1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nik Stauskas and Wade Baldwin to the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HorryForThree, Feb 6, 2019.

1. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

Can they able to shoot 3 or guard durrant

True Rocket and ramotadab like this.
  2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Damn, that throws a wrench into that idea then. Moving Nene will be tough, we'd probably have to attach two distant future 2nds to get Dallas to bite on taking him for a buyout, even then I'm not sure they'd do it as Nene's owed 7.6 mill and the Mavs will likely try to open up a max for this off season.

If we trade Nene for a player making under 2.8 mill, we could dip below the tax but we wouldn't be able to bring House back this season which sucks.

3. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I hate to be the bearer of bad news …. This was a cost cutting move for now and later.

That Knight Contract was our financial freedom for next year being an expiring. It let you trade for a player(s) making between $12.7m and $18.87m.

Now - being over the cap how do you acquire a player in that price range ? You Don't. Its another roster spot filled by a Min contract. Shumpert , Baldwin & Stauskus are ALL expiring and NONE of them are likely to be resigned.

This was a salary dump at the expense of next years financial ability to take on any significant salary.

You wait it out and you can turn Knight those picks used in this trade into a quality long term player instead of a half year rental of … not much.

They'll go into next offseason with Rivers , Faried , Shumpert , Stauskus and Baldwin all free agents. Only early bird rights on Rivers or Faried and I don't know if either will sign for 120% of the minimum. You'll have the MLE with a value of $9.07m.

Where's this "financial freedom" you were talking about ?!

Hell , we'd be better off not having made the Ryno trade , still having Melton , a first and second round pick going into next season and being able to move Ryno (and picks / players) for an incoming salary between $17.23m and $25.6m.

As it stands now - that'll be at least 4 more (in addition to Ennis , Green , Clark , Hartenstein) spots filled by Vet Min contracts. So much for financial freedom.

[​IMG]

4. Stepback3GOOD

Stepback3GOOD Member

looks like the colors in toyota center dont affect his shooting like what tmac complained about back in the day. Reminds me a of a poor mans b-roy

ramotadab and D-rock like this.
  5. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

At least we have scrubs for garbage time now.

JuNx, chadyang and hakeem94 like this.
  6. Stepback3GOOD

Stepback3GOOD Member

if we release nik or baldwin, watch okc scoop them up

ramotadab likes this.
  7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

We got Wade Baldwin IV because Tilman is too cheap to pay for any of the fist 3 Wade Baldwins.

8. Reeko

Reeko Member

2 more scrubs added to the roster, I can hardly contain my excitement

poor Harden

harold bingo, chadyang and jerryclark like this.
  9. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Shumpert's an expiring - Do you see him being resigned in the offseason - Don't know if they have Bird rights on him but they would have early bird so they could resign him if they wanted to …. I just don't know that they will ??

Baldwin will also be a free agent and definitely no full bird rights … early bird rights would cost you ~$1.85m. Do they resign him ?

I don't at all see them resigning Stauskus.

Then you have Rivers & Faried …. both far outplaying their contracts. Hard to believe either accepting 120% of their current min salaries with their play.
    You do have $9m in MLE money …. but using that on those players is just sanding pat , not getting better.

What about House ?!

snowconeman22 and Dubious like this.
  10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

11. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Only way it makes sense is if they are flipped for nothing.

12. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Nik has that Ryan Anderson long range 3, to space the floor, he plays a little like Gordon Hayward, potential is there.
    Hopefully Mike uses him correctly, to stretch the floor so Harden can drive more easily to the basket.

13. Fantasma Negro

I would trade him to new Orleans for Darius Miller

14. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

You forget Ryan Anderson allowed his final year to be non guaranteed when we traded him to Phoenix.
    That’s $21 million that we would be handcuffed to right now. Miami doesn’t trade for him right now if his contract
    was still guaranteed for next year. It would take more than what was traded for yesterday.

Ryan Anderson money took up 2 to 4 roster spots and is unplayable for a contender.
    At least there was a chance Knight could have come back from injury this year and been serviceable....well he
    didn’t so now he gets traded and perhaps help the team that traded for him, next year. But for us (Rockets) we
    need that $15 mil being used on a player or 2 now (as we are in win now mode) and off our books by this summer.

Morey always (his M.O.) has some room to wrangle in the summer for a free agent. Add up Shumpert, Nik Stuakas,
    and Wade Baldwin coming off the books by season’s end (all expiring contracts) and you have some financial freedom.
    And I don’t think Morey is done just yet. We shall be talking later today....and I will ask you how do you think
    the Rockets situation looks now? You are seeing an unfinished product.

Harden, Eric Gordon, Shumpert, Nick Staukas, GGreen, Rivers all play basically SG. This with probably Wes Matthews
    becoming available. I can see the Rockets clearing out some room here to add Matthews later.....thus clearing more
    “Financial Room.” You may see Eric Gordon moved. He was a no go until he was a go last night.
    Some people suspected Otto Porter coming to Houston because of what Tillman tweeted and then
    the Rockets pulled the trigger on their deal. I think it was Utah. EGo for expiring contracts of Korver
    and Royce O’Neale. Utah got cold feet thinking EGo was injured.....deal might still go thru since EGo
    looked ok last night, but who knows.

*Side note: internet chatter is Utah wants help for Mitchell. EGordon would definitely help space and
    drive to rim.

#114 ApacheWarrior, Feb 7, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  15. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

We would be doomed come playoff time. Are we still attempting to get to the finals? If we getting rid of Gordon we need an additional score smh.

16. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Dude thanks for the laugh. I had a genuine outburst and it felt good. (if you new what was going on in my life, you'd know how much I needed it)

17. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Whoever said Stauskas was unathletic is either full of it or knows something I don't. Kid have injury issues? Anyone know anything about Nik's defense?

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  18. JuNx

JuNx Contributing Member

Any indications of the Rox Waiving or trying to flip these guys or something? Perhaps they keep them until they see something in the buy out market (or Danuel House happens) and then they get waived.

19. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hell yeah I love this idea

20. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

You're being sarcastic right?