1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nikola Jokic thinks Silas should run more offense through Alperen Sengun

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Le$$, Nov 29, 2022.

1. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Silas claim to fame is his name and stealing credit from a championship coach for the development of Luka. If you look at the Pacers that coach seems to have a knack for developing young players especially point guards.

2. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

2 MVP awards. So he knows a lot more about basketball than you do.

clutchdabear, PeterKingX and aaquaa like this.
  3. Garner

Garner Member

to be clear, you don’t need two MVPs to know more than me

clutchdabear, Jontro and aaquaa like this.
  4. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

It's mostly the racist fans, but green fans aren't particularly bright either.

Rinaldi and aaquaa like this.
  5. MystikArkitect

There was an article written recently in a Minnesota paper about how analytics has essentially ruined a lot of industries. Cited basketball and its 3 or bust mentality or baseball and it's now seemingly robotic nature of preferring certain types of hits/batters. Also talked about movies and how we've gotten to a point where we only get superhero movies and scary movies now. Bagwell came out and said that the Astros need to start weening off of the analytics and go for a more hybrid approach, which I think is ultimately the answer. It's true. Basketball has become a chore to watch at times. It's sad coming from someone who watched the kings of analytics ball (Harden Iso Rockets). But I'm pretty much fed up with it as well.

Baseball changed the shift rules. I think it's time basketball started looking at the 3.

6. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

When you say Green fans do you mean like people who like Green? Wouldn't that be most Rocket fans?

Anyways I don't get the fixation with having a single player an offense revolves around. That just makes things extremely predictable and eventually easily ganeplanned for. We have talent on this team outside of Sengun that can collapse and break down defenses even better in Green but Green is requiring more polish in making the right reads. This team deserves different points of attack. Both Sengun and Green need to work on their passing and turnover efficiency. Sengun doesn't even have more assists than turnovers.

And who are the racist fans? Can you name them and have you reported them? We don't tolerate racism here and if you can provide the specific examples so we can report it, that would be great.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  7. Jontro

Jontro Member

oh shiii is jokic finna be our next coach??

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So then your plan is to tank until we luck into drafting a LeBron caliber player? Smart.

9. DominantBig

DominantBig Member

You are a negative to any discussion. I just started posting after lurking for years, and already want to put you on ignore. The coach should coach and devise a system that puts players in the best position to succeed. Your basic interpretation of Jokic and their system shows how ignorant you are of basketball. Not to mention a severe lack of understanding of what a system built to the strengths of your best player looks like and why it succeeds.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So is that a yes then? Tank till they luck into a LeBron?

That has to be what you're advocating for because that's the only way running a system based around a single player can work and apparently that's the kind of system you want.

Any halfway intelligent person would see that the Rockets don't have any player like that now and that a different system that isn't centered on any one player would be best for team success. A type of system that would spread the offensive burden to several players to keep defenses guessing and create more quality looks for everyone... of course player first or player only fans typically aren't very bright and I suspect that's the disconnect here.

11. conquistador#11

The picture made me laugh

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Crazy how that works. A big part of why that is the case is due to how terrible Jabari Smith has been thus far.

Now, he's super young, so it's not THAT surprising that he's struggling early, but there's no denying the fact that he's been a bit of an anchor around the neck of pretty much any lineup he's been in thus far. The team will look a lot better once he turns things around.

13. aaquaa

aaquaa Member

I think you're misinterpreting this. Nobody's calling for a heliocentric system with most of the ball handling and scoring's done by one player.
    The suggestion is to let Alpi be the decision maker and ball distributor generally, not be a ball hog.
    You say this would be predictable even though any offense starts with someone handling the ball. :)
    Driving, shooting, passing to any of the 4 teammates makes 6 possibilities that an Alpi touch creates.
    Add to this other plays that exclude Alpi, like taking advantage of open looks or lanes... The possibilities are still endless.
    There's only one difference from whatever you prefer: the distributor being Alpi. I believe he deserves it because he has the best court vision on the roster.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If you're running it through Sengun every time down the court, that's running things through one player and it's incredibly predictable. Is Sengun one of the players you'd run the ball through? Of course, but you have Green and KPJ too. As of right now, Sengun is more likely to turn the ball over than to get an assist. Now his assists are flashy and fun to see, but putting more of the burden on him when his numbers are already bad isn't the best idea.....especially now that Green's passing game is starting to come along.

They'll need to find a balance that works between KPJ, Green, and Sengun, if done right, it should make the offense really hard to stop. This is currently a team with no superstars, they need to play as a team to overcome that and that means sharing the burden of creating offense, not running things through one player.

15. MystikArkitect

Jesus Christ this. I actually prefer that Sengun is a slightly worse Jokic because it won't make us another heliocentric team. Luka/Jokic/Harden ball is great for highlights and TNT ratings but it doesn't work. I don't mind Sengun being our *best* option when creating (someone has to be) but we need Jalen and KPJ (or Amen/Scoot if we get the 2/3 pick) to also be capable creators. Sengun can't be on the floor 48 minutes and even if he could, teams would just scheme around him. Especially in the playoffs.

Right now the offense works best through Sengun, imo, but having that be our whole offense like the Nuggets do with Jokic is doomed to fail.

Dobbizzle and DominantBig like this.
  16. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

plus best decision making and willingness to quickly give up the ball...our guards guards love to ballhog and give up ball hard, ending up in fancy dribbling aimlesly and forcing bad shots... not sure if i ever saw alpi taking a bad shot or dribbling unneceassary...hes sooo natural at playmaking man.. its BEAUTIFUL...it comes to him easily and effortlessly...while other people have to force it, work on it, put effort into it...its an uphill struggle for them...
    ALPI IS A NATURAL PG

clutchdabear, DominantBig and aaquaa like this.
  17. DominantBig

DominantBig Member

Not worth the back and forth with Bobby, but you other guys get it. How many times does the best player with the best decision making get the ball, and then create better opportunities for the other players even without being selfish or trying to score. No one has ever said every possession of every game sengun should be the main option. But Sengun touch the ball on most possessions has allowed the best shots to be taken more often than not. Also, Rockets fan since I have memories. Being a rockets fan doesn’t mean blind loyalty and never criticism to the team when they’re making mistakes.

Joe Rocket, aaquaa and clutchdabear like this.
  18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It works best with Sengun involved, but not necessarily when run through Sengun. As I pointed out, he's statistically more likely to turn the ball over than to get an assist.

The offense should be run through the 3 of them, constantly mixing up what they are trying to do each time down the court. Sengun will likely improve and cut down on his turnovers eventually just as Green will continue to improve and be able to step into more of a combo guard role.

When all 3 are able to consistently pull their weight, the offense will be set.

19. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

But I can still watch "Moneyball" over..........and over........and over..........and over again, right?

20. DominantBig

DominantBig Member

Obviously it's best when multiple players are playing well... and can carry the load at different times... but we're discussing systems. Imagine the back to back Rockets championships if Rudy said, ya Hakeem is our star and best player, but lets not run a system that's designed to be run through him and to shine his abilities the best.... It's stupid. The beauty of players like Sengun and Jokic, their skillset and the systems that they do best in are designed to elevate every player's game. You're confusing (choosing to confuse to try and appear intelligent....) running a system through a player with a player being the system. Harden's rockets, Luka's Mavs currently, at times those systems simply hope that the player beats his matchup and scores or assists every time down the court. It's horrible to watch. At the same time, while I don't believe so, those coaches cleary believe that gives them the best chance to win. An offensive system where you use your best playmaker's ability to set up other players for THEIR best ability isn't ball-dominant.

aaquaa and clutchdabear like this.