1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

No longer defensive, 2009-10 Rox going eraserless

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by verse, Aug 13, 2009.

1. verse

verse Contributing Member

The 2009-2010 season approaches soon and the Rockets are poised to make history (or at least as far back as I can remember). For the first time that I can recall, we are entering a season without a single shotblocking threat. Not a one. Not a Yao, Dikembe, Cato, Griffin, Olajuwon, Sampson, Malone, or even Tree Rollins around. No one to guard the paint, intimidate penetrating guards, or erase the mistakes of steal happy guards (the biggest offender, Ron, is gone. He should've been enrolled in Gambler's Anonymous). Still, this knowledge leads me to another conclusion: not only will we not be contenders (no bikini-clad cutie jumping out of the birthday cake on that one...barely even an eyebrow raise actually), we're also about to relinquish our claim as one of the perennial top defensive teams in the league.

No matter the brainy brilliance of Battier, nor the length and athleticism of Ariza, without at least a Ratliff, Camby, D'Andre Jordan, Elson, or the like, an eraser in their hip pocket, our defense is going to get shredded.

Historically speaking, the NBA's greatest defensive teams have always had a big man capable of erasing all the mistakes of their lane jumping, gambling guards and forwards. Even guard dominating teams of yore had their own Cartwright, Grant, Rodman, Salley, Mahorn, Buddha Edwards, Sheed or Big Ben Wallace on patrol. Here in Houston, we've seen entire defensive strategies devised to funnel opposing guards into the middle of the paint, daring them to delve into Hakeem's lair, Dikembe's web, or Yao's house. Sure, we've been blessed with some athletic Horrys, gritty Elies, Mad Maxes, brainy Battiers, and roguish RonRons. And we've been able to consistently field a top 5 NBA defense. However, none of those teams make their defensive marks and none of those individual stoppers are nearly as effective without their fly swatter.

Why have Morey/Adelmen chosen to do this? Surely, they realized when Yao went down that we were losing more than 20/10, but - perhaps just as importantly - our defensive rock in the middle. Shane brains mean nothing without the braun of Yao. Yet, all I have see so far is David Anderson and talks with Gortat and PJ Ramos, none of whom are great defenders and one of which (*cough* Anderson *cough*) has a definite paint allergy. Are we looking to turn a different direction, giving up some (A LOT) of our defensive reputation for more dynamic offense? If that is the case, we DEFINITELY have no use for Battier. His D this year, sans Yao, will be nothing at all like it was last year. Ariza could give relative defensive presence and, if we are willing to sacrifice some D for O, a substantial improvement offensively.

I hope that we are not going this direction, and that Morey is working on buying a fly swatter. I don't care if it's the dollar store version like say Chris Anderson or Channing Frye or the Macy's version like Marcus Camby. They accomplish the same very needed goal of protecting the paint. No perimeter defender can succeed without one. Even if this is a mulligan year, waiting for the return of Yao (a dangerous gamble to say the least), it still would serve the team well to acquire one. Its not as if we couldn't use another shotblocker with or without Yao. There are many who trust Morey implicitly, but I must say this decision, thus far, troubles me from my head to my Chuck Nevitts.

2 people like this.
  2. s3ts

s3ts Member

So then what would be your solution to this problem? What other options do the Rockets have so that we do a massive downgrade on the D and try to nab a dynamic offense?

The offseason is still on, and we still got a long ways to go until we see a bigger picture. I'm sure you have this in mind, but I'm just putting that out there. We can't possibly do half as much as we did without Yao this season. Especially after losing some of the key ingredients that made the team stick.

3. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Chuck Hayes is a good post defender, and I guess Landry and Scola can block a few shots...

4. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

chill dude, morey has plenty of time to make a trade.......but i do see what you are saying about needing another big man....peace out

5. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

He is completely right.

We have no shot-blocking threat.
    Sure, we have guys that might block the odd shot, but as the roster currently stands, Shane Battier will lead the team in blocked shots.

OH - unless that Joey Dorsey kid gets some playing time. You know, the short C with the extremely long arms; the guy who is known for his defense, but contributes little on the offensive end; the guy who tore up summer league with his rebounding and shot blocking.

You can say what you like about the guy - but he was always jut over or just under 2 blocks per game in his college career. Technically speaking he's a shot-blocker. And, yes, he is the poor mans version - but he's still a version!

I'm also hoping that Morey adds a 7' who has shot-blocking skills (Battier, Cook and a 2nd for Camby?) - but I'd rather not be saddled with an ugly contract just for the sake of getting someone who can block a few shots.

6. verse

None of those 3 have the ability to alter shots at the rim. None of those three are intimidating forces in the middle.

Hayes' brutish, banging, quick handed one-on-one defense means nothing to a Chris Paul or Deron Williams streaking to the basket. Landry has all the athleticism, but very little natural instincts to block shots. Scola has.credit card vertical and more prone to flop like a flounder than to reject a layup.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Can't blame em for trying though... Rockets protect the basket by taking charges. We are definitely going to look like a college team out there this season.

8. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Even more than his offense, his defense is what will be missed, IMHO. He is probably the best straight up post defender in the entire league and has made huge strides in his overall ability to protect the basket without getting in foul trouble. Yao Ming's loss takes away our calling card - defense.

I wouldn't trade Shane simply to correspond with the necessary change in philosophy. Even with trades, without Yao (or his salary equivalent), we won't be contending. If the team is invariably tied to Yao, it would be better just to hold on to our pieces and see what happens when he returns.

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Sure it's preferable to have a shot blocker, but you can defend decently without one.

