1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Nintendo DS] Yes or No?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by omair, Mar 14, 2006.

Tags:
  1. omair

omair Contributing Member

I was gonna get my 7 year old brother a Nintendo DS today. Does anyone have it who can recommend it and recommend some good games for it?
    Thanks alot

2. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I don't have one, but I'd strongly recommend it. Some games to get would be Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Nintendogs, Advance Wars DS, Age of Empires, Mario 64 DS and maybe the upcoming Metroid Prime Hunters (just to name a few off the top of my head).

I should note that the DS Lite might be coming to the US later this year in case that might affect your decision.

3. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Anything having to do with Mario Kart...

4. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Got one for my stepson for his birthday a month and a half ago. He loves it and hasn't put it down since. What little I have played it I have enjoyed it, but I'm not a huge hand held kinda guy. The wireless feature is neat, though.

5. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Great system, lot of fun, traditional stuff along with odd little games that make use of the touch screen features, free online play.

But yeah, there is the DS Lite also coming down the line, but that's really if the design suits you or not.

6. Xenochimera

Xenochimera Contributing Member

why not a PSP, you can watch movies, listen to music, and it has some sick games with amazing graphics.

7. Coach AI

I'd imagine because he doesn't want to spend 300 dollars on his little brother. PSP is great, but hardly the best option out there.

8. jondoe654

jondoe654 Member

It is definatly worth the buy (bought mine a couple months back). Mario Kart is tons of fun, especially with wifi and next week Metroid comes out. This summer New Super Mario Bros. comes out that returns to side scrolling goodness. Hopefully a Starfox game is on the way. True a psp has more to offer but, why pay that much money for a handheld system? unless you gots the money :p If you do buy one wait a few months for the DSlite. RC posted something about a tv extention as well as a web browser thats coming.

9. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

DS is better for younger kids too. Much better choices with games available.

10. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

While I'm pretty sure the Opera web browser will make it here, it sounded like the TV tuner will be a Japan-only thing. I forget the name, but it used a technology only available in Japan in order to watch TV on the DS; that technology isn't available here in the US, so I doubt it will find its way to US shores (at least in its current form).

11. omair

omair Contributing Member

Thanks guys, I got him the DS from circuit city and i got a free case and car charger with it.

12. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Get him a gizmondo...

Nintendogs is pretty strong.

13. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

The games suck. He would love Lumines, but I think thats about it.

14. Like A Breath

Like A Breath Member

Warioware: Touched! is an extremely simple and fun game. That's the first one you should get. It's basically a series of 3 second minigames that tests your reflexes.

15. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

If he does that I won't hesitate to turn him in to Child Protective Services.

:D

16. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

In stores, I always laugh when I see the PSP movies in the DVD section. Like THAT format will last long... who buys that crap?

17. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Whatever you do, don't get Meteos. The game is fun when starting out, but when the pieces start falling fast, all you really have to do is slide the stylus up and down the screen really fast and you start racking up combos without really having to think about it. It kinda takes the fun out of the game...

18. Coach AI

That's not true at all. It may save your ass for a few seconds, but it's hardly the meat of the game and it won't keep you alive for long. I thought it was really well done.

19. tested911

tested911 Member

Great Handheld.. My kids love it.

20. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

I played for a good 20 minutes by doing just that...