1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NFL team Name

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rocketman95, Mar 9, 2000.

1. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

That one dude who writes columns for the Chronicle (Fast Food Junkie Guy) said to bet the Ranch on Wildcatters and to trust him on that.

I hope he's right.

2. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

You really want "Wildcatters?" I have lived in Houston all my life (24 years) and I have absolutely no idea what the hell a "Wildcatter" is.

I'd never even heard the word until I saw it posted here as a suggested name. Even then, I thought someone had screwed up in an attempt to type "Wildcats."

Anyone care to fill me in?

------------------
    Proud Cheerleader 'til we move to New Orleans

3. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Personally, I think all those names sound silly. Texans sounds the worst to me. Right now Stallions sounds the best, but there are already 2 horsies in the NFL, so we would probly end up with WildCatters.

Apollos? Bobcats? Hope not!

kdchilds likes this.
  4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

A Wildcatter is an oilman who takes risks, not afraid of danger.

I didn't like it until I understood what it was.

5. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Thanx R95!

Then I definitly prefer WildCatters.

6. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Dont know if u guys have heard, but the team name has been narrowed to 5.

Apollos, Bobcats, Stallions, Texans and Wildcatters

Its on the website http://nfl2002.com

------------------
    "Whooaa." - Ted

7. Dream34

Dream34 Contributing Member

I personally think that Houston Stallions just flows really well. It sounds cool and I am sure they can come up with a cool helmet and uniform.

My second choice would be the Wildcatters. Even though most of America would be picturing some kind of cat and not an Oilman.

8. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

No offense, but it's hard to imagine living in Houston and never having heard of a wildcatter. I personally prefer the name "roughnecks" which are the guys that actually work the rigs, but that name got blown out of the water because McNair thought everyone would call them the "rednecks." Anyway, I think "wildcatters" is a fine second choice. It pays homage to the industry that built Houston, and it spites Bud Adam's attempt to take that away from us by retiring the "oilers" name.

9. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

It's going to be the Texans, book it. McNair ended his speech yesterday at the groundbreaking ceremony by stating, "And I'm proud to be a **Texan**, but I'm even more proud to be a Houstonian."

Notice -- he didn't say how proud he was to be a Wildcatter!!

I talked with the Chronicle's John McClaine at the ceremony and he said it will be the Texans, and that's he's known for a year it's going to be the Texans. Another Oliver Stone twist: the 2002 site doesn't reveal voting results forthe name the team poll...

Mmmmmmmm....

Ric http://www.houstonprofootball.com

10. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Texans PLEASE!!!!

No cat's. No moon voyages. No horses.

We're people. We're proud. We're Texans.

11. Francis3

Francis3 Member

PLEASE DONT PICK TEXANS!
    I hate that name. All the names suggested are not good but If i had to choose i would go with Apollos.

kdchilds likes this.
  12. Lynus302

Thats the problem. The space theme has been done to death! Rockets, Astros, Aeros. Houston has more to offer than that. Pick anything other than space stuff and I'll be happy.

I still think Wildcatters is dumb.

------------------

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Roughnecks... ugh... that's all we need is "gangsta" themes associated with our team.

The other thing I hate is : Do we really need to associate all things rednecks with our teams?

That being said, I kind of like "Stallions". Please... no "Wildcatters" or "Texans". The former sounds like a bunch of 50 year old oil barrons, whereas the latter sounds like we have no original thoughts in our redneck minds. "Apollos" sounds non-NFL'ish, but then so probably did many of the other NFL teams' names when they came to be. "Bobcats"... not sure. I sure don't think of "Bobcats" when I think of Texas.

------------------
    <this space for rent>

14. Lynus302

Damn am I happy to find another "Texan" fan on this site.

Go Texans!

------------------

Rockets Pride likes this.
  15. popeye

popeye Member

Some inside stuff

Re: The names,voting and things.

This publicity move is a common tack in new franchise territories. everyone does it. It's designed to get the public inviolved and feel like they are part of something.

In actuality, the five top names voted on will be submitted for the final decision to Bob and a couple other people. It is not surprising that the boting will be kept secret after that. The name chosen by a marketing R&D group and the one that was the working title of this project from the first is "The Texans".

Don't be surprised if that is the end result when all this "public voting" business gets done.

Interestingly, there was some strong objection initially in the use of the word "Texans". Some politicians and business leaders contacted the NFL franchise and stated they thought people in Austin, San Antonio and particularly Dallas, would be upset that a Houston team would be representing all of Texas with a monnicker like "Texans".

Some of those fears (if I can use that word,I mean we are talking about a damn sports franchise's name here, not an ammendment to the constitution), were answered by McNair and company as saying they would be responsible citizens, etc...... . And, besides, as some "Texans" defenders said .... what about the Cowboys beaming and complacently accepting the mantle of "America's Team" for a number of years.

Also, interestingly (I guess it is if you got this far), is that "Stallions" was the second choice by the powers that be.

My Preference:

The Wildcats ( An oil well that speculatively was leased, rigged and drilled by a wildcatter .... and,came in despite the odds against that happening.)

The Tejanos ( The rich heritage of our state that includes: Tennessee/Kentucky(land granters), Lousianna/Mississippi(river runners), Mexicanos(crusty homesteaders), native indians (and mixed-bloods), emancipated negroes (Alabama,Georgia and the Carolinas) and hearty republicans(Sam Houston's Texas Republic).

Best bet:

The Houston Texans. EEeeee Haw,ya'll!

16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Narrowed down to just Texans, Appollos and Stallions now. So everyone saying it was Texans from the start things are looking like that could be the case. I prefer Stallions the most, but who cares really. I just cant beleive he has kept delaying the announcement. Now it is certain we will here around the first week of the NFL season. Til then.

------------------
    When I die I want to go peacefully like my grandfather. Not screaming like the passengers in the back seat!

17. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

I prefered Hurricanes but that name is not one of the finalists. Since it is not, I would say my preference is in the following order:

Texans
    Stallions
    Apollos

forget the rest.... I feel sure that it will be Texans though. That is the owner's favorite. Besides he owns all the website addresses names except for Apollos. [​IMG]

------------------
    Houston Rockets Forever!!
    In Rudy We Trust

18. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

19. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

All of those names suck! Well, maybe Stallions is ok.

Why not Rattlers or Hurricanes? At least those sound dangerous and threatening!

------------------
    "I've been licking this carpet for hours and I still don't feel like a lesbian!"

20. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

And now your Houston BobFinn*Cats

------------------
    Stuff BBS, the Rockets and you guys

It's all Clippers these days, come join the bandwagon and visit

http://www.ClippersCity.net