1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

No one forgets Buffalo; they all forgot KC

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by xiki, Jan 19, 2010.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

The Oilers, oh the Oilers...their melt down for the ages v Buffalo is ne'er forgot, but after winning 11 in a row and facing a so-so KC squad in the Dome? Home; and then home is Titanville.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/01/17/mmqb/4.html#ixzz0d4DGNOa5

San Diego's sloppiness. In all aspects. Ten penalties, the missed field goals, Philip Rivers not make a single play downfield ... how does a team with an 11-game winning streak throw slop like that on the field in the playoffs?

2. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

They had Montana back? :confused:

Also, the KC loss wasn't a 30+ point turn around.

3. CrazyJoeDavola

I remember Keith Cash scoring that TD and spiking the ball right into that Buddy Ryan poster in the end zone.

:(

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I remember keith and kerry, twins at UT, i was a fan as a kid, i was ut student that year, that spike hurt

i hated arguing with cowby fans but i did have the rockets

5. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

It's not the Oilers meltdown that people remember about Buffalo...it's all about Scott Norwood and three floggings in the last game of the playoffs.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The biggest thing that Oilers team had going for them was their defense. Buddy Ryan turned that whole squad into a beastly sack/turnover machine.

Their offense had actually leveled off... as the receivers had lost a step, and most of the league had caught on to the "run and shoot".

Their offense was so-so for the game... but their defense was unable to get to Montana.

Remember, this was a team they beat in the regular season 30-0. They choked, and its yet another reminder of how underacheiving that franchise was... and still is.

7. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Every big comeback for the last 15+ years comes with reference and video of that Bills 2nd half travesty.

The KC lost was just about as horrid, and where is the reference? Frankly, I can do without it thankyouverymuch. It just struck me as ironic, is all.

8. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Bad karma klippers meet the bad karma kolumbia bluesers.

9. mrdave543

mrdave543 Contributing Member

I never forgot KC, remember that game like yesterday. Went to the taping of "tell it like it is" on ch 11 at restaurant at westheimer and san felipe, the day before. Went to the game, so pumped up, thought for sure we were going to win. Had the lead for most of the game. Remember montana getting the ball around the 15 yard line, and he just marched all the way down to win the game...

:(

10. SwoLy-D

It was not against the same team. In the regular season, they didn't have Joe Montana. :eek: Why are people forgetting this?

#10 SwoLy-D, Jan 20, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  11. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

Was that the "Buddy Ryan going gangster on Kevin Gilbride" game?

12. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/o5zNNkAtrz8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/o5zNNkAtrz8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

13. SwoLy-D

No, that was against the J-E-T-S, JETS! JETS! JETS! (am I going to get arrested now?) :(

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bPK3cDl7Ftw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bPK3cDl7Ftw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

14. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

I remember the Oilers being up 10-0 at the half and thinking, "I think this Oiler team is about to crater again."

If I recall, the Oilers had opportunities to expand the lead, and could not do it.

15. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

They should of Fired Kubiak!!! :cool: You know it's his fault.

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

never forget

[​IMG]

so many things to remember, the oiler went on the 11 game win streak that season, the christmas day defeat of the 49ers, the same day robert horry went dunked his way to fame against the phoenix suns.

christmas day 93, I will never forget it

17. Rockets9495

Rockets9495 Contributing Member

18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Last Oiler game I ever went to.

Even being there, though, it didn't feel nearly as bad as the Buffalo game.

Yes, Buffalo was on the road, but against a backup quarterback. Plus it was the biggest lead ever blown. Plus, at least personally, despite the 11 game win streak, I was still remembering how that Oiler team started the season and knew they had it in them to blow the game.

That's not to say it wasn't heartbreaking.

But it wasn't nearly as bad, imo.

19. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I was at that game. No one in the stands could figure out what was going on.

I'd like to add a request of the mods. Ban anyone who mentions the tragedy of January 3, 1993.

20. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Damn Bo Orlando got drilled at the 0:56 mark.