1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NFL: Saints maintained 'bounty' program from 2009-2011

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Mar 2, 2012.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Adam Schefter ‏ @AdamSchefter
    [rquoter]NFL security determined between 22 and 27 defensive players on the Saints, as well as at least one asst. coach, maintained a bounty program.

Investigation reviewed 18.000 documents totaling more than 50,000 pages. Commissioner Goodell will determine the discipline. NFL determined that former Saints DC Gregg Williams administered the program with knowledge of other defensive coaches. Discipline for the Saints could include fines, suspensions and forfeiture of draft choices.

NFL investigation of Saints began in 2010 when allegations were made that Saints targeted QBs such as Brett Favre and Kurt Warner. "In week of the NFCCG, Jonathan Vilma put $10K on a table & said 'this goes to the guy that knocks out Brett Favre.'" A safe prediction: Saints will be disciplined far worse than the Patriots were for Spygate. [/rquoter]

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...ogram-from-20092011?module=HP11_breaking_news

[rquoter]Statement From Saints Owner Tom Benson

"I have been made aware of the NFL’s findings relative to the “Bounty Rule” and how it relates to our club. I have offered and the NFL has received our full cooperation in their investigation. While the findings may be troubling, we look forward to putting this behind us and winning more championships in the future for our fans."[/rquoter]

[rquoter]Statement from Gregg Williams:

“I want to express my sincere regret and apology to the NFL, Mr. Benson, and the New Orleans Saints fans for my participation in the ‘pay for performance’ program while I was with the Saints,” Williams said. “It was a terrible mistake, and we knew it was wrong while we were doing it. Instead of getting caught up in it, I should have stopped it. I take full responsibility for my role. I am truly sorry. I have learned a hard lesson and I guarantee that I will never participate in or allow this kind of activity to happen again.”[/rquoter]

#1 J.R., Mar 2, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  2. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Damn that dude is toast.

3. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

2012 is forreal for saints Fans

- LSU chokes at the dome to Alabama
    - Saints choke to the 49ers
    - Drew Brees rejected a 21mil/yr contract offer and wants more money
    - And now this Bounty program thing which is gonna result in harsh penalties and loss of draft picks
    - They're gonna be like the Indiana Colts of last year and be a terrible team. Funny the Superbowl is gonna be held at their Dome next year

4. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I was with you until this line. The Saints are still a damn good football team, and will be one of the front-runners for the Super Bowl. But still, karma is a b****, ain't it Who Dat Nation?? Saints fans have to be amongst some of the most annoying fans in all of sports.

5. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

They take the cake. It isn't even close.

6. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

lots of player suspensions, pretty much no draft picks and Brees may not return. I think thats a mix for disaster.

7. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Good God almighty...........people think another NFL's team's fans are worse than Cowboy fans! The Mayans were right.

8. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Will Gregg Williams be suspended retroactively now with the Rams? This is his second offense so I can't imagine Goodell looking kindly upon him. Also, are the players who have been listed in jeopardy of being suspended, or simply getting fined?? It seems to me that the executives and coaches probably stand to lose more than the players in this since they are usually held to a little bit of a higher standard. It will be interesting to see how it plays out though. Also, there is no way the Saints let Brees walk. They lose him, they lose everything.

9. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

i would imagine williams gets numerous games suspended along with a massive fine. if saints lose draft picks could hurt, think i read they don't have a 1st round pick this year and don't pick until late in the 2nd rd

10. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I was about to post how stupid I thought this investigation was, particularly with the amount of (completely legitimate) rules put in place to protect offensive players; but then I thought about a 6'5" 330 pounder who could bench 500 and run a 4.6 40.

11. Acedude

Acedude Contributing Member

Curse continues

12. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Everyone around the NFL does this. Wouldn't be surprised if the Texans had something like this.

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Goodell should hurry up and announce the penalties.

14. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Saints are screwed. Fines...suspensions...draft picks taken....

15. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

There should be lifetime bans for this.

16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

If only we lived in Saudi Arabia or something, it would be fun to line Greg Williams up on the field and let the best and most brutal linebackers from around the league see who could achieve a "knock out" first.

What a scumbag.

17. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

It is weird how things have changed, because that's all teams did in the past was put bounties on opposing players.

18. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

He just announced that James Harrison will be fined 100k

19. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Espn headline claims Sean Payton should be fired.

20. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I'd be very surprised if "knocking players out of the game" and other similar malicious activity was that widespread. I tend to believe that players have more respect for each other than that, considering that it is their livelihood.

I could see perhaps bounties for simply getting sacks or players and assistant coaches putting together similar competition bounties under the table.