1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Nick Johnson is doing really well in summer league.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by autoprt, Jul 15, 2014.

1. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Nice comparison. But Nick has much better handle than Luther, or so I hope...

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

With the Rockets, he's definitely a capable PG in our system. He's been playing the lead guard so far in SL for a good amount of time, and while he has some issues with turnovers, he's often on queue with making the right basketball plays and seems to have a good feel for where the ball needs to go when facilitating the offense.

A couple turnovers here and there for a rookie is expected, and remember who our backup PG was last year. I think Johnson will be fine playing either guard spot, but for the Rockets, he probably makes more sense long term playing alongside a bigger 2 who can be a play-maker... good fit playing next to James Harden.

3. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Like Nike, have hope for Isiah, don't like Covington at all - plays at a slow pace and he's too cool to hustle. Look's like he wants no part of contact anywhere.

I pray that Tjones and Dmo are somewhere shooting 3's and learning to play better post and position D at the 4.

Morey, please use that money to get some great bench players.

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Nick plays defense and is athletic

5. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

his pg play and handles will get better playing against pbev everyday in practice.

6. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Prediction: Johnson will steal Canaan's minutes. Dude is a real two-way player and absent another trade for proven veteran pg, he may indeed be the backup for Bev.

7. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

Luther Head was never this athletic and had a catapult like shooting form.

8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

At this point, am sending out to the call to Nick.

[​IMG]

He needs to be our Sam I Am, or our Joe Dumars. Help us, Nick Johnson. You are our only hope.

9. afk

afk Member

Our future spark off the bench. :cool:

10. micah1j

micah1j Member

I think Johnson spends lots of time with the RGV. His 3 pt shot is horrible in summer league. Like D-mo bad.

11. bmd

bmd Member

He's alright.

12. romain

romain Member

A very decent back up. Contract coming out soon...

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am pretty ecstatic about the young guys yet I feel Adrien and Dorsey could be solid for us

Championship worthy? Probably not

14. D-rock

D-rock Member

Nick is also better defender, passer, finisher, rebounder and shot blocker than Head. So not seeing the similarity other than both are undersized shooting guards.

15. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

I watched most of the summer league games the Rockets played this year.

I really like him.

There is no question in my mind that he will replace Cannan when our season starts, in fact, I can even see him to be inserted in the starting lineup in some situation late in the season, yes, he is that good.

He is mature, he is poised and he definitely can run a team efficiently.

I like his court awareness, even without the ball, he is always put himself in a good position on the court to expect a pass or grab a rebound.

He got some great shot blocks in couple games in Orlando also.

Nick is the only positive thing happened to the Rockets in this offseason.

16. autoprt

autoprt Member

agreed. actually this is the 1st year i've watched summer league games and he has really stood out. as it was said hope his game translates but for some reason i think he will be fine.

17. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Also I kind of feel bad for Lin.

Laker's 2nd round pick Jordan Clarkson (combo guard with same size of Lin but much faster and stronger) also showed some flash in the Vegas summer league and I truly believe he will be a much better player than their first round 7th pick Randle.

18. autoprt

autoprt Member

Lin will be ok`

19. autoprt

autoprt Member

Lin will be ok, he plays better overall when there aren't too many expectations and he can just play. Lakers were already bad last year not much expected of them this year.

20. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He is really strong in the upper body and dribbles it hard and keeps it low and tight to his body. He is playing the vast majority of summer league handling the ball. Actually dribbling the ball, he looked better than about every PG he was matched up against in Summer League. I specifically made it a point to compare in all of the games that have been on TV.

I expect him to play a whole lot more minutes at PG than SG. He isn't going to ever be Jason Kidd with the passing and court vision, but there are a ton of PG's in the NBA that aren't either. Off the top of my head, the Rockets have had Luther Head, Mike James, Aaron Brooks, and Pat Beverly who aren't assist machines.

He won't get his pocket picked bringing it up court. On the other hand, his jumper won't ever be anything above OK.