1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NFL team Name

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rocketman95, Mar 9, 2000.

1. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

The Texans name is absolutely gonna suck. Just think of the merchandise. It's a regional nickname. The only people that will buy the merchandise will be from Texas. You won't find Joe Schmoo in Cali wearing a Texans cap unless he has some relationship with the state - meaning he is from Texas. I highly doubt outsiders will be supporting the Houston Texans. The marketing geniuses behind Texans are going to have to work hard to make this sell. I'd rather go with Stallions or Wildcatters.

------------------
    It's all good!

2. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

May as well call them the

Houston Rednecks [​IMG]

------------------
    Stuff BBS, the Rockets and you guys

It's all Clippers these days, come join the bandwagon and visit

http://www.ClippersCity.net

3. dc sports

dc sports Member

Lynus302 -- FYI, the Aeros name is based on aviation, and the "theme" follows a WW2 Bomber.

I don't know if it would be a factor, but the Apollos was the name of Houston's first professional hockey team, which is part of the reason it sounds a little funny. But, it does follow the Houston tradition of "Space City" which will become even more important as the international space station goes on line. They could temper the space theme a little like the Astro's have.

The name Apollos does bring some interesting possibilites. The God of War, riding a flaming chariot, destroying everyone who stood in his way. Remember Samuel L Jackson's famous quote from Die Hard III. "...[Apollo] God of War, you know, Don't mess with me or I'll shove a lightning bolt up your..."

I thought a cool name, considering Houston's history of Hurricanes, Thunderstorms, and other tempermental weather, would have been the "Houston Storm!" McNair never asked me though...

------------------
    Stay Cool...

4. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

The Houston Rattlers
    The Houston Rat'lers
    The Houston Rattle Snakes (with Rattlers as the more commonly used name, ala Knickerbockers, Metropolitans, Super Sonics, Trail Blazers, etc)

I've said all along the other choices SUCK big time.

I just think Texans is a bad idea.... yeah, I'm from Texas, but I still hate the idea of hearing, "And starting for the Houston Texans at QB..." UGH What next? The Miami Floridians, The Honolulu Hawaiians, The Seattle Washingtons, The Oklahoma City Oklahomans...... just plain stupid.

But, if I had to choose from them, I'd choose Stallions, but it's still terrible.

------------------
    I have a dream.........his name's Hakeem.
    DREAMer's Rocket Page

[This message has been edited by DREAMer (edited July 19, 2000).]

5. grummett

grummett Contributing Member

John McClain said in Sunday's Chronicle that the name is going to be Texans. Everybody should go to Ric's Houston Pro Football site and look at the Texan helmet with the Texas flag on it. I think it looks terrific.

------------------

6. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

"Cowboys tame the Stallions"

I can just see that headline in the newspapers across the country. hehehehe....

Texans is the worst name I have ever heard off. Wildcatters? Apollos? who the hell thought up of all these shi!!y ass names.

------------------

7. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Roughnecks and Wildcatters are bad ass names for a Houston team, but you'd have to be a real Texan to understand it. If you don't understand the significance of the wildcatter and the roughnecks to Texas history, you're either too young or have too much yankee in your blood to realize that this state was built on the oil business--and NO WHERE in the state is that history more important than Houston.

------------------
    stop posting my damn signature

8. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

It'll be Texans. You can bet the farm on it.

------------------
    Bring It!!

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Roughnecks would also attract the gangsta element and help spur merchandise sales, too! [​IMG]

Wildcatters sounds so "Old West" or "days long gone". I can't stand it. I'd rather have the Stallions or something. Personally I don't like any of the choices mentioned, so there. [​IMG]

------------------
    Just shut up and post

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

You know... with as dorky a name as "Oilers" must've been when it was announced, I guess I can get used to the name "Texans" or "Wildcatters" or "Roughnecks". Somebody mentioned "Hurricanes" as a name... how they chose "Texans" over that I'll never know. I kind of liked it. And if they did end up choosing "Texans", how original are "we Houstonians" that we have to recycle an already-used name? WHO VOTED ON THIS STUFF?!

(can you tell I'm pissed?!)

------------------
    Just shut up and post

11. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

Pole,

We clash horns again. [​IMG]

I understand the historical significance of wildcatters and roughnecks. And, I respect that.

But, that doesn't mean they are good names for a FOOTBALL TEAM!

------------------
    DREAMer's Rocket Page

12. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

The 2002 Preseason schedule was released today. The NFL is expected to re-align but Houston will remain in the AFC. Only surprise is no Titans, but expect the Titans and Texans to be in the same division. Division opponents don't play each other in preseason although I remember seeing the Broncos vs. Chargers in Australia a couple of years ago.

1) Hall of Fame Game - Canton, OH - Kansas City Chiefs (most likely opponent and the former Dallas Texans) vs. Houston Texans

2) Houston at Denver

3) Houston at Dallas

4) Miami at Houston

5) Tampa Bay at Houston

Expect the team name to be Texans and at least the first training camp to be held in Houston. No Mack Brown will not be head coach [​IMG]
    ------------------
    It's all good!

[This message has been edited by Smokey (edited July 19, 2000).]

13. Rickem

Rickem Member

Ask anyone who's been outside the state how much a deragotory word "Texan" is. Could have a negative affect on luring FA's to the team.

Don't tell me they're also gonna put the lone star flag on that helmut as well.

------------------

14. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

man, no offense to Houstonites or Texans, but ...BWA Ha Ha Ha! the "Houston Texans"??
    That has got to be most r****ded name anyone could pick for a football team. I mean, what's next.. the Phoenix Arizonians, or the Miami Floridans? The Philedelphia Pennsylvanians???

Maybe the trend will progress into Canada, and we'll have the Saskatoon Saskatchewanians, or even better, the Yellowknife Northwest Territorians!!

ROFL... Houston Texans, indeed.. [​IMG]

For some sensible suggestions, how about:

Houston Rustlers or Houston Cattle Rustlers
    Houston Outlaws
    Houston Bandits
    Houston Blast
    Houston Pilgrims
    Houston Vultures

And I'm not even a fan of football..

------------------
    My dream job is to be a Houston Rockets towel-boy.

15. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Even though Texans to have more state pride on an average than any other state, the name is still cheesy for a football team.

My vote is for "Roughnecks," whether it be the oil worker tradition element or the gansa element, it works either way. And it is a good football name. It sounds mean, bone crunching, body crushing, roughneck football.

Then again, from an artistic standpoint, an Apollos would be really cool.

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Hey fadeaway,

Ever hear of the Montreal Canadians?

Those dumbass Canadians (no offense Azim!).

------------------
    Going for the Rolls Royce!

visit www.swirve.com

[This message has been edited by Rocketman95 (edited July 21, 2000).]

17. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

Rocketman95,

The name in question isn't the Houston Americans.......

Not that that would be any better.

GO RATTLERS

------------------
    DREAMer's Rocket Page

18. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Ever hear of the Montreal Canadians?

Yeah, what DREAMer said.

Besides, it's the Montreal Canadiens, with an "e". There is a difference.

Those dumbass Americans. (No offense DREAMer, Clutch, LHutz, or anyone besides Rocketman95!) [​IMG]

------------------
    My dream job is to be a Houston Rockets towel-boy.

19. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I still say the Houston Horny Toads would be the ultimate team name.

------------------
    I am so exasperated that I could expectorate.

20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I find it pretty interesting that with all our great "inside information" guys for the Rockets, we dont have someone with the same kind of info working for nfl2002 that knows for sure what the name will be. I mean, it is pretty close to 95% sure it will be Texans, but I think Stallions is still seriously in the running. There has got to be some marketing guy or other nfl2002 guy who knows who could tell a friend who could pass it along to someone here or something. At least September 6 we get the log, desing, name and everything at once.

------------------
    When I die I want to go peacefully like my grandfather. Not screaming like the passengers in the back seat!