1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

No computer for you, student!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Lady_Di, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

What do you think of this article?

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/23/t...-silicon-valley-technology-can-wait.html?_r=1

Would you send your kids to a school like this? I grew up with limited technology. As a child, I didn't watch TV that much because of lack of captioning. If I did, I'd use my imagination on what the characters were saying. I practically lived on books as a child. No video games, cell phones or computers. I had my first computer when I was 17 and first cell phone with text messaging at 21.

I think I would be okay sending my kids to a school with a Waldorf method because obviously I fared well and adapted to technology. That goes for all of us who grew up before the technology era. My future kids can experience technology at home so I don't see an issue sending them to a school that does not have computers.

Thoughts??

1 person likes this.
  2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I would absolutely want my kid to learn how to use a computer! It is a necessary skill.

At the same time, I can't imagine growing up with social media and cell phones -- always being plugged in. I'd love to see a documentary or study on how social media has impacted middle schoolers and high schoolers.

I feel sorry for teachers. Until I remember how much off time they get.

Also this...
    The lack of evolution in education might be the biggest reason education is such a problem right now. Every process evolves, gets better... education lags behind.

3. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

I agree and YOU can teach them how to use a computer. The question is would you send them to a school that does not teach computer skills to kids?

I have no idea how I survived before social media and cell phones.

4. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

If we're talking about good kids from good families who will be able to turn it on come testing time, that's fine. But most of us are glorified data clerks in the making so this really isn't acceptable on a large scale.

5. liljojo

liljojo Member

There's no valid reason to not use computers in a classroom if you can afford it. They're a great learning tool and have become an integral part of virtually every facet of life. This is probably just a ploy to get some press.

6. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Not to take this thread off topic, but my wife who is an 11th grade English teacher would not be too amused by your statement.

This is her schedule:

Monday-Friday 7:00AM - 6:00PM (no breaks of course)
    Come home and grade for another 2 hours everyday
    = 13 hours a day times 5 = 65 hours.

At the least 6-8 hours of grading on Saturday and Sunday each = about 80 hours a week.

Even with the time off I think she ends up working an average of 60 hours a week FOR THE WHOLE YEAR!.

But the awesome pay and BS attitudes from kids and faculty more then make up for it.

2 people like this.
  7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

We have to talk about the value of some of the things learned.
    How important is graphing . . when a Calculator can do it for you?
    I think it is important but most may not.

Honestly. I think they should incorporate MORE SHOP CLASSES
    and MORE HOME EC. I think the biggest issue with kids to day
    is not so much them missing out on HIGH END of education
    [Computers, Calculus and Physics]
    but
    Missing the LOW END of education
    [Make your bed, cook, clean, change the oil on a car,
    change tire.]
    Some of them [us] seem to fricking HELPLESS with some basic life skills.

Rocket River

8. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Yeah, same here on some of those. Didn't have a computer until about 16 and no internet connection until about 18. Texting at about 19.

I think everyone learns differently. I don't think they can say with certainty that a student wouldn't benefit from using a computer. The problem with computers is how easily they can go from being learning tools to "toys". They introduce computers to students that are loaded with games and an internet connection and that's just a distraction at an early age. I don't think I'd want elementary-aged kids using it frequently or even at all. Let them establish a foundation without it first. I would hold off until about 8th grade. Or maybe 5th-6th grade if you start them off with computers that are stripped of entertainment.

9. Yao11

Yao11 Member

It's not a bad concept, but at a certain age/grade kids are gonna have to start to learn basic computer skills. My dad frowned on using calculators for math help when I was growing up and didn't allow one to be used until I started taking algebra in eighth grade. My middle school required seventh/eighth graders to take a keyboarding class before being able to go into high school.

I'm basically a firm believer that kids should be able to learn early on without the help of technology until they really have to.

10. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i see I didnt really answer the question either...

I would only send them to that school for their elementary years and switch them out at about 6th or 7th grade. I know i could teach them basic skills at home at that point or they would pick them up on their own, but i'd want them to have formal education on computer hardware and software earlier than high school. That's something that a lot of kids don't pick up or try to learn. How will they know how to pick out computer without it? How to troubleshoot basic problems?

11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hell no... Evolve...

12. liljojo

liljojo Member

Skills I wish school would have taught me:
    Wookworking, Basic Electronics, Cooking, Automechanical stuff.

13. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

I'm glad my nephews have limited amount of computer skills. Or else they would be enabling the search settings. I mean they even have a hard time using a mouse and accidentally deleting and moving stuff around. I think a tablet is the best tools for the younger kids to start off.

14. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Kids love iPads. True story.

15. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

Yes iTroll. Kids love anything with touchscreen.

16. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

We already fuched up and consequences will never be the same.

Our 3 year old fires up the Ipad, swipes 'er over, and plays the angry birds.

Their world will not be like mine was. Though we did get color TV when I was 3. It was only on NBC, on Sunday night though.

17. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

It's ridiculous to preclude any potential tools from your child's education.

I'm starting to believe that public education has it all wrong. Teaching kids in groups of X amounts based on their age is a ridiculous way to sort them out. I think personality profiling and aptitude testing would help tremendously in placing children in the optimum environment.

Check this out:

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zDZFcDGpL4U?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zDZFcDGpL4U?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

1 person likes this.
  19. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Hells yeah Dewey Decimal System FTW!!!:grin:

It still blows my mind that when I was in high school just 12 years ago you had a choice of microfiche, encyclopedias, and a dictionary.

Can you imagine doing a school report now without the internet based resources at our disposal?

Or heck can you imagine handwriting instead of typing up that report?!

20. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

our image:

they learn multiple os programs, video editing skills, programming, etc.

actual learning:

they learn to clear web history, cyber bully, and shove remotes up their butt when you cancel their wow.