1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nick Caserio - Next GM

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nimo, Jan 5, 2021.

?

How you feel?

1. I love

26 vote(s)
    10.8%
  2. I hate

84 vote(s)
    35.0%
  3. meh

69 vote(s)
    28.8%
  4. I don't know

61 vote(s)
    25.4%
  1. raining threes

I dont know about this, Caserio wanted to hire Gannon and Janice/Cal put the condition of keeping Lovie as a condition to hiring Gannon and Gannon said thanks but no thanks. So maybe the McNair's will have learned something and let Caserio hire who he wants to hire this go around. doubtful.

2. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

I was being very sarcastic. Matt Patricia is terrible. In every coaching respect. No owner in his rightful mind would entertain him as a HC.

So with that said - there’s probably a chance.

Rudyc281 and raining threes like this.
  3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Seeing that the bottom line is dwindling by the week (all time low merchandise sales, all-time low local tv and radio ratings, all-time low actual people attending games meaning less NRG revenue overall), you’d think they’d take notice.

But hey… they’ll re-brand the uniforms next year and expect the dullards here who support them no matter what to buy it in droves.

4. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Interestingly enough the Texans find themselves in the exact same position as they were 20 years ago. Take the stud DE worthy of the #1 pick or face of the franchise QB?

I like Anderson a lot but I can’t imagine the lack of interest there will be if Caserio trots out some journeyman QB with the promise of a better defense under Lovie.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

20 years ago they had a set coach/GM, and a fan base that was 1000% behind them.

Nobody cares about this team now till they show competence in all phases of the game.

HillBoy, Rudyc281 and raining threes like this.
  6. raining threes

The Stros were here a short time ago.

They didn't listen to the media, immediate gratification crowd and look at where they're at today. Will Cal do this? Unlikely

Rudyc281 and red5rocket like this.
  7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The Astros had an owner and a GM who had a plan from the get go.

There are already stories that Casserio is on the hot seat and instead of Cal giving a vote of confidence, he’s staring off into space as usual.

Also you can do 3-5 year rebuilds in baseball with a minor league system. Those don’t happen in football where every draft pick is one play away from being out for the year or their careers ending. And once you target and acquire your “franchise” guy, you better have things on track to win during the rookie deal or that era also will end as soon as it started.

charlieaustin likes this.
  8. raining threes

You can rebuild a team. But from where Caserio started it's going to take a couple of yrs. The differnce to me isn't the minor league system vs the NFL with really no minor league system.

The difference is they've screwed with the rules so much you have to have a top tier QB to be successful and there's not one of those guys in this draft. IMHO

Rudyc281 likes this.
  9. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

More reason to go after Will Anderson instead of Bryce Young

raining threes and Rudyc281 like this.
  10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You also need a good coach. Casserio has already failed twice in that regard, and it’s plausible he will have a third chance…

Rudyc281 likes this.
  11. Do WHAT?

Do WHAT? Member

12. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Don’t think CB is really a position of need

13. raining threes

Caserio doesn't hire the HC's, the McNair's do the hiring.

You really think Caserio went to Cal and said Lovie's my guy?

Rudyc281 likes this.
  14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And therein lies the problem. Something as critical as the HC should be solely at discretion of the GM who is trying to build the team (and getting paid a lot to do so)

or you hire a HC who picks his own GM to help build the team towards his coaching style/philosophy.

Either way, Casserio is either responsible or he’s a lame duck.

15. raining threes

He's a lame duck.

We can hope Cal sees his failures in his ability to hire HC's and let Caserio hire his guy this hiring cycle.

Rudyc281 and conquistador#11 like this.
  16. raining threes

17. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I would clean house, Caserio and Lovie. I don't think anyone could define any kind of discernible direction the texans are heading in. Start over

Rudyc281 likes this.
  18. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Just a reminder that Nick was hired with almost zero experience relevant to his job apart from serving under Bill Belichick, who has a losing record in games not started by the greatest QB of all time.

vince, Rudyc281 and a time to chill like this.
  19. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Again, there is no Patriot Way - it was just Brady all along. They are frauds and Nick is just another con man. Someone needs to rescue Tommy Boy from this cult.

charlieaustin and Rudyc281 like this.