1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

No Rudy, No Steve.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Earl Cureton, Apr 11, 2003.

1. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

I have been saying that for the last 2 years. Unfortunately, when you say something objective about the Rockets, it leads to being called a "Laker fan" or not a Rockets fan at all.

I guess some people would rather find out reality later rather than sooner.

:rolleyes:

2. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

This thread is hilarious. The way some of you guys talk about the team, it seems like there's a soap opera going on.

Pfff, ridiculous, that's all I have to say to all this talk about ball hogging and not wanting to play team ball. When your scoring leaders start taking less shots, what does that mean? Seriously, how can people overlook Cat taking 4 less shots while still playing about the same amount of minutes as last year? Francis is the first option and he takes less shots per game than some teams' 2nd options like Mashburn, Marion, and Stackhouse.

Well, b**** and moan all summer til your blue in the face. I'm gonna relax and wait for next year. If Yao Ming improves even a little, this team is a lock for the playoffs.

As for replacements for Rudy, I don't want to see him go. But, if he decides to retire due to his current health problem, by no means should Van Gundy be the coach. Those of you who think the offense is terrible now will probably commit mass Rockets fan suicide when you see what they would do under Van Gundy. My suggestion would be to bring in Donn Nelson, but if he won't leave Dallas, then Mike Dunleavy. John Lucas should be brought in as an assistant as well, if he wants.

3. Lil

Lil Contributing Member

we've had a lot of veterans come and go. thorpe, clyde, barkley, pippen, rice to name a few. and frankly, i don't EVER remember them saying anything negative about Rudy's coaching ability.

that's got to count for something...

4. J DIDDY

J DIDDY Member

WAS THAT A RACIAL SLUR?

5. hrocket

hrocket Member

one of the reason why this guy will not be able to get this team to the playoffs. All talk, no walk.

Bye, bye Steve.

6. wink03

wink03 New Member

would it make any sense to keep Yao and Rudy as the core for the team, get rid of Cuttino, move Stevie to SG and then try and bring in a PG who can actually make some good decisions? Then we'd have Rudy working with another (potentially) great big-man in Yao, Stevie could slash or pull-up when we needed it (there's no denying he can score at will) and hopefully find someone new who doesnt mind finishing a game with more dimes than shots attempted.

- not that I have any real suggestions right now as to who this assist-machine would be, but Rudy, Yao and Francis (all 3 of them) still seem too valuable - yes, even on such a dissappointing morning - to get rid them.

7. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Francis only wants Rudy cause Rudy's a player's coach. If the Rockets bring in someone who will not mold to Francis' game, when will Stevie have fun time on the court?

8. anitasri

anitasri Member

Absolutely, Coach Rudy did great but this team needs a Van gundy! If Steve wants to leave, I Would recommned he take his side kick with him.

There are tons of PG's And SG's in the league who actually understand that Baketball is a team game. And if E griffin does not "grow up" I am open to kissing him good bye too!

The change will have to start with Coaching- sadly!

9. anitasri

anitasri Member

Francis is a great athlete. Forget shaq, let him prove that he can even pass Marbury! If he wants to be a star let him show it on the court. Any reasonable NBA guard given 20 shots consistently can have great numbers

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

for my first post ever; I say this. Bring back bill fitch, if he's still alive. He wouldn't take any crap. And Eddie and Maurice could use all the drugs they want too.

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

You guys are all making to much out of these comments.

What do you expect him to say, " I hope we get a new coach",

Get a grip.

12. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Like when he told Derrick Coleman and Chris Morris to check into the game and they REFUSED?

Good posts Oski, jopatmc. Funny stuff about Van Gundy's offensive abilities. The guy is a disciple of Pat Riley's 'ugly ball'.

13. verse

verse Contributing Member

uh. no.

matter of fact. hell. no.

most people do NOT want that kind of offense, because it blatantly ignores the natural abilities that yao ming has - namely his passing abilities. most people, from what i can tell, want an offense where - get this - the weakside actually moves instead of having their thumbs up their ass. most of us want more than 1 cutter in the halfcourt. most of us want weakside screens set for yao ming. most of us want cross screens and double staggered screens for mobley and francis.

if you think we want the dinosaur hakeem offense that worked fine against man coverage, but was a disaster against zones (seattle), you are sorely mistaken.

14. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Fit's my plans. New coach followed by a new PG.

15. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Contributing Member

Stevie wants to leave if Rudy doesnt return?

I heard this from someone this morning who is not a very big Rockets fan but more of a mister know it all who heard from a client.
    I thought he was going to say if Mobley doesnt return, but he said Rudy!?!
    I was wondering if I was one of the only people that have heard of this or where this rumor came from?

Anyone hear this?

16. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Contributing Member

no edit function.
    sorry i didnt see the post with 93 replies.
    im reading now.

DOH!

17. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

18. verse

verse Contributing Member

no read function.

19. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

You want to know the funny thing about this story...

The fans are in a win-win situation. All the pressure is on Rudy and Francis.

See, if Francis tries to hold the city hostage by threatening to leave if Rudy is fired. That means three things can happen.

One, either we keep the two of them together, AND Francis finds a way to win with RUDY (we win). Two, Rudy T is fired, and Francis goes with him, and we trade for another All-Star (we win).

The later wont happen. The last option would be if Rudy was fired, Francis would probably stay. Because there's nothing worse than bashing the fans that have been loyal. It would be a PR nightmare for Francis if he left due to RT being fired.

If you think that Pippen was hated, just wait until Francis tries to leave the Rockets. I don't think that he wants to get the reputation of a "cry baby/quitter."

Remember. It was Francis that demanded a trade from Vancouver Grizzlies during his draft. Would he do it again with Houston. He better not.

He has to remember that basketball is a business.

What will happen? Most likely, Rudy and Francis will stay. And Francis will put more emphasis on making the changes he has to do to get a winning team. In the back of his mind, Rudy's job is on the line. Nice motivation huh? :) Both the fans and the player/coaches win (we win).

20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Consider that Francis had 6 different coaches in six years, when he came to play for the Rockets. I'm sure that is one of the things he is talking about when he said that he doesn't want a new coach, again.

No he wasn't. He was one of two full-time assistants under Jud Heathcote...the other being Tom Izzo. He did scouting, game prepartion and recruiting...exactly what Izzo did. What do you think assistants do in college?

That MSU coaching staff was a highly regarded staff, and remains a proving ground for assistant.

Boylan left for the NBA, in 1992, and a couple years later, Heathcote retired and Izzo took over to become one of the best coaches in the NCAA (mainly based on recruiting). Tom Crean at Marquette was a MSU assistant, too