1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

No Need To Panic

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jboslett, Mar 18, 2008.

1. jboslett

jboslett Member

Fellow Clutchfans members, the obvious thing to do after getting blown off our home court in such a big game is to enter panic mode. However, there are many things to consider besides the fact that we just didn't play well.

1. We missed a lot of shots that we usually make. Scola and Hayes missed several layups that would normally be made. It's tough to stay in a game against the best team in either conference while missing as many opportunities as we did. I think free throws can be included in this point. Late in the fourth quarter we are 5-12 from the line. More than 5 points need to come out of 12 free throws, so this is another factor.

2. No Landry. With Landry, I'm not going to say we would have won. However, Landry is arguably our 4th or 5th most important player; behind McGrady, Alston, Scola, and Battier. He brings an incredible energy to our team and is our best low post finisher. He cannot be left like Chuck Hayes or Dikembe on the pick and roll because he can finish so well.

3. Boston's defensive scheme was perfect. Not letting T-Mac get in the lane takes away our ability to find open looks. Their team plays excellent team defense which is probably overall better than ours is because they have so many good 1 on 1 defenders. The main problem was that other perimeter defenders for the Celtics would not leave their men to help on T-Mac, thus, no open looks from 3. Hopefully other teams do not adopt this style as it clearly bothers our offensive flow.

4. Matchups were clearly a major issue for us. Very few players, if any, can match up with Kevin Garnett effectively. As far as other matchups are concerned, the Celtics simply had a lot more size and rebounding ability than we did.

5. Simply put, we played the best team in the NBA. They play hard on both sides of the ball and have great talent and size. Also, they had extra motivation to come into our house and knock off the hottest team in basketball.

Overall, instead of looking at this game as a step back, we need to see it as the end of what was an amazing run. I'm proud to say I'm a fan of such a hardworking team who never gave up, despite losing one of their superstars. While everyone in the US counted us out, we counted the wins. All 22 of them, 9 of which happened without Yao Ming. Here's to enjoying the rest of the season and postseason, post 22 win streak.

Remember, "adversity causes some to break; others, to break records."

2. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

too late, I'm already panicking! the season is over!!! :D :p

3. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

hey I'm not panicking, I just don't think these officials should go near a basketball game ever again.

4. RaferMadness

RaferMadness Rookie

22 wins in a row and it ends against the best team in the league? I think we can all live with that. these next 3 road games will really be crucial though. I hope we atleast go 2-1

5. WNBA

WNBA Member

The last 4 games have shown some very bad signs.

No ball movement, less assists. Rafer was shooting too many, missing too many.

6. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Very true, plus it also felt like Tmac wanted the ball less and less probably because he was tired.

7. Pringles

Pringles Member

also, add, the last two games... no tmac.

i'm realy worring how this team will coperate tommorow. how they will play. will the play with that same fire for the rest of the season? or are they gonna think, they suck, and can't even lose close to boston. this mental crap is killing me, it's causing me to panic.

8. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

no reason to panic seeing as though we just flat out aren't gonna make much noise come playoff time. we just overachieved in a monumental way, so be happy we got to witness history. hopefully we can advance to the 2nd round this year, but i wouldn't bet on it (depending on the matchup, of course).

let's just pray landry is relatively healthy, and that yao makes a full recovery next year. i really think that with this nucleus - assuming we can stay healthy - this team can contend for the title next year. no doubt in my mind.

9. fayesun

fayesun Member

Yes, if Landry were there, he would have released Scola so that Scola could have done a much better performance.

10. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

Hopefully there won't be a losing streaks. From being soooo HIGH and this lost was the ULTIMATE LOW for the guys. They need to be professional and erased this loss and pick up where they left off during the 22 win streaks.

11. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

I'll post this again:

The Atlanta Hawks beat the Houston Rockets 133-111, ending Houston’s record-tying streak for the best start in NBA history at 15-0.

12. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I've said this since around #15 win.

When you win this many games in a row it doesn't matter how or who you lose to. When you put up a historic win streak you are excused and expected to get shocked and embarrassed at some point. That's why the games are actually played by real, human players. These guys cannot play at such a superb level every single night.

The Rockets lost to the best team in the league after reeling off 22 in a row. There is absolutely nothing to hang your head over or be mad about. This was probably the best scenario, most respectable game in which to end a streak.

....and as I type this; please Barkley start watching the effing games. We didn't win 22 by luck or by Tmac turning into MJ. This squad has more than a few guys who can score buckets. I'm sick of this dude acting like every guy on the team not named Tmac or Yao is a YMCA baller.

13. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Rockets just got beat on the boards because the Celtics have size. Missing Carl Landrys inside presence is probably bigger then them missing Ray Allen. Im pretty sure Roxs are going to sign Dale Davis or some big soon because they realize this as well.

14. sonalikumar

sonalikumar Member

I don't think there is any reason to panic. In some ways, I am glad the "loss" is over so that we can concentrate without all of the pressure of the "streak" Sure it would have been nice to win today, but we lost to a better team.. and the Rockets put up a fight before they decided to give up. In any case, let's get the win tomorrow.. honestly the next three games are much bigger than this one was.. so no need to panic, not until we lose the next 3, which will NOT happen!!! Go ROCKETS!!! :)

15. MYM[Moon

MYM[Moon Member

Yeah, you're one of the very little fans who are insightful and intellectual ;)

16. poprocks

poprocks Member

No ball movement is a testament to Boston's superb defense. I wish we had somehow been able to keep Tom Thibodeau. The guy knows all our players inside and out and was able to defend T-Mac down to the last minutia.

In typical JVG fashion, the Celtics took away the lane. Defended T-Mac with two players and harassed him all night. Forced any player that penetrated to force kick the ball out which led to a contested three pointer.

17. poprocks

poprocks Member

As the Rafer Alston goes, so do the Houston Rockets. We still need a consistent playmaking guard who can keep his wits when the sky is falling.

18. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

fantastic post.

19. lunaticrocket

lunaticrocket Rookie

I am panicking!!!! I have realized we will only win the WCF. No way we win the NBA Finals. Boston is simply a superior team. Until next year when we have Yao :)

20. Mad-Mac

Mad-Mac Member

Amen to OP. We need to keep the one game at a time attitude, no matter what happened last game.