1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nick Caserio - Next GM

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nimo, Jan 5, 2021.

?

How you feel?

1. I love

26 vote(s)
    10.8%
  2. I hate

84 vote(s)
    35.0%
  3. meh

69 vote(s)
    28.8%
  4. I don't know

61 vote(s)
    25.4%
  1. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

I was hopeful of Watson, but if you think about it, what has he done?
    I reckon we got a yuge haul for him.
    A rookie after his rookie season

2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

4. DasouthDakota

DasouthDakota Rookie

Welp,

That's the kiss of death.

5. raining threes

He got backup guys in 2021. He swung for the fences on Mills and thought Nico was a WR2, BTW, I think Nico can still be a fine WR2.

Then he drafted backup types like Jordan/Wallow/Lopez. I will bet you that Wallow/Lopez both have at least 5 year NFL careers. Pretty good for 5th/6th rd picks. IMHO

Stingley was a Lovie pick, he worked out both Sauce/Stingley. Even if I'm wrong I've still got a feeling that Stingley will be a solid starting CB for a long time. Go back and checkout my mock, I wanted Sauce over Stingley and Jordan Davis over Green. I also wanted Sam Williams over Petrie and wanted Woolen in the 3rd. So do I think Caserio did a great job? Nope, but I do think that if healthy both Green (Who was playing hurt last year) and Stingley will both end up as really good pro's and long time starters, along with Petrie, Harris,Pierce. Adding 5 long time above avg starter level players is a good draft. IMHO You can feel free to disagree with this, but we all have our own opinions. Proof will be in the pudding.

I'm glad the Sexual Predator is gone. Fact is whether what you think is true or not, Caserio set the price at the 2nd best trade in NFL history and got what he wanted in trade for the Sexual Predator. Mission accomplished.

Explain to me how he owns losing the #1 pick? Yes he should've traded Cooks and I dont know if Caserio is the guy that makes players active or inactive, but he should've done what it took to make sure Cooks was inactive. What that said, the only person to truly blame was Lovie and Caserio didn't have the authority to fire Lovie before that game. That was a Cal call. BTW, I'm glad they didn't get 1-1, because if they had 1-1 Young would be the future QB of the Texans and now it's starting to look like they're going to do the right thing and build the team out before drafting their franchise QB. I dont know if this is what Caserio wants to do, but I'm pretty sure this is what Ryans wants to do.

I think he's done a good job with the cap, this was always going to be a 2 year cleanup of the cap. In fact he's got the team very well positioned in 2024 cap wise.

6. raining threes

Rick Smith drafted a Sexual Predator.

I big reason why the Texans org is where its at today.

El_Conquistador likes this.
  7. Qan

Qan Member

I hope not. That'll be fcking terrible. A similar analogy would be wanting to go back to your old bad/cheating/abusive ex-partner, because your current one is worst, so you forget how bad the ex was. If Caserio is fire (doubtful), move on to someone new and better.

8. raining threes

Agreed,

I'm betting Stingley and especially Green get healthy and play well next year.

zeeshan2 likes this.
  9. Sooty

Sooty Member

Yup - were in a hole because we drafted a sexual predator in 2017. Not because we brought on Easterby, not because we gave Bob reins to the GM + coach role, not because of shitty play calling not because we put forth sh*tty trades.

I mean all recruiters/scouts would have seen he was a sexual predator from the get go and let him fall to undrafted, I mean they all - Gaine, Bob, Easterby should’ve cut him straight away or traded him vs waiting 5 years.

Let’s just point to our current hole like this.

coachbadlee likes this.
  10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

You're a "Sexual Predator". Now, prove me wrong.

11. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Stupid post

coachbadlee likes this.
  12. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Exactly right. We had to sell low on Watson AND D-Hop also screwed us. That's why it's so important to draft high integrity players. I continue to believe we need to do psychological testing to gauge maturity and responsibility... two areas that often are lacking in young athletes.

I think the picks we got for Watson will ultimately be very beneficial, but we haven't realized those benefits yet.

raining threes and whag00 like this.
  13. Rockets34Legend

14. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Member

Nico Collins has not, in two years, given us any reason to believe he will be a WR2. And "swinging for the fences," when you have limited resources, is a bad idea. Using your best asset on a QB when you have ZERO talent on the roster is a bad idea.

Again, if you want to grade '21 on a curve, OK. But drafting back-ups in late rounds for *this* roster is not terribly difficult.

This is problematic on several fronts, namely why in the everliving**** is a failed, dead-man-walking head coach being allowed to make personnel decisions with an extremely valuable asset like the third pick in the draft? Also, wasn't the general consensus that Stingley was a terrible fit for Lovie's defense? Which leads to another question: why were they drafting for a defense unlikely to survive more than a year, max two years?

Just an absolute clown show. On draft night, they should have told Lovie the wrong address and changed all their phone numbers to ensure he had zero influence. Good lord.

You can't grade potential; only results. Results have been terrible. If a lot of IFs are positively answered, then, yes: the draft is worthy of a reevaluation. But just because *you* think they'll be good is no reason to praise Caserio.

The NFL clearly did not care that Watson was a sexual predator. With that barrier removed, Caserio was, essentially, trading a 25-year old franchise QB. He did well in a near fool-proof scenario which the Texans were in because of Caserio's best friend.

Why don't you?:
    So there's one way he owns it.

How in the world do you know that? Which begs a more general question: isn't it convenient how often Caserio's defenders are quick to pin bad decisions on others? He didn't hire Culley, Or Lovie. He didn't draft Stingley. He couldn't fire Lovie.........

What, exactly, does Caserio do?? Other than conveniently get credit for all the (scarce) good decisions?

Losing 1.1 was more than just a single pick - they lost control of the draft: they lost the ability to draft whoever they wanted at 1.1; they lost pick #33 (32, this year), one of the most valuable picks in the entire draft; they made themselves vulnerable to another team - or worse, a divisional opponent - jumping them and stealing their 1.1 guy.

It was a monumental organizational failure.

He's done well with the cap. Again, it wasn't a terribly difficult situation: they had ZERO talent on the roster and no high draft picks for two years.

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

17. conquistador#11

I don't get it. Why release any doubt right now. If I'm BDN and reading all this crap, I'm going full Lovie on draft night. Hannah better take all decisions away from me or I'm taking Brandon Joseph with the 2nd pick.

*not everyone is as petty. Casserly drafted the best Class in history on his way out and he knew he was out.

18. desihooper

desihooper Member
    Supporting Member

Just don't let him orchestrate a trade with the Pats for Jones on the way out/back to New England.

red5rocket and conquistador#11 like this.
  19. raining threes

TLTR

We've got different views on the job Caserio has done.

He's done what he was brought here to do.

They've got a clean cap and will have for yrs. They're loaded with draft picks.

Lovie wasn't a dead man walking, Cal promised Lovie pick 1-3 if he would take the HC job. That's why Lovie worked out both Stingley/Sauce. There's a problem for sure, it's Cal meddling in things that are out of his depth, just like his daddy did.

20. raining threes

Also a very true post.