1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

No Rudy, No Steve.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Earl Cureton, Apr 11, 2003.

1. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Question: I didnt get to hear all of what he was sayiin on 610...I faintly heard something mentioned about Avery Johnson being friends with Keith Jones and has expressed interest in coaching one day...

Is AJ lookin to retire and become a an assistant soon? If so, he could show our guards a thing or two about how to play within a team framework. I would be a little concerned whether or not AJ woul dbe one of those "player's coachs" because of his public persona of being all nice and polite.

2. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Its a whole lot easier finding little players than big players. You can only take back half his salary which would be about 10mill. Call the clipps and offer him and his homeboy for Brand and Miller. Give me Miller,Brand,Ming,Posey and whoever at the 3 and i think the playoffs are closer. Francis likes Rudy because he gets to continue to make the same stupid rookie mistakes that he's always made.

3. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

How about a guy like Jim Cleamons. I'm one of those guys who aretired of the retreads. Recently, guy like Carlisle in Det,Scott in Jersey,Musselman in GSW and the guy in Denver have done well. Lets give a guy like Clemons,Eddie Jordan, or the Utah asst a chance.

4. basketball

basketball Contributing Member

Francis' obligation is to the contract that he sign with the Rockets. The team suppose to be above everything. If management feel that bring in another coach or another player that will result in winning games then Francis have no right to stop it from happening. This is about a team trying to win championship and not a team that consist of your buddies. Steve need to realize this and he should support whatever management do in order to improve this team (whether bringing in a new coach or trading one of Steve's buddy). His obligation is to the Houston Rocket's organization and not to a particular coach or players. Afterall, the fans and the Rockets are the one that paying his salaries so his loyalty should be to the organization and to the Rocket's fans. By saying that, I am not saying that we should fire anyone but whatever the move that the organization make (to better the team), they should have the full support from Steve and other players.

5. almostReady

almostReady Member

Bye Rudy! (get well please, though.)

Bye Steve. Go to another team so you can feature more ESPN hightlights.

6. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Start a thread on the topic. My hunch is you'll get plenty of responses.

But you will need to phrase it without any associated player(s). Don't phrase it "if we traded Steve for Kidd would you be a Rockets fan or a Nets fan?" The thread will meander far from your intended inquiry.

Something "If the Rockets traded Steve, would you still be a Rockets fan?"

7. yaonotyo

yaonotyo Member

steve is a whiny loser whined his way out of playing in vancouver. this guy is a chump. trade him for andre miller a true point guard

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

that

that is a stupid thing to say
    if he is trade . . is he not starting over with a new coach???
    and a new team?? and new players?? in a new city??

Rocket River

9. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Tell me how many "winners" do that? Fact is that he's supposed to be our leader. At a time when cooler heads must prevail, if we are to win the next 3, the last thing we need is for the "leader" to throw a tantrum.

To me, it's his sign of giving up.

Now if he kicks ass the next 3 games, I will happily eat crow.

10. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

If true, goodbye Francis. Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out. The Rockets management needs to evaluate every position including coaching during the offseason. I'd can Rudy for Dunleavy only. No player should be able to call the shots. Management does its job. The player does his job. Francis will have to be dealing with a new coach anyways if he's traded...hopefully that coach will be Bill Cartwright.

11. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

The only coach I'd dump Rudy for is Van Gundy. His players play their asses off for him, and listen to him.

Rudy has a lot of uncoachable players though, so it's not totally his fault. I really don't know many coaches who could succeed with the type of players we have.

This team is chock full of guys who either don't care, or they think too highly of themselves. Those are the 2 worst kinds of players you can have.

12. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

What's next: no Cuttino, no Steve? Or how about: no Moochie no Steve? Screw Francis. Changes have to be made. Lets say we keep the coaching staff intact. You know he's going to be pissing and moaning if we unload some of his buddies.

13. GB_Rocket

GB_Rocket Contributing Member

Pot. kettle. Black.

14. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Go ahead and bash Steve for sticking up for his coach. Would you be praising him if he pulled a Penny or a Magic and got his coach fired?

Steve's stand for Rudy once again demonstrates: Players want to play for Rudy. So don't forget the value of Rudy as a recruiter. We need Rudy around this summer when restricted free agent Elton Brand is touring the league. Offer Brand the same contract we gave co-rookie of the year Steve (the max) if Brand will demand a sign and trade by the Clipps. The deal Sterling is too cheap to offer. Then Brand takes Yao's offer of Griffin and Mobley back to Sterling, along with his trade demand, and we get the deal done.

15. New Jack

New Jack Member

While Steve's cause is good, he's going about it the wrong way. Trying to bully management to do things your way or you're walking is just not right. Especially since Steve's done nothing for the organization yet to make any demands.

16. KeepJuaquin

KeepJuaquin Member

Man...even the coach of Syracuse would be good. :D

17. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Godd**n, guys. The guy's just being loyal. Any one of us might feel the same way, in the same situation.

Steve has a contract and has to play for the Rockets. If Rudy doesn't go, we better make some adjustments at the other spots, because only Steve and Yao are untouchable.

"Good-bye Francis, see ya Steve." Damn, talk about one-ways. Brutal.

What, did anyone expect Steve to come out and say, "They better fire Rudy"?

Steve knows the team f'd up this year and has been trying to shoulder some of the blame, taking it away from his coach; and you BLAST HIM FOR THIS?!?!

18. montelwilliams

Steve said that Shaq can choose whichever coach he likes, so he can, too. That is absurd. Shaq and Steve do not have the same leverage. Shaq has won 6 championship rings and knows what it takes to win it all. Steve does not know how to win anything.

19. montelwilliams

duh, that should say 3 rings, not 6.

20. yaonotyo

yaonotyo Member

since when shaq won 6 rings:confused: