1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nikki Haley for President

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by basso, Feb 1, 2023.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Member

Like vivek... you can't believe what she says...

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  2. basso

basso Member
    Supporting Member

#122 basso, Oct 22, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2023
  3. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

4. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Member

I agree with the premise, and I think she is a candidate the gop could get behind, I prefer Christi over her but the point the OP s making is a strong case to not repeat what happened in 2016. At least get it down to the top 3 and let them get some backing behind them and see where they stack rank. IMO at this point the only thing that keeps trump from being the nominee is if he found guilty in one of his cases (I prefer the documents case) and the gop has no choice but to not back him, and to be honest I am not sure if that would even sway them, one thing is for sure he will not lose his base, dude will have more commissary money than anyone else............but seriously, if they go down this road again I think Biden barely beat trump but a moderate like Haley or Christi could push them over the finish line. Ron D seems to have lost his mojo and Viv is too far right and comes off as a kook at times.

The wild card to me is a person like RFK JR.............is that a serious threat and to whom will he siphon votes from

5. No Worries

No Worries Member

These "moderates" would appoint more Federalist judges to the USSC (and lower courts), so we can deduce by that that they may say they are not for a complete abortion ban but their actions say differently.

Since Roe v Wade has been overturned, the Rs are getting their ass handed to them in elections.

ROCKSS likes this.
  6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

No way will Ron DeSantis clear the floor for Nikki Haley. Even if he can't beat Trump in 2024, he'll want to be situated to be the heir apparent in 2028. If he bows out, he has to be betting on Haley crashing and burning. Ramaswamy will probably go back to being a parasite on society after he's eliminated, but I don't see him agreeing that Haley is a better alternative to Trump than he is until the voters tell him so. Some of the lesser lights (who, perhaps not coincidentally, are not the extreme narcissists that the leaders in the race are) might quit earlier than they would have otherwise for this consideration, but it won't be coming down to a two-man race.

7. basso

basso Member
    Supporting Member

Obama was a narcissist/. it's almost a prerequisite for seeking the job.

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

He also didn't stand aside and let Hilary Clinton have her turn.

9. basso

basso Member
    Supporting Member

10. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Member
    Supporting Member

Remember when wonderkid Vivek was getting airtime for saying that the US should stop supporting Israel.

ROCKSS and adoo like this.
  11. basso

basso Member
    Supporting Member

Vivek is an interesting guy, but he's not a serious contender. there are only three of the latter, Haley, RDS, and he shall not be named. we'll start to find out in a few months whether the first two have what it takes to challenge the latter.

12. dobro1229

dobro1229 Member

I would say she’s the best candidate to beat Biden. Everyone else will be classified as anti-democracy and the threat will drive a lot of swing voters to look at Biden as the lesser of two evils and the progressives to wisen up that a vote third party to virtue signal is too hefty a price to pay.

Haley represents an opportunity for the progressives to virtue vote and it not mean that we lose our democracy for a generation. Republicans are idiots to vote for Trump yet again in the primary when he’s the best chance at unifying the left and the middle.

That’s why right wing billionaires like Harland Crow are funding third party clowns because they know Trump and the Republicans are screwed unless they get the vote split on the left.

mtbrays and basso like this.
  13. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Member

The one thing Haley has going for her is that she would be a soft landing spot for independent thinkers who won't vote for trump or a trump light and would like to see a change under Biden. I personally think Biden has done some great things and the only reason I would look elsewhere is his age and I want SOMEONE to stop talking about the border issues and actually work to fix it and stop using it as a political "gotcha" moment. She is not perfect in any stretch, but she seems "reasonable" compared to the maga extremists. I really, really, really want the Dems to give us another option but they missed the boat and that's one thing that pisses me off about them.

14. mtbrays

mtbrays Member
    Supporting Member

I actually agree that Haley could beat Biden. Biden's biggest chance at reelection is Trump being the nominee; people hate Trump (and it's very funny that Republicans voters don't get this after three straight electoral losses where Trump was the issue) and will vote against him, not for Biden. I'd vote for a bull frog if it were running against Trump.

Haley would bring back Republican-leaning women who are repulsed by Trump and dampen Democratic enthusiasm. I'd say it's crazy that GOP voters don't see this, but most of them are now members of a personality cult that stands for nothing other than vengeance and ego.

ROCKSS likes this.
  15. CCorn

CCorn Member

Even if he, who shall not be named, is in jail, he will still be the nominee.

16. No Worries

No Worries Member

Haley would only appoint Federalist Society approved judges to the USSC (and lower courts), so previous marginal R voting women are likely going to vote the D ticket ... for many years to come.

It is just not abortion. It is the full SCW agenda: contraception ban, gay marriage/sex ban, interracial marriage, etc.

Overturning Roe was a watershed moment. It may take the Rs a handful of election cycles to figure this out.

mtbrays likes this.
  17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Member

Serious question:

Are your issues with Biden serious enough to you that you’d use your vote to endorse the overturning of democracy which is exactly what will happen if Trump comes into power?

Just to me in the context of a criminal autocrat coming into power, the complaints about how Biden is old or the issues with the border which have more to do with Central America than anything any administration has done in the past 20 years.. seem pretty minuscule to me in contrast with the end of the Republic as we know it.

That’s the problem with the Republicans obsession with praying to the alter of Trump. You can’t even really get into any issues at any depth because of what’s at stake… and because that’s what’s at stake it forces the opposition to the autocrat to take no political risks at all (which in this case would be Biden stepping aside to let a younger generation and an open primary happen). I get it... we all want, and should always ask for more with our political leaders. Especially the president. I want to discuss and have Congress create a sweeping bi-partisan overhaul of our immigration system... but that's just not the reality right now with what we are dealing with. The Republican party right now just cannot be reasoned with. It's actually a miracle that Biden got as much done in a bi-partisan fashion that he did given the climate, and the cult that the GOP has become.

People keep asking why the Democrats don’t have an open primary because Joe Biden is old and I think the answer is pretty clear.. it would be a significant risk to take given the stakes and the grass always looks greener until you actually get on the other guys lawn and find that there’s a sink hole in his yard. Biden has done a fantastic job up until now, the economy under him has been really good, he's currently healthy as you can be at his age, he's vetted, he has the relationships, he has a great team around him, and he has the fire in his belly still it seems.

The party and most Democratic voters just do not see the upside in the risk just to appease folks who are obviously not Democrats anyways and will jump back into the Trump ship at the first chance, or will vote for him and lie about it in public.

If a voter is someone who will actually vote for Trump over Biden because Biden is too old for them when literally the fate of the Republic is at risk, then they were NEVER going to vote for Biden anyways, and obviously just wanted any reason they could find to vote for Trump anyways.

#137 dobro1229, Oct 27, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2023
  18. mtbrays

mtbrays Member
    Supporting Member

I want to agree with you and I do think some of those suburban women voters may have been moved to vote Democratic after Roe. But, I also think that Trump is a uniquely distasteful figure who turns off a lot of squishy voters who would otherwise vote for a "presentable" Republican.

No Worries likes this.
  19. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Member

I would never vote for trump, I would vote for a ham sandwich first. As I said, Biden has done some awesome things, does his age worry me, sure it does but not enough to vote for a narcissistic wanna be dictator.

I do think that the Dems should be getting a few future nominees ready in the wing.

20. basso

basso Member
    Supporting Member

what is SCW? no one is banning contraception, gay marriage/sex, interracial marriage. my god, Thomas is married to a white woman.