1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nikola Jokic thinks Silas should run more offense through Alperen Sengun

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Le$$, Nov 29, 2022.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

passes the eye test

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sengun isn't Hakeem and it's not the mid 90's.

That those two facts collapse your entire argument

jiggyfly likes this.
  3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Like I said before, the best offensive system is a system of multiple angles of attack.

Though I do believe our base offensive system should revolve around the Green/Alpi pnr as the fall back play. Usually good things happen from that.

4. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

This is the essence of it. Bobby, apache and some other guys do not have any interest in having an actual conversation, talking about basketball. No need to feed them. I know by experience it is hard to do but just remind yourself:

Bobby when KPJ is heavily using the ball with no success and no willingness to share: KPJ will be an all-star, he should paid like x. Sengun must learn to fit with KPJ, actually we need a lob threat, rim protector. Bruno should play, sengun should earn his minutes. KPJ is turning the ball over too often but poor guy is playing with scrubs and that will improve, he just started learning pg. He makes 6 assists per game, that is great playmaking.

Bobby when Sengun is just starting to use the ball with huge success: Sengun cannot be the only playmaker, it will be too predictable. He turns the ball over too much relative to his assists(which is out of context since Sengun is not really put in positions to make assists, he can easily put Jokic type assist numbers if the team plays for that, and for some reason KPJ in his 4th year whose turnover numbers have never improved should be expected to improve in turnovers but Sengun who is constantly improving should be treated as 'no improvement is possible'). Sengun's style is not effective(yeah, right!)

And as many others have mentioned, Sengun has no interest in being the guy that does not share the ball and that's part of why a lot of us, Sengun fans, like him. To the contrary KPJ, who is bobby's favorite player, has shown time and time again that he would not share the ball unless forced to. But it is sengun 'being the only guy running the offense' that needs to be discussed, yeah right!

Overall Sengun discussion in the forum is very good and going back and forth with these clowns, is just a waste of time, that keeps us from actual discussion. They will just keep twisting things until they have no place to hide, where the final resort is 'I love the rockets, you are a Sengun only fan'.

The funny thing, even the most far-fetched ridiculous takes from some of 'Sengun only fans' are turning out to be closer to reality than the anti-Sengun crowd's takes.

Bobby! No food for you here. Go somewhere else.

5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Why should there be a thread on what somebody did in a half of basketball.

Man, y'all are way too thirsty.

6. O-dawg

O-dawg Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm hoping (pretty sure) the coaching staff has these numbers, but would love for some of the statisticians here at Clutchfans to crunch the numbers on the Rockets most successful offensive plays. My perception is that it's some flavor of the PNR or DHO, but could be wrong.

Point being that in both of those sets Sengun is involved in most cases (when he is on the floor). It's not like when he's out there he's not involved or just standing around. I think what some fans want are constant post-ups (even saw some nonsense about using Sengun like Luka).

I'm fine with how Sengun is being utilized and have been happy with his development. I just want more movement period. Weak side screens to the basket, quicker and more efficient use of screens, and quicker decision making from our ball handlers.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Says the guy who gets snippy when anything he considers negative is said about Sengun.

Look in the mirror my guy.

8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

My BBS experience improved greatly when I finally gave in and put a few people on ignore.

9. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

There might be a few posters, posts suggesting these. But mostly what I see is people being angry at the guards to pass on the opportunity to post Sengun up even when he has a mismatch, or not posting Sengun up once for a whole half, or generally that KPJ dribbling the ball into bad shots preferred to sengun post-ups. It is mostly posters who want to make an argument against Sengun, blaming 'Sengun only fans' of wanting Sengun to constantly post up, by taking a few posts here and there out of proportion.

You are spot on with the last paragraph. If the ball moves more, Sengun will have much better scoring and passing opportunities than solely posting up, especially when off-ball movement increases.

aaquaa, clutchdabear and cmoak1982 like this.
  10. O-dawg

Supporting Member

I've seen all of these and it frustrates the hell out of me too. Will add one more, not capitalizing on a player that has it going or has gotten hot. Feels like the only players we look for when they are hot is Garrison, EG (though not so much this year), and KPJ (by nature of the fact that he has the ball in his hands). Everyone else the ball just never seems to come back to them.

As far as the posters and their agendas... meh... still enough good Rockets (basketball) talk in here to keep me coming back, so I'm not complaining .. too much :D

11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

sengun may end up a better player tho...did you predict gsw becoming a dynasty?

did you predict yanis winning nba title with no 3 pt shot?

did you predict 38yr old cp3 getting to finals and almost winning it all?

did you predict he beating lebron and ad playing on one hand not even shooting 3 pointers?

did you predict jimmy butler beating embiied and harden?

did you IN YOUR WILDEST IMAGINATION predict butler getting twice to finals or near finals in 3 years with the trash teammates he had? and almost winning it all if not for injuries

youre not good at predictions then...

Ankara1923, aaquaa and DominantBig like this.
  12. O-dawg

Supporting Member

Outside the normal PNR and handoffs would love to see some of this action with the guards screening for bigs. Add in a few off ball cuts at the same time. Imagine a guard screening for Sengun with another guard forward getting a pick from the opposite side. Would give Sengun the option to score or draw defenders in for an easy pass.

Kill team with that a couple times then come back out to guards when opposing team starts to pack the lane. Everybody eats.

P.S. Apologies for posting any "j*zz" content in here. Hated that team, but still respect how potent their two man game was.

cmoak1982, aaquaa and AlperenSengun like this.
  13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

whats wrong with constant postups?(or sengun being used like luka?)
    you sound like a a small man in a tiny little bubble...

if you get open 3 every time or your best player takes an uber efficient shot and puts opponents in foul trouble just do it...DONT OVERTHINK IT

BTW everybody should learn to post up..especially jalen green...it would unlock a ton of his potential.....its simple, easy and fun basketball...it expands your basketball horizons and allows your bb brain to grow...

you should also get on the bb court and try it sometimes because it seems bro like youre not balling much...

Ankara1923 and DominantBig like this.
  14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

Ankara1923 likes this.
  15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

but why?
    [​IMG]

Ankara1923 likes this.
  16. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

aaquaa likes this.
  17. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

Ankara1923 likes this.
  18. DominantBig

DominantBig Member

lol okay, imagine the Bucks running the Warriors system. They would never win a title. The same goes the other way. Systems are built off your best player. Warriors, guard shooting, and playmaking from Green, so lots of post-split, motion, and off-ball movement. Bucks- the gravity Giannis creates, downhill motion, kick out to shooters. I mean, the warriors have one of the most balanced offensive systems when it comes to creating shot opportunities all over the floor, and that system would be a huge failure with a team like the Lakers or Bucks because it doesn't fit the best player on those teams. It's genuinely not difficult to understand systems and the benefit of playing to one's strength. Disagree on the system is one thing, but you just have a lack of understanding of what coaching to your personnel's strength is.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

passes my brain test...not even watching games or reading a lot of stats...just being smart and experienced in general, and picking up bits and pieces from forum, gamethreads etc...

20. CircaSurvive

CircaSurvive Member

Yeah well that's just your opinion Mr. Jokic I think I'll leave it to the experts here on Clutchfans that actually know ball.