1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nick Nurse - replacement for Silas?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Apr 3, 2023.

1. i3artow i3aller

#61 i3artow i3aller, Apr 13, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2023
    Rudyc281 likes this.
  2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

At least they ask questions. The Rockets reporters only launch softballs.

3. i3artow i3aller

4. MystikArkitect

*Beach balls

5. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I really don't like some of what's being said about Nurse's offense. All I'm hearing is statements and hints that he just throws his players into hero-ball situations with little to no movement. Someone please tell me otherwise.

Arnel likes this.
  6. cheke64

cheke64 Member

5 out offense?

7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Yikes that sounds eerily similar to Silas' approach. Not sure Im digging that. Starting to think Frank Vogel makes the most sense if winning is the expectation next season with a young core. Nurse hasnt wont without Kawhi and Atkinson is unproven.

8. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

A perfect post. Exactly who I would have coaching the Rockets next season. Y

groovemachine likes this.
  9. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

A perfect post. Exactly who I would have coaching the Rockets next season. Y

10. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

This group needs structure. Playing freely has resulted in 3 seasons of ish. Do what's necessary to correct the culture and sign a coach that will implement a new system that will best harness and mesh these young guys skills. One they can grow in and build the chemistry needed to shine.

11. OremLK

OremLK Member

Yeah, that quote is a big oof for me. We don't need another guy whose motto is "just let the guys play".

Pushes me right back toward Atkinson out of the guys currently being rumored

B-Bob, Believe It! and Aruba77 like this.
  12. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

yes, we need structure

Believe It! and OremLK like this.
  13. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Nurse has an elaborate philosophy with a dissertation and a couple books under his belt preaching things like winning is the first expectation and increasing player market value. He prioritizes defense and having a championship ring brings the ultimate credibility.

But It’s interesting that a lot of Rocket fans criticized Silas for his handling of Sengun using words like “throwing under the bus” when he criticized Sengun’s defense. But then these same fans praise guys like Nurse who used the same tactic criticizing couple of his players.

“Those guys have not understood A) how hard we play [and], B) our schemes [and] that defence is a priority for them, etc. We’ve got some work to do with that crew.”

He’s been called a “disciplinarian” and “hardass” from fans on this site but the truth is he is a collaborative coach giving players autonomy and a say much like many coaches in the modern era. He credits a book he read.

For me, it was transitioning to modern coaching,” Nurse said. “Freedom in the Huddle is exactly what it says. You’re giving your players a democratic choice of how they want things done and making them important parts of the decision-making process, which gives them much more ownership of it.”

He’s an innovative and principled dude and has the hardware to prove it. But if Rockets fans want him then they should accept what he is instead of what they falsely believe or want him to be.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

There are so many coaching changes because situations, human relationships change...

Coaching is important but players are the most important part of the game and it will stay that way.

Stephen_A likes this.
  15. TimDuncanDonaut

Barnes better love nurse :p; Nurse got him the ROTY award over Mobley.

16. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

17. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I like Nurse as both he and Udoka are my top
    choices. And I believe he has been the Rockets top target all along.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  18. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

If we get Nurse, he should bring Scariolo as his assistant again.

19. ExTexanNowEastCoast

Nurse has a .582 winning percentage, and his win totals have dropped every season. Not sure what the love affair is with him, but if we hire him we will be looking for another HC in two seasons. Guy reminds me of the Van Gundy bros (although he does have a ring).

cheke64 likes this.