1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

No second round pick in this draft?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Fegwu, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

I apologize if this has been cleared up before but can someone help me out here?

Draftcity and Nbadraft.net are showing that we do not have second round pick this summer. This must be wrong because I thought we gave NY Knicks a future second rounder not this year's.

This is supposed to be the one the deepest draft in a long time (potentially) and it will not make much sense if what those sites listed is true.

Also I saw some interesting information (some I find inconsistent with mental records e.g. the Vasillis information) here

4. (Could it be for this reason?)

2. a-rock

a-rock Member

i think the rockets will the 2nd rounder from the knicks next year. afaik this year´s 2nd round pick was traded to the bucks along with reece gaines and a future 2nd rounder for mike james...

3. Yao Wink

Yao Wink Member

Go to nbadraft.net and click on 53. *New York and it states that New York receives a 2005 Houston second-round pick (Van Gundy).

I brought this up a while back with no replies. Most likely this pick would go to a foreigner that would never wear a Rockets jersey, or a Shandon Anderson clone (Alan Anderson from MSU) or a streetballer Julius Hodge.

4. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

But this year's draft potentially looks like a deep one. I hope CD does not give away this year's pick to NY. Anyway, we could send them their future 2nd rounder they gave to us in the Motay deal.

Also the last link I provided stated that the Bulls owe us a second rounder this summer (2005) and next year's draft but I see not information on that in those mock draft websites.

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I thinnk we traded those away at some point.

6. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

You're stressing over the 50th+ pick in a 60+ player draft.

I could see it if it was a relatively high 2nd rounder, but as it stands now we aren't missing out. If theres someone really worth having in the 2nd, the rox can still trade for a pick. Hell, the bulls got Luol Deng for basically a little cash last year, so Im sure the rox could work out something if need be.

7. Yao Wink

Yao Wink Member

Looking back on the 2004 draft, Phoenix trades away the 7th selection for a 2nd rounder and a future Bulls first round pick.

The Bulls first rounder is protected through No. 3 in the 2005 NBA Draft, through No. 1 in 2006 and is unconditional in 2007. Seeing as though the Bulls would draft at #22 (if the season ended today), the Bulls might choose to let Phoenix have this year's pick.

The gamble for the Suns definitely didn't pay off, but considering they might be in position to get Hakim Warrick or Stoudamire and not have to pay the pre-set salary of the #7 slot, then it wasn't too bad a move for Phoenix. That being said, I think a lot of things had to work in that trade for both teams to want to pull the trigger, and I really doubt the Rockets will be as fortunate as this exception.

8. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

If I'm not mistaken, we gave our next two second round draft picks to Milwaukee along with Reece Gaines in order to get Mike James. In the New York deal we actually gained a second round pick, but it's for the 2006 draft. So no, we do not have a second round pick this year.

9. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that we can land the #7 pick in the same manner the Bulls did, I'm just saying that if we really want another 2nd rounder, it probly wouldn't take much more than cash considerations to get one. And it was a bad move for Pho imo, anyway you spin it. Maybe if Deng turns out to be a bust it works out in their favor, but it don't look like that's happening.

That being said, with the players we will probly have under contract, plus a 1st rounder, plus maybe Badman and/or span-ooo-lus, we probly wont be that desperate to get another 2nd rounder unless JVG and co are just dying for a slipping player.