1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nick Nurse - replacement for Silas?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Apr 3, 2023.

1. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Interesting rating system.

2. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

If you want to hear the whole thing, go to around 52:40 in this video:

Seems pretty good to me, and like I said, I'm assuming he's talking about Watson being the "problem" coach.

sirjesse, cheke64 and ThatBoyNick like this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If Borrego is the cheapest option, that has to count for Tilman.

raining threes likes this.
  4. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

god the ego on this guy though.

cheke64 likes this.
  5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Why did he do an uninspiring Ted talk about coaching performances to suburb flip flop parents?

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I agree. This video made me like him a lot less. Let's get Udoka.

Even when I was at BCG, I hated all this mutual grading all the time.

It's also very inappropriate of him to refer to one of his current coaching staff like that.

Aruba77 and RC Cola like this.
  7. RC Cola

Haha, as far as I understand, those are coaches. Not sure of the specifics (I'm too lazy to look), but this is some conference for coaches in Hungary I believe. The Davidson coach (the one who coached Curry IIRC) was also there. Bob something (too lazy to look it up).

Wow, really? Guess I missed it, but I didn't really get that sense from him. That video (and all the others I linked) made me like him a lot more. Seems pretty humble to me if I'm being honest, though yeah he's not afraid to use real examples of players/staff (though in these videos at least, he rarely names guys, which apparently he doesn't do during media briefings). He might need to work on that a bit, but it doesn't really bother me.

How would you like a head coach to evaluate his staff? This doesn't seem that crazy to me. Not saying it is the best (I kinda hate these systems too), but I'd guess they're pretty common in the NBA. Can't just go on gut feelings I assume.

I'm probably just fanboying too much to notice the legit issues.

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

lol. I've worked for companies that do employee evaluations and use this form of peer evaluation as metrics. I actually kind of like it. But at my last company everyone was basically buddies with one of the people getting reviewed so gave him all "5's". He was everybody's buddy, cooked them bbq, brought them gifts, paid for stuff, etc. but had no clue what he was doing when it came to work. They eventually made him the manager despite the fact he knew next to nothing about the product, how to code, etc. But man, he made good chili and bbq.

My evaluation ended up not mattering because he was made the department manager, but I didn't care since I knew I was going to retire within a month or two, anyway. What was funny is after the reviews were turned in, you get to look at the results for each of the sections of the review everybody turned in on you. Of course we're all friends, but everyone else turned in 5's for him, and I was over here dishing out 2's, 3's. Even before turning in the reviews, they told me "for once in your life, LIE". lolol. At the end, they knew the only reason the guy didn't get a near-perfect score was because of me. I told him, man, if I had given you all 4's and 5's, they would've had me drug-tested, and we laughed it off. Even at the year-end reviews I was asked "You seem to have a problem with 'Bob'". I asked them "why do you say that?" The senior boss said "well, you're giving him 2's and 3's while everybody else is giving him 4's and 5's from the looks of it". I told him, "you want me to lie?" and he busted out laughing. I told him, the guy was one of my closest friends at work, but I'm not going to make up crap to influence people. If I wanted to do that, I'd go work in sales or marketing.

A lot of these reviews and scores aren't just about who you review, but reveal a lot about the reviewer, too, or their interactions and ability to get along with the current staff. In general, I don't mind it, but like anything else, it can be rigged, too.

9. raining threes

I just watched the last 3 mins or so, and I like his philosophy. I didn't see a guy with a huge ego, so maybe I need to watch the entire video?

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

great coaches have ego. It manifests in different ways. Phil Jackson was the hippy guru and Greg Pop is the Liberal saint. It’s all about confidence; no different from players

apollo33 and RC Cola like this.
  11. RC Cola

Haha, yeah I think you're 100% right, and this is why I have issues with these rating systems as well. I think you're *probably* going to get more accurate ratings in the context of a NBA coaching staff (especially the ratings from the lead assistants), but I think it is still a potential limitation no matter what. In the context of what Nurse was talking about, I think it can be a useful tool in the ways you mention. He basically said this is a good way to find out "who is the pain in the ass." For that purpose, I think this works fine, though figuring out if guys should be promoted or let go (based on performance) might require something else. I don't think he went into detail about those kind of things, but hopefully there's more to it than this.

OK, glad I wasn't the only one who was confused by the "big ego" comments. Nurse takes a lot of questions (either in this video or the others I shared), and he always seems respectful to the person asking the question and checking to see if he answered it appropriately. Seems to give a lot of credit to his staff and the players at various times too. In the drills, he seemed to enjoy working with the kids they had there too (and asked for applause for their participation).

I do think he is very confident of himself though (which comes across in these videos IMO), and yeah that could be interpreted as a having a big ego.

12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

You're retired? How old are you? :eek: Oh, I see it in your profile.