1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NFL Week 7

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by RoxSqaud, Oct 22, 2010.

1. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Why did Matthews throw off his helmet mid play and keep going after the ball? This was mid 4th quarter I think.

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am not sure if they don't get along as one of Favre's reasons for wanting to play in MN in the first place was Childress.

Anyway with Favre there is a reason why in addition to the all time touchdown record he also has the all time interception record.

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It was the second or third last play of the game and what I think happened was that when he got blocked his strap came loose and his helmet was riding up into his field of vision so he just pushed it off so he could continue the play.

4. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

GTFO of here. These Miami fans and players trying to act like they got jobbed are like the sore losers down 2-3 balls in a game of pool that try to win on a scratch.

The zebra crew got this one right:

Rule 15

Officials: Jurisdiction and Duties

Section 9 Instant Replay

Reviewable Plays

section (c) Other reviewable plays:

under Note 2: "If the Referee does not have indisputable visual evidence as to which player recovered the loose ball, the ruling on the field will stand."

This is news to me but good to hear! :)

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

For some strange reason, I became a fan in 1971, the year before they became good. I remember the Immaculate Reception like it was last week. I think it was Curt Gowdy's call on NBC.

6. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

They were two Dolphins players under the pile, and then a Dolphin player came out with the ball that is clear evidence to me.
    and im not a dolphins fan, I just say what I saw.

7. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

I was hoping the Dolphins had recovered. A 1 point lead with 2 minutes to go has been a death knell for the steelers for a while.

Dolphins failed to win the game. The refs gave them the opportunity to have the ball last. They only needed a field goal. They failed to even make a first down! (The interception was on 4th down to the guy whining about that earlier.)

If it was a recovered fumble in the endzone, the Steelers burn their 3 timeouts and get the ball back and march down the field for another FG to win the game.

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

McFadden already with his career best season total.

9. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Checking in on my picks...

First of all, LOL @ ESPN's NFL front page. It currently features a story hailing the Bears as the NFC's last unbeaten team.

+1 Carson Palmer actually played well here, but the Falcons still held on despite the late charge from CIN.

+1 Yep.

+1 Well, the Ravens scored a lot of points. But the Bills scored a lot of points too, and almost won.

+1 Jones+Charles = 196 yards rushing and 2 TDs in a blowout win.

-1 Should have called the upset after all. Actually the Browns didn't get much done offensively, but dominated the Saints on defense. Brees regressed even further.

-1 The implosion of Soldier field is right on schedule after all.

-1 Thanks for nothing, David Carr. In case you haven't heard, the 49ers really suck.

-1 Almost. Impressive performance from Josh Freeman on the walk-off TD. Good call on the Rams defense and running game though.

-1 Unfortunately Philly defense didn't think Kenny Britt needed to be covered.

+1 SEA running backs combined for "only" 130 yards, but Max Hall did have a terrible day like I predicted and the Seahawks won easily.

+1 Props to Philip Rivers for almost pulling off the 4th comeback. And Antonio Gates still managed to find the endzone.

-1 Has anyone informed the Broncos defense yet that they had a game with Oakland yesterday?

-1 A disappointing outing for Randy Moss, and Brett Favre's days of being able to throw the ball in the NFL are over. Overturned late Harvin TD notwithstanding, the Vikings should have won this game, but they're still inferior to a banged up Packer side.

6-7. Damn. Crazy weekend.

10. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Been a completely different runner this year. I think the doubters started to get to him slightly which was a good thing. He knew what he was capable of when he was healthy.

That last TD where he bursted through the hole and turned on the jets was CJ-esque.

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

At first I thought you meant CJ Spiller.

Which would be more like "That last run where he fumbled because a slight breeze rolled through was epic".

12. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i'm not sure if it warranted a penalty but isn't the rule that you take off your helmet, it's a flag?

13. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Sitting here watching the highlights on ESPN, Antonio Pierce is just a horrible commentator.

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

is that a college rule or a pro rule, not sure

15. Lil Pun

I know if you take your helmet off in the NFL it is a penalty and if it comes of during a play then that play is dead.

16. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Yes, just not sure on the specifics. If you remember a few year back a Cleveland Browns player named Rudd took his helmet off in a game that allowed the opposing team to kick a game winning field goal. It nearly ended up costing them a playoff berth.

Edit: Video of incident. Skip ahead to about 2:30

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/F_nFvKv9pwc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/F_nFvKv9pwc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

#356 juicystream, Oct 25, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  17. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

The rule about the play being being dead is new to this year, but is really concerning accidental helmet loss, though I suppose it would be enforced as well if it was intentional.

18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

http://www.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/Index

Brett Favre's trip to Lambeau draws huge TV ratings
    03:06 PM

Brett Favre again proved to be a ratings powerhouse on Sunday night.

The loss by Favre and the Minnesota Vikings to the Green Bay Packers drew a 16.0 overnight TV rating -- the third-best Sunday night rating ever and the best October primetime rating in 12 years.

The game, broadcast on NBC, was a 28-24 Packers win that drew heavy attention because it was Favre's return to a stadium where he played for 16 years.

No NFL primetime game in October had drawn so well since a Vikings' trip to Green Bay on Oct. 5, 1998. Sunday's game drew a rating 54% higher than last year's Week 7 Sunday night game between the Cardinals and Giants.

NFL TV ratings have been taking off this season, with a record 150 million viewers having watched games through the first month of the season.

19. Lil Pun

Yeah, I knew that rule was knew. Taking off your helmet intentionally being a penalty is several years old I believe.

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I'm sick of seeing Favre's dumb mug. He's having a terrible year.