1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NFL Rules] Inching close to NO-FUN-LEAGUE Celebrations penalized in 2013

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by SwoLy-D, Aug 6, 2013.

1. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Member

Off the Snap: NFL officials plan to crack down on taunting
    MORE at the link... http://nfl.si.com/2013/08/06/nfl-cracking-down-taunting-off-the-snap

I think it would be fair to say you can do things at the crowd... but not at the player... a'la NBA...

:( Goodbye, JJ Watt military salute...

2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Member
    Supporting Member

Bull****.

3. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

this is pathetic

4. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Member

This sucks.

5. da_juice

da_juice Member

Sports has become so vanilla and boring. No celebrating, dress codes. Who does this benefit? What demographic is all of the sudden gonna start to watch because there's no celebrating?

6. Major

Major Member

It's not really about changing short-term behavior - it's about developing an image and brand. Just like no one is going to suddenly start buying Bud Light because they see some people saying "whaaaaz up".

Over years or decades, you can influence the way people look at the league based on the antics (or lack thereof) of the players. Apparently, the NFL has decided that not having that stuff is better for their long-term branding.

7. Major

Major Member

And for all the talk about things becoming vanilla, if you look back 20-30 years ago, did you have all these extended dances and celebrations of first downs and sacks? I didn't watch back then, so I really have no idea, but it seems be a relatively recent phenomenon over the last decade.

8. Fyreball

Fyreball Member

For what it's worth, Watt never salutes at the QB. He looks at the crowd and salutes. I'm hoping that that's still allowed.

9. Uprising

Uprising Member

So lame, taking away the salute.

Can Antonio still do the sword swing?

10. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Why doesn't the league just start invest in using robots, since they want their players to be devoid of personality, color, expression, and style?

11. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Member

Ok, so here is the rule book. I'm wondering how, if these are the 2012 rules, the league and in-game refs, officials or umpires and the likes didn't enforce these already-existing rules that deal with excessive celebrations and only until now we are hearing about it. Did all of 2013 and the 2012 not apply?
    http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/rulebook/pdfs/2012 - Rule Book.pdf
    :confused:

Oddly, Rodgers can still do his "tighty whities double check" celebration... right? That's unfair.

12. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Arian's namaste bow wont be allowed, either...seriously What is wrong with the NFL?? they really are making this a league of robots...guys have emotion. They are playing one of the most physical games in all types of sports...when a huge play happens they have the right to get exited...and Its always fun to involve the audience(whether its taunting or celebrating)...Goodell is a total idiot...

13. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Honestly couldn't care less about celebrations. It's definitely a waste of time to outlaw them like this, but it certainly doesn't bother me.

14. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Mark Gastineau did them. He would go nuts after a sack.

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/jH1k8iJ_DbQ?hl=en_US&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/jH1k8iJ_DbQ?hl=en_US&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

The Redskins had the fun bunch. It's been part of the league as long as I've watched it.

Actually, the Lions Texans game was ridiculous with the Lions celebrations. Every tackle or catch had a five second celebration ten yards from the play. It was stupid. That has gotten out of control. Big play fine, every play not so much.

I will say if they're concerned about their brand they should be more interested in all the crimes committed off the field than the dances on the field.

#14 CometsWin, Aug 6, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I really don't get the point...as long as they aren't taking over a minute celebrating who cares?

The Touchdown dance has always been a part of the game...Always...and so has spiking the ball. This is stupid and just takes a bit away from it for me.

It's like if the NBA told Harden to stop putting up three after he drains a three point shot...what's the point?

They are grown *** men, they can take a little taunting.

16. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Member

They obviously saw JJ Watt doing the wheelchair celebration and said that has no place in the NFL.

17. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

Apparently you can do stuff towards the crowd, ala the Lambeu Leap, I think since Arian typically bows towards the crowd, that should still be allowed...

18. droopy421

droopy421 Member

It says sack dances wont be allowed but I guess touchdown dances will? Can the Players Association appeal this? Hell I mean if the camera isn't staring directly at Watt there is barely enough time to see him salute.

19. PooleBoi7

PooleBoi7 Member

In 10 years, it's going to be the NFFL....National Flag Football League.

20. Major

Major Member

But that's one player. Did just about everyone do it as it is now? Or was it unique when a particular player did something?

I think that's the big thing. I suspect the league has just decided it's gotten to be too much and they are just trying to shut it all down because it's difficult to say "well, you can do it in these circumstances but not these other ones, etc".

Certainly true - I think Goodell has been pretty aggressive on that front too.