1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"No Shot for the Rockets"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Another Brother, May 4, 2009.

1. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

I didn't see this posted, although it is quite possible... ;)

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1064836/index.htm

May 19, 1986

It is not inconceivable that the Houston Rockets could keep James Worthy and his Los Angeles Laker teammates from a rematch with the Boston Celtics in the NBA finals. The Rockets will probably beat the Lakers on the boards, as they did last Saturday (41-35) in Game 1 of the Western Conference finals. They will show the Lakers more than they want to see of Akeem Olajuwon, whose opening-game line read 28 points, 16 rebounds and four blocked shots.

Houston will also throw several different offensive ploys at the Lakers, starting 6'8" Robert Reid at point guard and moving another inside player, Rodney McCray, to point forward from time to time. And they will give the Lakers a look at a younger, rawer version of L.A.'s own nettlesome sixth man, Michael Cooper, in the person of Mitchell Wiggins, who scored 24 points and played enthusiastic defense on Saturday.

But put it all together and the Rockets are still only the second-best team in the West.

The Lakers won the opener going away, and they will win the series, probably in six games. It won't be easy, certainly not as easy as it was in Game 1 when Kareem Abdul-Jabbar had his way inside with 31 points, and Magic Johnson had his way outside with 26 and 18 assists. Sure, L.A. will have its shaky moments, just as it did in the Western semis, where it took six games to dispatch the Dallas Mavericks. And look for the Rockets to marshal all their considerable weapons—the open-court brilliance of off-guard Lewis Lloyd, the textbook outside shooting of Reid, the sudden impact of the unselfish McCray, and, of course, the imposing skyline of Olajuwon and 7'4" Ralph Sampson—to produce one blowout at the Summit in Houston. But it won't be enough.

Something happens to Abdul-Jabbar when he strolls onto the court against the Rockets. Perhaps he feels compelled to prove that, at 39, he is still king and Houston's big men still supplicants, just as he did while averaging 33 points in five regular-season games against the Rockets. Or maybe it's something that doesn't happen. Against Houston he doesn't get double-teamed much, he doesn't get muscled out of skyhook range, he doesn't get fronted and he doesn't get physically abused when he takes his shot. Sampson guarded him most of the way on Saturday and allowed Abdul-Jabbar to get the ball close to the basket, where he is unstoppable.

This is one frisky Abdul-Jabbar on the loose right now. With the Lakers in control late in the sixth and final game against the Mavericks in Reunion Arena last Thursday night, he walked to the first row of the uproarious Dallas fans and cupped one hand to his ear, as if to say, "I can't hear you now." (He paid for it later when someone dumped two cups of beer on his head as the Lakers left the floor.)

Magic is at his best against Houston, too. The Rockets use as many as five different players at the point—six, if Sampson's forays outside are counted—but the Lakers need only one. "The difference wasn't Kareem's 31 points," said Fitch after Saturday's game. "It was that we didn't have a guy out there to take charge, like Magic."

In simplest terms, it is Kareem and Magic who show the Rockets what they are—the Young and the Restless of the NBA, not the Old and the Established. Houston's time will come, but it is not now, not while Kareem has a skyhook left in him and Magic can still find a yellow brick road lo the basket. As the seconds ticked away in Game 1, the Forum fans began a familiar chant: "We Want Boston!" How terribly premature. And how inevitable.

----------------------------------------------------------

Let's prove them wrong again.

2 people like this.
  2. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

We gonna get the W... Guarantee it baby!

3. jevon3012

jevon3012 Member

Damn, Kareem was that good at 39?

4. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

How ironic that the 86 Rockets' strength is the 09 Rockets' weakness: heigth. If we had that, we had a MUCH, MUCH better chance but still I like our chances and how we have been underdogs except for once in the playoffs vs. LA.

Indeed, let's prove them wrong again.

5. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

We will prove all the naysayers wrong. :)

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Funny, I just referenced this very article here. I remember my Dad showing it to me a few days after Game 1. I KNEW I wasn't imagining it!

7. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Awesome, AB. Thanks for posting that.

Now it'd be nice to read some predictions from 1981.

8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I know I already posted this in two other threads but I want to get as much mileage as I can out of it.

[​IMG]

9. acjeitherocket

i love haters!! :D

it"ll be that much sweeter after we win

10. mugrakers

mugrakers Member

I was 2 days short of being 1 :)

11. Another Brother

Wow. I hadn't seen that. VERY nice. :)

12. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Lord, but that photoshop is scary. Frankenstein's player with head on backwards bricking a layup?

13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hey you try turning a black guy white and putting a Chinese guy's head on him. :p

I think the original pic is of Sampson tipping in a miss, not bricking a lay-up.

14. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

two weeks later from the same author...

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1064885/index.htm

15. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

two weeks later from the same author...

From "No Shot for the Rockets" to The Houston Rockets had exactly what it took

June 02, 1986

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1064885/index.htm

I guess that's why they lace 'em up and play the games.

16. buddyboy

buddyboy Member

Yao in short shorts...not a pleasant image...

17. Another Brother

18. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Is this real??

19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

totes mcgoats. :(

20. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

No, it's not.

Yao sat out of practice on Sunday due to his ankle, but said it was no problem and won't even slow him down.