1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

No Rudy, No Steve.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Earl Cureton, Apr 11, 2003.

1. Timing

Timing Member

Goodness what has to be done to get our players to shut the hell up and play team basketball. If RudyT doesn't go then we need some assistants to come in who actually have some coaching experience that wasn't received under Rudy.

2. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Are you familiar with the level of experience our assistants had when we were winning championships?

3. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Please educate us. It does not look to me that they are good learners base on what they have done in the last 4 weeks.

4. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Okay. The assistants in the glory years were CD and Bill Berry. CD's prior experience featured a run at Baylor. You know, that NCAA powerhouse. Bill Berry coached at some school in Cali, San Jose State, I believe, for like 10 years, managing a .500 record. He then was an assistant at Michigan State for a couple of years, and an assistant with the Sac Kings. NEITHER played in the NBA, to my knowledge.

Fast forward to today, Jim Boylen also was an assistant at Michigan State. Larry Smith had no previous coaching experience (just like many of the people mentioned as possible replacements for Rudy on this board...hey! let's find the next Isiah Thomas!), but he did play in the NBA for many years.

Bottom line, thinking that ASSISTANT coaches make much of a difference in a team's outlook is absurd.

5. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

Fire Rudy, we need a new coach. If Francis realy feels that way then we need to trade him because we don't a player with that kind of attitude on the Rockets team. Fire Rudy, hire Jeff Van Gundy.

6. Panda

Panda Member

Jim Boylen was a video/scouting guy during his college stint. Larry Smith, by all accounts, was a just good rebounder. None of their resume indicates a knack for the tactical side of the game. They are a bunch of yes man. I'll take CD and Berry over them in any day.

7. riggs

riggs Member

I can understand why Steve would say that. Rudy is the only idiot do nothing coach in the league who would let Steve get away with all his ball hogging crap.
    With Rudy at the helm this team will never see a play off game

8. rocketstrike

rocketstrike Member

Any word about what the change is?

9. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Why doesn't Francis have negative feelings toward Larry?

Do you think Larry yelled at Francis, and Francis got his little-bity feelings hurt?

:(

10. orbb

orbb Contributing Member

my thought exactly...i say kick both of 'em off the team:mad:

11. knwldg

knwldg Member

Carol Dawson's wish list:

1) Contact Louisville to ask for rights to tlk with Rick Patino.

2) Put birdie in Nets front office of possible sign and trade for the Kidd.

12. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

I am. Steve is the man for me, I want him in our uniform for his career. Regardless of what happens to him I'll always love the Rockets. Something about him and Cat, they are my men, 20 grand.

Don't break up my team Les.

13. RocketGuy3

RocketGuy3 Member

Ok, the middle one never happened. Notice you yourself said it was a "RUMOR". If that rumor was true, would he be here right now? When a rumor is proven wrong, why would you ever mention it again accept to make fun of the people who started it?

Francis isn't going anywhere.

14. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

They wont break up the team...

<b>Here are the Major issues:</b>

<li>Rudy's health.</li>
    <li>Francis's Turnovers</li>
    <li>Yao's weight training</li>
    <li>Yao needing to learn how to be aggressive from Moses Malone!</li>
    <li>A more motion-style offense that Rudy said he was going to implement</li>
    <li> Bring back that thing called "defense!"</li>

15. hrocket

hrocket Member

francis does like to play for a coach other than rudy 'coz no one else will allow him to dribble and shoot as much as he does. this guy is a great talent but as i said before, too erratic and never uses his brain when he plays. ALL TALENT. BAD LEADER.

MAJOR change is needed on this team to get somewhere next year. Definitely a coaching staff change. regardless if rudy stays as a head coach or move up to management, an overhaul of the assistant coaches is needed.

come to think of it, any change will do. the fans deserve a better team.

16. hrocket

hrocket Member

you took the words out of my mouth.

17. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

The Rockets are class. I don't see them sweeping Rudy away like that. If they did, it is the whole regime going down, CD, Larry, Jim, all of them.

But I can see the Rockets hiring Van Gundy as an assistant head coach in charge of defense, and then letting him grow into coaching the team more and more until when Rudy decides to hang it up in a year or two, Van Gundy's relationship is solid with Steve and Yao. Then Steve and Yao will want Van Gundy and the Rockets get their man, a quality coach with a quality franchise, coaching quality talent, who already knows how to coach defense, and he can learn our offensive scheme from Rudy. Yes, Rudy is an offensive genius. And Rudy is the master ego massager. Just harken back to Hakeem. Hakeem was a disaster until Rudy got here and worked with him. Hakeem was a PR disaster and a whiner, complaining about everything from his contract to Sleepy Floyd not throwing him the ball enough. Rudy worked all that out and built that offense that won us 2 championships. It was a good offense, the same offense that everybody griped about in 96 because we didn't have a run and gun fun style. The same offense that people are now begging the Rockets to implement so that Yao can touch the rock and make the decisions with the double team coming at him. The same post up, find the open man for the 3 offense. Everybody's griping because we ain't got no shooters, all we got is guard that want to drive and dunk. People are fickle, fans are fickle. But this is a class organization, Les is a class owner, CD is a class GM, and Rudy is a class coach.

This was probably Larry Smith's opportunity to show if he had what it took. I like Larry as a person, but it is obvious that he doesn't motivate the players with all that yelling and staring he does. It just hasn't made a difference, quite opposite, I can see that his yelling and tirades actually demotivates them.

Knowing how the Rockets do things, wouldn't it be more logical for them to bring in Van Gundy to work with Rudy before turning the team over to them?

18. yaodynasty

yaodynasty Member

YES.

Fire the Coach that just want to a player's coach first than a team's coach to win games. A coach is not paid by the players. We fans don't come to watch your ugly and low IQ ISO gameplays.

Trade SF if you think you are the one to play one-on-four or five. I'd like to trade you for Jaric and Wilcox.

19. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

so ask to be traded to another team isn't "play for another coach, starting all over?":confused: :confused: :confused:

20. drago_ubc

drago_ubc Member

I can't believe Francis is doing this... again. :mad:

A long time ago I was a "Vancouver" Grizz fan and when we drafted him 2nd overall and to see his face after was sickening.

Here he goes with his whinning again. Does he think the world revolves around him or something? For what Francis gets paid for he should shut his mouth and do his job, and that is to do what he's coach tell's him to do, no matter who the coach is.

He is a cancer, you might not know it now Houston fans, but it will show eventually.
    :rolleyes: