1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nice article about Ralph Sampson

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deji McGever, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

It's nothing over-the-top but it beats hearing about Mad Max getting in trouble again....

http://www.whsv.com/news/headlines/103541604.html?ref=604

Former NBA Player Hoping to Stop Violence Near Kelley Street
    Harrisonburg, Va.

With shootings and violence spiking near Kelley Street recently, former Houston Rockets and University of Virginia basketball player Ralph Sampson is working with the Boys & Girls Club in Harrisonburg to bring the community together.

Ralph Sampson used to shoot baskets on Kelley Street, Simms Avenue and Myrtle Street with friends.

However, with shootings and violence spiking there recently, the former Houston Rockets and University of Virginia basketball player is working with the Boys & Girls Club in Harrisonburg to bring the community together.

After a shooting occurred on Kelley Street two-and-a-half weeks ago, Sampson called the Boys & Girls Club in the area with ideas, like having basketball tournaments, to keep kids in the area busy and off the streets.

"Ralph's purpose is to bridge that gap between people in the community, and to get to know them," says Anthony Hills, who works at the Boys & Girls Club, explaining the role of Sampson in the issue. "He's going to the schools and saying 'You need to work with the Boys & Girls Club too', which I think is a great idea."

Sampson helping out the kids is only part of the plan to make the community safer.

The Northeast Neighborhood Association has called a town hall meeting at the Simms Center in Harrisonburg for 7 p.m. Thursday to discuss the violence.

Local leaders will be there and it is open to the public.

© Copyright 2010 WHSV / Gray Television Group, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

2. varuscelli

varuscelli Contributing Member

Thanks for posting this, Deji.

I always liked Sampson back in his pro basketball days, and it's good to hear a little about him now and again.

3. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

always liked Ralph....i can remember exactly where i was watching that game when he fell flat on his back after getting undercutted going for a rebound....he was never the same after that fall

4. varuscelli

varuscelli Contributing Member

Yeah, a really nasty thing that fall...playing the Celtics...and as I recall, that seemed to be the beginning of the downhill road for him. But that fall and hit on the floor was a scary thing.

5. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

yep....against boston in the garden...man that sucked

6. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

That's odd, usually a 7'4" freak of nature wants to live a normal life or hidden life away from the cameras and strange stares. This guy probably has ppl wondering if he's the tallest human being that ever lived in and around that area. He's also an easy target if ever crossing a bad guys path. Props for his courage.

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

thanks 99er,

Ralph will always be a hero. 86 Rockets are legends

8. djimi

djimi Member

oh i just wanted to type in before tinman and there he is....well then i guess i should be saying in right after tinman!!

how i wish ralph was not injured throughout his career, i bet MJ wouldnt not be who he is if that were to happen cos Rockets would have easily won 6-7 Championship. good to see he's doing well though and helping society