1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nick gives up 26.5 million to leave !!!

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by NBAddict, Feb 7, 2002.

1. NBAddict

NBAddict Member

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nuggets/article/0,1299,DRMN_20_975240,00.html

Nick Van Exel wants to leave Denver so badly, he is willing to give up $26.5 million to do it.
    The Denver Nuggets point guard has told the franchise and his agent he will agree to forgo the final two years of his contract if doing so will facilitate a trade, several NBA sources confirmed Wednesday.

The offer is allowable under NBA rules because Van Exel can opt out of the final two years of his deal after the 2003-04 season. If Van Exel elects to stick to the terms of the deal, the final two years would become guaranteed if, in the first five years of the deal, he met several incentives that are believed to be easily attainable.

Van Exel, in the third year of his deal, is willing to make the concession to a limited number of teams. He has given Nuggets general manager Kiki Vandeweghe that list in hopes something will be done soon. The NBA trade deadline is Feb. 21, two weeks from today.

NBAddict: Talk about putting your money where your mouth is.

2. TroyBaros

TroyBaros "Special" Friend of Steve Francis

welcome to the pin stripes Nick :)
    Go rockets!:p

3. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

The guy is nuts to do that. Would you do it?

4. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

What an idiot. Just play stupid! What could possibly be so freaking bad about Denver? If it's the losing that bothers you, play better and win, idiot.

5. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I have to disagree with you on this, Freak. I know what you are saying and maybe I'm misinterpreting you here, but one guy cannot win a game by himself. McDyess has been out, LaFrentz seems to be an underachiever (at least that's the impression I get from the Nuggets fans here), and there's been turmoil with Issel, Van Exel could average over 30 a game and 7 to 8 assists a game, it wouldn't matter because he has no help.

I think everyone would agree that Francis (when he has played) is having one of his best (I wouldn't say it's his best because he has missed too many games) seasons. Yet, the Rockets are around .500 when he has played. You have said it before and I agree with you...this Rockets team is just not that good compared to the other teams in the West. Yet, we as fans are for the most part oblivious to this team's shortcomings.

I might get flamed for saying this, but I actually admire the fact that Van Exel realizes what a sucky situation he's in and that he wants out and to play for a winner. Maybe that makes him a quitter in some people's eyes, but to me it makes him a competitor. It's just too bad that he has a bad rep because he is going to find it hard to get on a good team because everyone's impression of him is that he will destroy team chemistry.

6. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

For God's sake, I'd wash jock straps for 2 years in Salt Lake City for only 13.25 Million Dollars. What kind of idiot would walk away from that kind of money?

7. Iron McFist

Iron McFist Member

As Sir Charles so eloquently put, Nick, "you a stoned a idiot".