1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nigerian Scammer in Jail

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MR. MEOWGI, Jan 30, 2008.

1. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Don't breed if you can't feed. Mandatory birth control, please.

Judge sets bail at $275,000 in abandonment case

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5498569.html

By BRIAN ROGERS

Check out her welfare house:

[​IMG]

A judge this morning set bail at $275,000 for a mother accused of abandoning her children to go to Nigeria to marry a man she'd never met in person.

Shanell Monique Mosley began crying and her knees buckled in court as prosecutors read details of the roach-infested home and the physical condition her six children were found in days after she boarded a plane for Africa to meet and marry a man she had been talking to for more than a year online.

Mosley, 33, is charged with child endangerment and abandonment.

Defense attorney Emily DeToto said Mosley felt betrayed by her sister who promised to come to Houston to look after the children. Mosley's sister never made the trip from New Orleans, because she couldn't afford it, investigators said.

DeToto also said Mosley left a freezer full of food, three ATM cards with money on them and a car filed with gas. The trip, DeToto said, had been planned for a month beforehand.

"She loves her children," DeToto said. "She just wants to see them again."

Prosecutors, however, told a different story in court.

Assistant Harris County District Attorney John Jordan said investigators have learned that Mosley's six children, now in foster homes, were hungry and thirsty and some didn't know their own birth dates.

"The deputies who made the scene were horrified," Jordan said. "The 1-year-old was so malnourished, they could feel his ribs through his clothes when they picked him up."

When she left for Nigeria on Dec. 31, Mosley told her 15-year-old daughter that she would return in 30 to 60 days to their home in the 11000 block of Barker Grove Lane.

Mosley's children are ages 1, 7, 8, 9, 15 and 16, Jordan said. Investigators also found two other children found in the home — a 3-year-old and a 4-year-old the family cared for on behalf of a single father who worked, Jordan said.

No charges are pending for the father who may have thought he was just dropping his children with the babysitter, Jordan said.

Officials found a Lone Star food card, but it had a zero balance.

The 9-year-old son told authorities that he and the baby ate a still-frozen pizza for breakfast the morning they were discovered home alone.

There were no diapers, baby food or formula for the infant, no sheets on beds and fruit was rotting in a basket, Jordan said.

DeToto said Mosley worked as a baby-sitter. She also said there was no way Mosley would be able to make bond.

The family moved from New Orleans to Texas after Hurricane Katrina.

2. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

thats a nice house, some people get all the help they need, yet still manage to fk it up

3. rubytuesday

rubytuesday Contributing Member

just wanted to point out that no where in the article does it say SHE was nigerian. jsut because she was going to nigeria to marry a man there doesn't mean she is nigerian. plus i've been there and her name (not that this is 100% full proof) doesn't seem to fit the area.

still a pretty sick lady.

4. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

More crap leftover from Katrina.

5. MR. MEOWGI

It was a joke. She is a real American.

6. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

She works as a babysitter and can support(well, kind of) herself, six kids, and still has enough money to fly to Nigeria for a month or two?

7. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

she did leave them atm cards

8. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

BTW....where did you get the info on that being her house? Joke? Didn't see it on chron.com, and looked at the link to the pic.

Poor Houston, took in so much crap from N.O.

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Right. Because mom's from Houston don't leave their kids home alone while they go to Nigeria.

They simply drown them in their bathtub.

10. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Damn! I got the wrong degree, son!

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

there are two worse stories about about ill equipped parents and kids in houston. I'm curious as to why you chose this one. both the other two are about dead babies in your neck of the woods, both of those have gained alot more national attention.

12. MR. MEOWGI

13. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

This thread's title is disgusting and offensive.

The woman who is the subject of the story is neither Nigerian nor a scammer. As much as I hate scammers who give Nigeria a bad name, I also hate it when people try to slander my native country for no good reason.

14. MR. MEOWGI

Making a living off of taxes by making babies while in a $200,000 house is a lot more interesting.

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I would think people who throw babies away would be more troublesome but I think there are some other things you're trying to point out.

16. MR. MEOWGI

The fact that she was making a living off of taxes by making multitudes of babies while in a $200,000 house?

I'm not trying to point out anything at all.

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

where does it say she was paying for the home on welfare?

18. MR. MEOWGI

Oh yeah I forgot she was a babysitter. I guess that Lone Star Card was just left there by someone else.

You pick the best people to defend.

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

if you think someone can pay an 1100 to 1500 house note a month without yet paying taxes and insurance, you're a dumbass.

20. MR. MEOWGI

She rented.