating.

10. malakas

malakas Member

ahahaha "Reasonable people can make the case" ? ahaha
    How about the rules? I didn't know the rules differentiated about a player's status?

What a bunch of bullcrap. The most these joke officials and journalists try to excuse this the more ridiculous, biased, shameless and infuriating it is.

11. kjhwang

kjhwang Member

Go join a warriors forum with that crap.

12. ipaman

ipaman Member

honest question, hasn't everyone else who did something similar been given a minimum 1-game suspension?

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

No

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KNHW1ljCZt0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wWuqwQ4u9zw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. ipaman

ipaman Member

okay so it's not a conspiracy. still draymond is a douche and i still think the warios lose the series. he's been so bad that him playing might actually help the thunder LOL!!!

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

I agree with you. Players should be punished for recklessness and not being able to control their bodies whether they intended to hurt someone or not. The rationalizations sound like my children's: "I didn't mean to hit him! I was aiming right next to him!" Don't care, go pick a switch off the tree. (I'm kidding about that last part; I don't whip my children with a switch.)

Well, intent does matter for suspensions. If you intentionally punch or kick another player, you'll get suspended even if you miss (witness Shaq's 3 game suspension for whiffing on Brad Miller's head).

As for the 6 criteria you listed, I would also quibble with #2, whether it was a legitimate basketball play. I think it was not and that while Green may not have intended to kick the dude in the balls, he did intend to flail recklessly to draw contact. But, that's the heart of the counter-argument that his intent speaks to the legitimacy of the basketball play. If it was follow-through or ensuring he gets the whistle, you can argue that's basketball. In the totality of the evidence, I don't think whether or not it was a legitimate play matters, given the recklessness (#4) and the outcome (#1 and 5). I'd suggest to the league that they introduce a criteria to specifically call out recklessness, since this is the same debates we've had about Kobe Bryant, Karl Malone, Bowen, and other reputedly dirty players. What made them dirty was not so much their intentional hits, but a large body of reckless plays that sometimes resulted in 'accidental' hits.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Good call, Stephen A - clearly is a "BOF"

Green INTENTIONALLY kicked his leg upwards at Adams nuts, what a WUSSIFIED NBA not tossing him in the game, or suspending him afterwards.

I hope someone clothelines him and flips him head over heels - and says...ooops...unintentional.

Green is one dirty Mfer...and should be suspended, you NEVER kick a guy in the crotch that is low class...

DD

#156 DaDakota, May 24, 2016
    Last edited: May 24, 2016
  17. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Is Vandeweghe Jewish?

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

I guess dwayne wade and James harden are part of the low class players the NBA has in their league

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Hell yes, when they kicked out they were suspended, so should Green.

An INTENTIONAL kick should warrant a suspension that is an unnatural move and a dangerous one.

Green is a punk assed b****, and I hope someone finds a way to get him back.

DD

20. Duncan McDonuts

The NBA's stance is that it can't identify intent of a player so it's not a criteria. It's an understandable stance. In cases of thrown punches/kicks, it's clear when they're thrown. You can tell by closed fists or how high/horizontal the leg becomes. Intent can be inferred, but it's not the basis of ruling. Recklessness plays into #2. A leg flailing horizontally is not a basketball play, either.

The league does need to clean up the amount of uncalled dirty plays, which at least the NFL is doing something to penalize violent hits with significant potential for injury. Undercutting jumpshooters and arm-locking on boxouts are very dangerous and underpenalized.