1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nikki Haley for President

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by basso, Feb 1, 2023.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yet she isn't running as a Democrat. To my knowledge has never run as a Democrat. I've critcized Nikki Haley for being all things to all people in the Republican party but it's clear she is a Republican and has some core beliefs that align with the Republican party and not the Democratic party.
    Except that your arguments.is ignoring the fundamental differences between the parties and the candidates. Yes both Trump and Biden have some big flaws. Both have some similarities too. That doesn't mean there is no difference between them. It's again the reflexive cynicism that is based upon a low information argument of only looking at the similarities without the differences.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  2. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

If you think both parties are the same, then you're not half as smart as you think you are.................you are such a hypocrite. "I don't like either candidate so I am just going to sit back and b**** about one side and not ever call out the gop for the complete trash and lies they put out 24/7...............if you don't vote, you dont get to complain.............you talk about principals the way MTG talks about jewish space lasers......you are a fraud sir

3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

No disrespect for service dogs that rescue people. :)

My dog (which was rescued from the pound, not a dog that rescues people) is old, poops and pukes in the house on occasion, and has the worst gas imaginable. And yet, I'd vote for her before trump. Thanks for the opportunity to clarify.

JuanValdez likes this.
  4. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Why do you continue to support a party that puts someone up like Biden and to a lesser extent, Hillary? That is my question. A low informed voter will say "because we can't have Trump". Your party continues to insult you and you take it with a smile and remain fully committed.

I ask the same of people who support Republicans. There was a time I supported DeSantis, but that changed when he changed FL law to allow him to remain gov. while running for president. I didn't go down with the ship.

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  5. Space Ghost

I have repeatedly said the Republicans are utter trash and the party is so ****ed that trying to have any meaningful conversation with them is pointless. I have also said the Republicans are the obstructionist party and will do whatever it takes to stop any progress of anything.

However unlike you, I am not politically charged and blindly support the other side I disagree with. As I said, your party continues to insult you by putting Biden on the ticket. And you lap it up like a good obedient dog.

How far do you really want to break down the differences of the parties? I stopped at the part when I realized both sides are self service jackasses who are more interested in party over country. Biden is proof of that. The man literally has said he does not want to be president. He instills no confidence.

6. NewRoxFan

American has never been in a more dangerous place with a candidate so corrupt, criminal, anti-rule of law and anti-democracy. trump is worse that nixon in that regard. So "we can't have trump" is an extremely valid position. If you don't agree, that speaks more about your own morals, ethics, integrity, and patriotism.

It really is a binary choice. If the Democrat party ran Kamala Harris, Gretchen Whitmer, or Gavin Newsom I would vote for them. But they are running Joe Biden, so its still an easy choice. You seem to struggle with your choice. I don't. You can criticize me for being fully committed to the Democrat party. Fine, I am still making sure trump doesn't become president. Only in the privacy of the voting booth can you answer that same question.

The very fact that trump is far and away the leading republican candidate. That the republican congressman bend to his will, despite their own feelings about legislation in front of them. That everyone knows what he intends to do should he win ("I will be a dictator for a day"). Blaming Democrats is insane.

ROCKSS and rocketsjudoka like this.
  7. Space Ghost

Bruh, its like the civil war never happened. This country has faced multiple constitutional crisis's and I will reassure you Trump doesn't register. These extremist comments (never been in a more dangerous place) only illustrates how far you are separated from reality. If this country survived the Civil War, it can survive a bumbling idiot in office.

But of course, you're still missing my point. Trump didn't appoint mush-brain as the democratic nominee. Your stupid party and its voters did. Democrats think they are better than everyone else and I am telling them they can do better than Biden. You are literally arguing with me that they can't. Which is really sad.

8. NewRoxFan

While I am pretty old, I didn't live during the Civil War. But it is telling that you have to go back to the Civil War, a period where the country was literally torn apart and Americans took up arms against each other to find a more dangerous time presented by a more dangerous leader.

You seem to want to defend trump as being only a bumbling idiot. He raped someone. He is guilty of fraud. He incited a violent insurrection (or "riot" if as a trump defender you prefer to call it). He called upon his VP to overturn a democratic election. He called on states to overturn an election. He refused aid to an ally unless they produced dirt on his opponent. He stated he will be a dictator for a day. Those aren't just being an bumbling idiot. Those are criminal, anti-democracy and anti rule of law actions.

You keep wanting to blame trump on Democrats. Yet trump is the overwhelming choice of republicans. He was in 2016. He was again in 2020. And he is again now. As long as that continues, "mush brain" is the better choice. It really is a binary choice, Biden, or trump.

9. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Biden has passed several pieces of legislation that I strongly support. He passed multiple infrastructure bills. He has passed bills increasing manufacturing in the US. While I don’t agree with everything he has done foreign policy wise I agree with his stances in Ukraine and on Taiwan. So while yes I would support a toaster over Trump who has in word and deed tried to undermine the Constitution Biden policy wise has done a lot that I support.
    If thats the only thing that would make you not support DeSantis you aren’t as non partisan as you claim to be.

10. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

The Civil War was a disaster for the country. About 2% of the population died directly in fighting. Major sections of the country were physically and economically devastated that took decades to recover from. Some like Richmond never ended up being as important as they were before. As we should well known the Civil war still divides us to this day.

Also the country isn’t the same as it was in 1860. The potential damage that can be wrought by either a civil war and or an authoritarian are much greater now than they were then.
    And Republicans could run someone besides Trump. I’m in the record as saying. I agree with Dean Phillips that this shouldn’t just be a coronation of Biden. Or Trump. Unfortunately that is the direction that things are heading and barring something very unusual one of them is going to be the next President.

as stated I would support the one that has not said or tried to undermine the constitution but even besides that Biden has gotten a lot of legislation I agree with passed.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  11. NewRoxFan

Meanwhile... melanie is away counting the days before he prenup expires...

btw haley's husband is currently deployed in Africa with the South Carolina National Guard. Of course bone spurs hates the military.

ROCKSS likes this.
  12. NewRoxFan

13. NewRoxFan

Yet nikki says she'd support trump for president

ROCKSS and No Worries like this.
  14. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

They showcase the alternative (boogie man) in the corner, and as a result do whatever the **** they want to their constituents. Whenever the constituents protest they go "put up with it because the alternative is that guy"

I at least respect the michigan arab constituents who aren't just shrugging biden off or voting for trump, they are actively boycotting biden and the dems for thinking they'll get over their grievances.

15. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Accept that you do have to consider the alternatives. Whether you chose to vote or not most likely either Biden or Trump will be President next terms that could have profound implications on this country and even your life. Just saying you’re above it all won’t change if there is a president that undermines Constitutional norms.
    The Arab community in MI has the right to not vote for Biden or anyone. This a a perfect example though about their actions have a consequences. If Biden lose MI and Trump wins because of MI’s electoral votes do they think that things will be better for the Palestinians under a Trump Presidency?

Trump is the same man who tried to have a blanket Muslim ban. The only thing that stopped him was the courts. He’s said himself that in a second term he won’t let things
    Like that stop him.

No Worries likes this.
  16. NewRoxFan

17. NewRoxFan

haley seems to finally get what she is up against... but, she says she will still support him in November.

No Worries likes this.
  18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

To add: Critics of Biden's lock on the candidacy talk about Democrats as a monolith. The truth is that a handful of key Democratic political leaders made personal decisions to not run against him. Newsom won't, Whitmer won't. Not even Mayor Pete. You can be critical of Biden for not stepping aside, you can be critical of Newsom for not choosing to challenge him, but you can't really blame the Democratic base for looking at Biden vs. Dean Phillips vs Marianne Williamson and deciding that Biden is the best available option. Of those people running, he is the only one who can win. So I reject the criticism that 'we' chose Biden. We ended up with Biden just like Republicans had ended up with Trump in 2016.

I can respect a boycott. Political accountability needs to be enforced sometimes. My wife will probably be doing exactly that. For me though, my singular issue is American Fascism. In that lens, voting for Biden may give a pass for genocide, but voting for anyone else, even Dean Phillips, is a vote for American Fascism. Meanwhile my wife may decide she'd sooner accept fascism than complicity in a genocide. Picking an American president isn't so much a choice as it is the dynamic result of a complicated algorithm.

19. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Biden wasn’t just given the presidency or even the Democratic nomination in 2020. This time in 2020 he was lagging badly in delegates as he lost both IA and NH badly. It was only SC that suddenly turned things around. In this year it doesn’t seem like any other major Democrat can bring together the disparate parts if the party or even want to run.

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I disagree. The GOP threw the book at Trump to derail his primary campaigns but he persisted as an FU vote against "more of the same" establishment types like Rubio, "please clap" Bush, or lindsay graham. Lyin Ted Cruz was Trump's biggest primary challenger and was the Tea Party and Steve Bannon's orignal annoited.

It was the GOP establishment that folded against Trump in 2016 by the eventual wave of his landslide primary victories, not the other way around

The irony of Trump tapping into a base that never voted with MAGA was that his run was one of the most democratic and unpredictable out of the money wins against centuries old party machines.