1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nick Caserio - Next GM

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nimo, Jan 5, 2021.

?

How you feel?

1. I love

26 vote(s)
    10.8%
  2. I hate

84 vote(s)
    35.0%
  3. meh

69 vote(s)
    28.8%
  4. I don't know

61 vote(s)
    25.4%
  1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

“No validity to the caserio rumor”

2. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Given what NC said after Lovie left, what I could see is him moving to a position like President of Football Operations (or something similar) and then hiring a GM like Adam Peters.

#882 Shark44, Apr 14, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2023
    red5rocket, whag00 and cmoak1982 like this.
  3. Two Sandwiches

If Caserio shows his hand this early again and drafts Anderson, he has no business being in an NFL war room. It does nothing to help the team by leaking the Anderson pick this early. In fact, it probably hurts them.

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

#884 zeeshan2, Apr 14, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2023
  5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

6. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Member

They signed Tyrod Taylor a month prior to the draft. So, yeah... using what is literally your most valuable draft asset at the time on a low-ceiling QB when you literally have a roster with zero talent... you deserve to be bashed. Especially if you can't surround that poor decision with a bunch of good moves. Hell, he immediately compounded the problem by trading away assets to move up for Nico Collins. You are welcome to try and counter with *any* positive personnel moves Caserio has made - but I think you'd be pretty hard-pressed.

justtxyank likes this.
  7. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

I think you needed to flesh this out more. It wasn't that he used a pick on QB, it wast that the best case scenario for Davis Mills was pretty low ceiling. They didn't draft him thinking there was a chance he could be a franchise QB. So what was the point?

Like I could see if a guy like Anthony Richardson had been there at that pick you say, hey, we need so much but this guy has so much upside and you took him. But Davis Mills? Best case scenario was a low ceiling game manager. Why would you even swing for that?

In the situation they were in it just made zero sense to use a high value pick on a low upside guy. You just have to do better with your picks.

I would 100% swap Nick out for the 49ers guy and if there's any chance they could add him to Nick then do that. They need a talent evaluator and I don't see proof that Nick is that.

Deep Steel Truth and Sooty like this.
  8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

The Athletic did a redraft a year later:

https://theathletic.com/4408273/2023/04/14/nfl-redraft-2022-sauce-gardner/

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

10:30

red5rocket and Sooty like this.
  10. gucci888

gucci888 Member

How so? Genuinely asking.

If Anderson is indeed the pick, I don’t see how to really affects them. Indirectly it makes the 3rd pick much more valuable where a division rival may pay a kings ransom to move up?

11. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

This is just my .02. My feeling is Nick is gone. I am not sure who has made this decision, Nick, Hannah or Cal. I don’t really care.

I also feel that Nick is a control freak and now he’s lost total control so he’s not happy about it. Again, just my thoughts on why in part this WILL happen. I never speak in absolutes but I think it’s 99%.

Sooty likes this.
  12. Jayded

Jayded Member

I think it has to be that if you're really considering doing that, the smarter statement is, "We really value one of the quarterbacks in this draft." Then sit back and wait for the calls, not because we want to entice Carolina, but because we want to see what kind of ransom we'd be passing up if we choose to stick at 2 and go with Anderson vs. sliding down a few slots and maybe still getting Anderson (with picks) or a player like Carter.

13. liveguy

liveguy Member

Good!

No GM should be able to hire 3 HC’s 3 years in a row and keep his job.

He meddled too much and is clearly a type that has to have 100% control of everything INCLUDING the HC duties or he’s unhappy.

If he wants to be a GM and HC puppeteer then do that somewhere else.

HillBoy likes this.
  14. Major

Major Member

The Watson mess can explain why the Texans had no QB the last two years. But it has nothing to do with the lack of talent up and down the roster. At the end of the day, the Texans got several years of functional QB play at a cheap price and then got more draft capital back than they originally spent in a trade. He was a net-profit for the Texans. The Texans completely lack of talent and dysfunction is not on him.

Deep Steel Truth likes this.
  15. gucci888

gucci888 Member

Honestly I’m not sure they are wanting to field offers since they can’t trade down past #3 if they want one of Bryce, Stroud or Anderson. And I don’t think the Cards have any intention on moving up.

In other words, think the Texans are in a bit of no man’s land. The bluff game doesn’t do much for them directly IMO.

16. evilhomer

evilhomer Member

Cal sure does like paying people that aren’t even in the building anymore….and yet I haven’t seen any progress on that wall….brick by brick

17. Jayded

Jayded Member

I guess it depends. If it’s Anderson vs tons of draft capital next year + Carter do we really think they stay put? This draft feels pretty flat if there isn’t a definitive “our guy” to not force the accelerator on the rebuild.

18. gucci888

gucci888 Member

I like Anderson a lot and think there will be a lot of good players at #12 that could accelerate the rebuild even without spending a premium pick on a QB. Looking at the Jets 2022 draft as an example but obviously that all depends on Caserio hitting on both picks.

Sooty likes this.
  19. raining threes

This is what a rebuild looks like after 51-7. A badly needed rebuild, the 51- 7 team wasn't devoid of talent. It was devoid of character. Bunch of quitters.

20. Hemingway

Hemingway Member
    Supporting Member

Unless they don’t really want Bryce, Stroud, or Anderson. Lance Z says they like Tyree more than Anderson. If any of that is true then trading down is the smart thing to do. I think they could get a lot from Seattle, Atlanta, or Las Vegas and either just wait on their QB to next year or use the acquired pick for AR, Levis, or Hooker (late 1st, 2nd). I think they absolutely do not want Stroud, because of his poor S2 score. I think the Colts have their sites on Levis.

No Worries likes this.