1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

No Mention of the Central Sweep

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sishir Chang, Apr 9, 2001.

1. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

As someone unfortunately stuck in the land of Jim Petersen and Kevin McHale I was sorely disapointed that I haven't heard any mention of the Rockets' sweeping the Central. In the Minneapolis Star-Tribune they printed a tiny recap of the Rockets' win over the Hawks with narry a word about the sweep. They didn't even mention it in the section where they print up general stuff about the NBA. Infact the only thing they mentioned about the Rockets was a crack that Maurice Taylor might get more rebounds now that he is on IR.

------------------

2. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

I've also noticed that the media is not giving the rockets the attention they deserve for accomplishing such an incredible feat. I haven't heard anyone comment on it, havent seen an article about it on nba.com or espn.com. They sure didn't mention it on NBC today. What the Rockets did might not ever be done again, and they get hardly any praise. All i hear is: "the twolves, there's a dangerous first round team." or "New York and Miami, could it be the best rivalry in sports?" What a bunch of BS! Someone tell me i missed something. Has anyone seen or heard someone give the rockets some props for this?

------------------
    Hakeem, Hasaw, Haconquered.

3. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

the nba.com game recap against the Hawks recalled how the last time a division was swept was when the 82-83 Lakers swept the Central division 12-0. we went 16-0 this season. it's a pretty good feat, but i think it is the biggest deal to rockets fans only.
    to people whoi look at the box score in iowa, it looks like the rockets beat the hawks.

------------------
    "Playing with Steve makes my job so much easier, "He's such a complete player. He has some great moves and shoots from the outside and in the post. We communicate well on the floor." - Hakeem Olajuwon

4. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

------------------
    "Awesome baby!"

Dick Vitale

5. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

why bother the central may as well be the in the CBA

------------------
    "Repression never did me any harm (I finally ceased to include "stop masturbating" as one of my guilt ridden New Year's resolutions, but that's a different topic)." Achebe - programmer by day, Mrs Palmers Husband by night

6. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Unfortunately, most of the media cares very little about what happens to lottery teams, no matter how amazing the accomplishment.

------------------
    Hakeem "The Dream" Olajuwon is the greatest player in the history of basketball. If you disagree, you are not a Rocket fan.

7. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Miami and New York is the most boringest rivalry in sports. All those 68-65 or 75-73 games are not exactly entertaining.

------------------

8. Major

Major Member

That's because it's not a big deal. Think about it -- did YOU know that LA was the only team to have done that until we were like 10-0 against the Central? I assume not, and the reason is that its a "who cares?" piece of knowledge. It might be a nice piece of trivia or a nice goal for the Rockets, but it really is meaningless in terms of the NBA as a whole.

------------------
    http://www.swirve.com ... more fun than a barrel full of monkeys and midgets.

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Come on people, you're talking about a pretty obscure record here. It's more of a "oh by the way" stat than a "record".

That being said, I'm surprised the Jordan Bulls never swept a division... hmm.

------------------
    "So you say you want some intelligent responses? I say give me something intelligent to respond to." -- Dimwits beware, B-Ball freak tells it like it is. Sing it bro!

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Maybe it is nothing more than a piece of trivia, but it's still pretty damn impressive (you can bet we'd hear about it if the Knicks managed it). But, this oversight can be fixed. Go out into the world; find all the message boards you can and tell people of this achievement. Maybe no national media will mention it, but everyone will still know about it.

------------------
    RealGM
    Gafford Art
    Artisan Cakes

11. Hydra

Hydra Member

You couldn't watch basketball earlier in the season without hearing about New York's streak of holding teams under 80 points, or somewhere around there. They weren't even winning some of those games.

------------------
    "Of course, thats just my opinion, I could be wrong" -- Dennis Miller

12. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

I was watching the game on NBA League Pass and the Hawk's broadcasters were talking about how the Rockets sweeping the Central 'will be on every front page in the country'. I guess they must have been pretty embarrassed when they woke up in the morning, turned on SportsCenter, and heard basically nothing if anything on us sweeping the Central. They probably had something in the Atlanta paper on it, since we completed the sweep against them, but that's probably it. I've always thought of the Hawks' broadcasters as morons [​IMG].

------------------
    Sorry Clutch; I had to copy the recap headline "the Mo and Fro Show" into my username cause I loved it!

[This message has been edited by themoandfroshow (edited April 09, 2001).]

13. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

Meaningless trivia it might it would still be nice to see the Rockets get some mention. Especially considering how much meaningless trivia gets spewed about the Lakers, Knicks, and Jazz. This also says something about the make up of the league when a team that didn't make the playofs still manages to sweep a whole division.

------------------

14. Band Geek Mobster

The difference is these teams are all playoff teams while we're not (barring a miracle). How much meaningless trivia have you heard about other lottery bound teams?

------------------
    Thoughts?