New Orleans from last year is an example of a good defensive team without a shot blocking threat. Their top shot blocker was Tyson Chandler and not only did he average only 1.2 per game, he also only played for half the season. The Spurs had Tim Duncan at 1.7 per game, and no one else. Their defensive efficiency was actually pretty good when Duncan sits.

10. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Waitaminute here.

I agree with your premise somewhat, but how can you preach "we must have a shotblocker," then turn around and say you want Channing Frye but not Gortat?

Frye is a creampuff. He's 6'11 and athletic, but he doesn't block shots. He's not an intimidator, he's the intimidated. Gortat IS an intimidator. That's what makes him good. That's why we wanted him. It's Gortat's offense that's no good, not his defense. Get your facts straight. :p

11. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

It would really help if we had another shot blocker. Most of us have not seen Anderson play, but from his reputation, I can't say that he is a defensive threat by any means. The best case scenario is for Anderson to develop a smart defensive game like Scola's. There will be times were we will pull out our hairs because of our shotblocking or lack there of, but I still think we can retain a top 5 defense with Hayes and Anderson.

Also, verse. You should be a writer, if you aren't one already. Although I don't agree with everything you said, it was very entertaining to read.

12. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Agreed. verse has long been one of the most entertaining reads on this board. very similar in style to cbrownfanclub and the late popeye.

13. verse

Absolutely. I believe people to be foolish to assume it is Shane that holds this defense together. While he definitely is the coach on the floor, just like a sideline coach ultimately needs oncourt talent to be successful, Shane needs a paintblocker so he can orchestrate a defensive symphony.

As for us being invariably tied to Yao and taking the "wait and see" approach (a theory which I believe you, personally, do not necessarily ascribe to) I vehemently disagree with that line of thinking. This time, this very year, is the perfect time to grab a Wilcox, Petro, Elson, Kaman, etc., etc., to let them learn the system and still do what they do best, be a good defender/rebounder and, by extension, allow Ariza, Battier, etc. to do what they do best. If/when Yao does his Willis Reed...make that Zydrunas Ilgauskas return to save the franchise (why is there no "smack your forehead" emoticon?) that player can move to their natural place in the rotation, but with (at least) a full years playing experience under his belt.

As for moving Battier, I'm not saying toss him out with the Cook...I mean trash. I am definitely for moving him in an effort to upgrade bigger positions with longer term ramifications (ie: in pkg for an Amare).

There just is no logical or historical basis behind leaving this roster as is. None. Unless we think John Wall is our Tim Duncan.

14. verse

My apologies on Frye. You're absolutely right on that one. Damn stream-of-consciousness writing coupled with very limited proofreading lends itself to such gaffes (Aside: I grew up thinking the word was giff, not gaffe. Had something to do with a horrible ex-Oiler QB named Neilson. Strange.).

Gortat was no giff, though. I believe him to be the beneficiary of one great stretch of the season, one where he played over and above his normal capabilities and *viola!* he's donned a good defender. I don't see the athleticism nor natural timing inherent and instinctive to all shotblockers. I do like the "Polish Hammer". Reminds me of my childhood days rushing to the TV to catch MidSouth Wrestling. "Rowdy" Roddy Piper, Dusty Rhodes, the "Polish Hammer" Ivan Putski. Sing it with me Archie and Edith: "those were the days...."

15. alethios

alethios Member

As the Good Doctor said:
    <quote>OH - unless that Joey Dorsey kid gets some playing time. You know, the short C with the extremely long arms; the guy who is known for his defense, but contributes little on the offensive end; the guy who tore up summer league with his rebounding and shot blocking.

You can say what you like about the guy - but he was always jut over or just under 2 blocks per game in his college career. Technically speaking he's a shot-blocker. And, yes, he is the poor mans version - but he's still a version!OH - unless that Joey Dorsey kid gets some playing time. You know, the short C with the extremely long arms; the guy who is known for his defense, but contributes little on the offensive end; the guy who tore up summer league with his rebounding and shot blocking.

You can say what you like about the guy - but he was always jut over or just under 2 blocks per game in his college career. Technically speaking he's a shot-blocker. And, yes, he is the poor mans version - but he's still a version!</quote>

We may be pleasantly surprised that certain gaps will be filled by people we least expect to fill them.

16. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Member

I brought this up in another thread, but how good would this "eraserless" lineup have been:

Scola
    Artest
    Ariza
    Battier
    McGrady

17. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Last season when the Rocket shut down Chris Paul in Houston, Adelman singled out Chuck Hayes in post game interview for his incredible help defense. So I'll disagree with that.

Those players are at their best in pick and rolls. I'll take Chuck over Yao any day in defending the pick and roll, no offense to Yao.

18. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

While I agree that our defense will suffer without Yao in the middle, I don't think it will mean a collapse. His shotblocking was coming around but his sheer size deterred many from even challenging in the paint. That pure size in the paint we will miss. Which is why the Ramos look may have merit. I still think our overall team D will be good enough to compensate. As good? No.

19. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Eh... if you adjust for minutes played, Gortat blocked a pretty decent number of shots all year. I'm not necessarily sure he's worth the contract he signed, but I really think he protects the middle well. He patrols that lane. Besides the blocks themselves, he just meets people at the rim and has good strength.

But oh well. It's not like getting Gortat would be the difference in us being an elite team or not. I just think most of the credit he gets is warranted.

20. 1individual

1individual Member

OP says Battier is useless. I disagree whole heartedly. Hes the best defender in the NBA, ask Kobe. We need him to defend the best players.